Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State of hopes and reality of industry...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of hopes and reality of industry...

So, after reading Puha's interview on GamesBeast, I got a certain vibe on what may come, maybe, probably.

I think games like Alan Wake and Max Payne are still somewhat high in demand or atleast it feels like it, but the tendencies of industry may not be in favoure.

QUOTE: "At Nordic Game I asked Hideo Kojima if there’s a future for linear, story-driven games, single-player games. He said, “No.” That makes you think. Moving forward, characters and story are important for us. They always will be. But we’re definitely on the gameplay side when it comes to how we tell a story"

In other words, Alan Wake as we know it today probably won't make a leap to its continuation yet, atleast not as a simple single-player? Or could it?

I think the issue is not within single-player genre at all, even if it's less trending. Max Payne has a lot of emotions in it and noir theme was popular at a time. Maybe some mainstream consumers couldn't effectively make a connection with Alan Wake story ( even thought it's a real gem, the best Remedy has made in my opinion ).

Look at Naughty Dog's The Last of Us. It's a single player, it is also outstanding and sold a ton! Emotional interaction between character, bonds people care for - and you put all these precious feelings directly into the world of despair and nightmare - that's the magic formula which works for everyone. Indeed, Alan Wake isn't for everyone and maybe it shouldn't be(?)

The question is, weather Remedy can pull off a game like Alan Wake, a single player, but in a whole new level of making it a bit more attractive for everyone yet keeping its cool and noir style at the same time?

If you would ask me, I'd say they could consdier going with the twist of The X-Files, noir mystery, a bit of romance, emotionl bonding and feelings between main characters ( Mulder and Scully is a fine example ). They could investigate Alan Wake case!

I guess it is as Remedy once said: "When the time is right".

That's it. I hope this was somewhat positive. I need a coffee.
    Last edited by thermos; 11-21-2016, 05:57 PM.

The Last of Us really isn't that good.

While the game took the easy route and chose to be a simple, yet emotional story, I very much respect Alan Wake for not being like that.
    I very much respect Alan Wake for not being attractive to everyone.

Actually, Alan Wake is one of those games you only play like every 5 years.
    It's not your yearly Bethesda Mainstream RPG that everybody loves for some reason, it's not your yearly Call of Duty, that many still love.
    It's not your overrated Naughty Dog game, where everybody knows what he gets before he even played the game.
    It's something special, that doesn't do, what the mainstream does. A real gem.

And that the difference between Remedy and a studio like Naughty Dog.
    Shit, that's the reason we're all here.

Do your thing Remedy, as always, and never change.
    I've put the Imagination in its Place.

Comment

YES! THAT'S exactly right! Alan Wake is more than special and I am very thankful to Remedy they made something that outstanding and not for everyone.

P.S. I'm joining in for what you said... Do your thing Remedy, as always, and never change.
      Last edited by thermos; 11-21-2016, 05:30 PM.

Comment

(I think this was the article you were talking thermos?) That's a really interesting interview! Admittedly also at times slightly difficult to read, and I've been thinking all today of why I could appreciate the honesty but there was something which unsettled me. During the middle, the conversation drifted to Alan Wake, as there were several references to the game in Quantum Break, and for a brief moment there was the discussion of its future. " We knew we wouldn’t get to do another Alan Wake, so we wanted to at least put something in Quantum Break that fans of that game could have some fun with." And that was bittersweet statement. I really liked the references in Quantum Break. But I'm not ready for Alan Wake to be over, not just yet. I joined the forum and started a site because of that series, and through the AW community I met my partner. And the more I thought about it, the more important the series became; this safe haven started out as the Alan Wake Forums, and it feels that even years later, so much of the community's identity, and of Remedy's online presence is from those Alan Wake years. The indication (and I hope possible misinterpretation *fingers crossed*) that it's the end is sad. Deep down I like to think that since Remedy owns the IP, as long as the company is around, so will the possibility of more Wake.

No matter what happens though, we'll always have the games we have and even if there's not an instalment in the near future... I don't think we've heard the last from that guy. Things can always happen.

Getting more on track with thread and Hideo Kojima's comment. He's incredibly intelligent as well as respected (and deservedly so!), so it's interesting that he feels there's no future in linear, story-driven, single-player games (I would be really interested in learning more about his views on this). However, I'm not sure about that statement as it is; it doesn't feel like that's the case at least not yet. Thermos, you already mentioned The Last Of Us, which is a really good example! Adding to that there's also games like the Tomb Raider series, which have been incredibly successful especially since the launch of the reboot back in 2013. That series' strength has always been in that immersive single player experiences, and so much of Lara's identity is to be that independent, fearless explorer. I like a variety of games and I'm all for things evolving, but I'm not sure if the industry will move away from those type of games completely.

(Quick disclaimer: I don't work for Remedy, I just do forum stuff in my spare time. Also it's 2am here, so hopefully my post made sense. I'll probably clear up some sentence structure in the morning.)
        The Sudden Stop - Remedy Fansite

Comment

Very depressing interview. It seems that there is little hope for Wake.

