X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morry
    started a topic Ask Remedy...

Ask Remedy...

Here's an idea that has seemed to work well over at the Fallout 3 boards. Open to all, feel free to ask Remedy any questions except for those related to Alan Wake. Any questions directly seeking information about the game will most likely go unanswered.
    By keeping the questions open, I'm sure we should see a bit more developer interaction.

Here's a few questions to get us started and hopefully some of the Remedy staff will feel like answering a few of them.

1. What is your job at Remedy?
    2. What previous projects have you worked on at Remedy and elsewhere?
    3. What inspiration have you drawn from when developing Alan Wake eg. books, movies, games?
    4. What is your favourite type of game to play?
    5. If you could be any character from the Death Rally or Max Payne games, who would you be?
    6. If there was one game you could make a sequel for, what would it be?
    7. What is your favourite mod for the Max Payne games?
    8. What do you have on your desk at the moment?
    9. How did you get a job at Remedy?
    10. What wallpaper do you have at the moment?
    11. How is the work environment?
    12. Were you happy with the Max Payne games?
    13. What games are you looking forward to on the horizon?
    14. What games are you playing at the moment?
    15. What would be your hopes and expectations for a possible Max Payne sequel?
    16. Who would you cast as Max Payne in a possible movie?
    17. What TV shows are you interested in at the moment?
    18. Is there any merchandise for Alan Wake that hasn't been seen by the public?
    Last edited by Morry; 11-06-2009, 12:42 PM.

• Abu-Shamma
    commented on 's reply
    Hello friend. I just can’t believe that I’m reading your comment, let me explain for you by getting back 13 years ago, when I was 7 years old my oldest brother bought a computer and he installed Max Payne and some other games on it. So, I started playing these games but max Payne was number one for me and from that time up to this day, I lost the count of how much times I complete the game. On the other hand, when Alan wake came out and I played it, I was so fascinated about it and I still play this game from time to time and I know everything in it. But this is not the amazing part yet, before a while ago I started my college majoring in CS because I think it is the best way to enter the gaming industry and achieve one of my dreams which is working in Remedy Entertainment even though I don’t live in Europe. But the unbelievable coincidence for me is that I was just thinking about posting a question asking he same question you just ask. What is he best pathway to be a a games developer Because I will do whatever it takes to work in there.
    WOW isn’t that an amazing coincidence.

Abu-Shamma

• thermos
    replied
    Re: Ask Remedy...

Which direction Remedy is likely to take considering future projects? Meaning, do you prefer theme which is closer to the Twin Peaks and The X-Files or something more like CSI Miami and a twist of science? Or in other words; what do YOU would love to work on if to close eyes on all the publisher pitching and worries of making it sell well??

Favourite coffee consumed on daily basis at Remedy?

Leave a comment:

• ALoNE
    replied

I think what i will finish video for anniversary only tomorrow. It's the matter of quality. I hope you will wait for me.

Leave a comment:

• tjb4077
    replied

Not sure if I'll get a response because this is an old thread, but It's worth the shot.

Remedy Games is what got me into gaming. When I was young, I saw my dad playing Max Payne on the PC and thought it looked amazing. I had never played a game before that. I asked if I could play some and he let me have a go. I spent the next few hours playing it without a break. It was the most amazing thing I'd ever played and is my favourite game to this day. A few years later Max Payne 2 came out and I loved it just as much. A few years later I was hearing about Alan Wake, I watched the trailers and thought it looked amazing, then I saw it was made by Remedy, and I bought it instantly. It was perfect, just like all Remedy Games have been. Remedy is the company that really got me into gaming, and has always made my favourite games. I currently have over 300 games in my steam library and around 250 on Xbox, and it all started with a few amazing missions on Max Payne. Anyway, I feel like I'm dragging this out so I'll move onto the questions.

Since I first played Max Payne I've wanted to be a games developer. Most likely as a games programmer, and my dream job has always been to work for Remedy Games. I'm currently studying hard and trying to decide which path to take to achieve my ultimate goal of one day being a games programmer for Remedy, but I'm having an issue deciding which path to take. Multiple game developers say that if I want to go into game development, I should take a 3 year Computer Science degree, but I worry that won't give me the relevant knowledge for games development, and that a 3 year course based 100% on Games Development and teaching you coding and how to use all the most important tools would be far more useful to me to pursue a career in games (something like this) or whether I would be best doing a 3 year CompSci degree and then doing a year postgraduate of this degree.
    It is my dream to work for remedy one day but I have no idea which path to take to have the best shot of getting there, if anyone at RMD could give me some advice/direction on the best route it would mean a lot to me.

Kind regards.

Leave a comment:

• djshauny1
    replied

Remedy,

not sure if you can say but here goes.

Will Quantum Break be coming to the PC?

Leave a comment:

• Mirror Peak
    replied

It all makes sense now. Thanks for the reply!

Leave a comment:

• MikkiRMD
    replied

That's a good question! We're not planning on licensing Northlight, but it makes talking about our technology a lot easier when it has an established name -- that way we can talk about the things that Northlight can do, which is just a lot easier for people to remember and understand than the more vague "our technology."

Also, we don't want to say that it's the Quantum Break engine, because it's not really tied to that IP, and it would just get really confusing if we had another game using "the Quantum Break engine." It's our technology, it's what we build our games on, and I think it's a part of our identity as a game studio. It's certainly how we intend it.

And actually, now that I think of it, it's also a way of giving our tech team their props -- this way they're working on a specific piece of technology that gets recognition, rather than just slaving away behind the scenes. Considering how talented they are and how hard they work, I think it's cool that they have a specific thing they can point to and say, "yeah, I worked on that." I mean, that's not the main reason we wanted to give the technology its own identity, but I think that's a really nice bonus.
    Last edited by MikkiRMD; 06-19-2013, 09:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mirror Peak
    replied

In another thread, Lauri posted:

Originally posted by Lauri View Post
    The E3 trailer is running on a devkit powered by our brand new game engine Northlight.
    My broad ass question is, why does the engine have a name? Not trying to smack your piñata and scamper across the ground plucking up the juicy morsels you spill with my gob here, but why isn't is just called "Quantum Break Engine" or something? Normally when I read about an engine, it's because it's licensed out. Is it actually like a copyright protection thing? Or is it just "for fun-sies"?

Leave a comment:

• djshauny1
    replied

Originally posted by Ruuttu View Post
    Yeah Remedy will issue a statement "So we signed a multimillion deal with Microsoft but I gotta say the Xbox One is a terrible piece of Orwellian shit. I wouldn't touch one if it was free. But yeah the game is gonna be very good and we look forward to telling you more about it really soon."

That's not going to happen. For at least a dozen different reasons.
    Thats not what I was asking. I asked for Remedys thoughts on the backlash, not what they think of the console itself.

Leave a comment:

• Ruuttu
    replied

Yeah Remedy will issue a statement "So we signed a multimillion deal with Microsoft but I gotta say the Xbox One is a terrible piece of Orwellian shit. I wouldn't touch one if it was free. But yeah the game is gonna be very good and we look forward to telling you more about it really soon."

That's not going to happen. For at least a dozen different reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Morry
    replied

I wouldn't expect them to comment on anything about it. They're focused on making a great game for the console, and that's about as much as I would expect them to say about the matter.

Leave a comment:

• djshauny1
    replied

Remedy, what are your thoughts on the XB1 backlash?

Leave a comment:

• Jarkko
    replied

Yes the cards and badges would be really cool. I already have bunch of them.

If not right now, but please keep it in mind for the future. There will be probably lot more games with cards and AW needs to be one of them.

Leave a comment:

• MikkiRMD
    replied

That would require patching the games, and we're not planning to do that right now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X