I would like to know if the official statement (when the time is right) has changed to never?
          My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

Originally posted by Stammy View Post
            I would like to know if the official statement (when the time is right) has changed to never?
            Nope. And frankly, I don't see us ever saying never. Why would we? We love Alan Wake, and we'd love to work on another one, but these games are so complex to make, and certain business level things have to click into place for that to happen. We're hoping for that. But it's not something we're working on right now.
            Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

MikkiRMD But if you say this ("We love Alan Wake, and we'd love to work on another one, but these games are so complex to make, and certain business level things have to click into place for that to happen."), then please explain this (if you can/want): http://stevivor.com/2016/10/xboxs-ph...make-the-game/

I understand the following: Phil Spencer says you have to want to make it. You say that you want to make it, but complex business shit and so on.
              So I don't get it. Please help me understand. I don't want to sound rude or anything, it's just that I really don't get it right now.

Is it maybe that MS wants you to make AW 2, but with only small budget and you be like shit that's impossible bruh gif more moneh pls?

Comment

LSKzane I can explain if I may, it's a bit complicated yet not at the same time.

As a developer myself ( on a small scale that is ) I do understand Remedy yet my fan instincts are not happy. The QUESTION is - what is happenings and why?

Know this, that developers can't give you direct answers about most things becouse of company policy, etc. ( policy is another topic for another day ).

To answer the QUESTION the way I see it. Look at Remedy. They are growing in size ( around 130 employees? plus bi-directional outsorcing ) and thus as a company it needs solid projects to go on ( solid - investment with a safe return. okay, I sound like a M.Pachter now lol ). Outsorcing themselves for Smilegate's Crossfire project is a solid investment. Quantum Brake was a solid investment as Microsoft payed for everything ( correct me if I'm wrong ) and Remedy didn't have to worry about sales numbers afterwards.

Now, Alan Wake 2, currently is not a solid investment. Can it be done in the coming years? Sure! Can it be made into a solid investment? Now that depends on too many factors like condition of industry at a time as everything changes fast and faster with each year. Also, IP exposure is super important... you can make an amazing product, but if it will take too long to reach masses then that sucks.

Do core people at Remedy wan to make Alan Wake? Sure!

I appriciate how Remedy is trying to keep Alan Wake alive by inserting little easter eggs in Quantum Brake, that's a good strategy. The more people will know about Alan Wake the better chances we shall ever see Alan Wake 2.

In the end of the day it goes like "Great things are done by a series of small things brought together" V.Van Gogh

There is even more to the whole development, communication, marketing and etc process...

P.S. Remember, everything I wrote is strictly my own opinion and guesses on things *coffeetime!*

Comment

On another note and perspective; look at Valve and Half-Life 3 case. It feels somewhat similar with Remedy and Alan Wake.

Long time ago it was their trump card yet it could have been their end if not done rigth, and that's a high risk to take.

After Steam project grew into a successful money generating giant, yet again they couldn't take the risk of having anything to be announced about Half-Live 3. If you know how things work in industry then it's not hard to predict what's coming as companies tend to take logical and perspective steps into making profit.

Will Half-Life 3 ever happen? Of course it will. Time has a healing effect thus people won't be as sensitive about HL3; where as lower expectations are good for a product most of the time.

You heard it here first, you will hear about Half-Life 3 on 2018 Q2

Comment

Originally posted by LSKzane View Post
                    MikkiRMD But if you say this ("We love Alan Wake, and we'd love to work on another one, but these games are so complex to make, and certain business level things have to click into place for that to happen."), then please explain this (if you can/want): http://stevivor.com/2016/10/xboxs-ph...make-the-game/
                    Well, I'm not in a position to discuss details, but why don't we take a step back here and talk a little about how business works in general by way of analogy.

Let's say that I have a big bag of delicious candy, and you would really like to have it, because you like candy. (Who can blame you? It's candy!) Now, obviously, I'm not just going to give it to you -- it's expensive, premium candy. I'm going to want something in return. That's perfectly fair -- it's not wrong of me or unreasonable; after all, it's my candy, and I can decide who I give it to, and what kind of terms I might set for it. That's perfectly acceptable, it's how the world works. And hey, we can talk about those terms.

But once we're done negotiating and I've set my terms, you're the one who has to make a decision. Think about terms under which you would be willing to take that candy. And think about terms under which it might not seem like such a good idea. Now, if you decide to pass on the candy because we couldn't agree about the terms, I could certainly say "oh, I offered LSKzane some super delicious candy, but he wouldn't take it," which is certainly true, but from your perspective it might be a little more complex than that.

Like I said, the business case has to be there.
                    Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Jaden Considering H.Kojima. I respect the man about Metal Gear Solid series, he is amazing in what he does... hands down. Period. If we talk about the statement about how a single-player has no future, I don't think it's what he ment. It may be somewhat true for his own project and vision from his own stand point.

You can make anything at anytime and make it sell like hot buns in a cold winter night. It all depends on a product / demand, presentation and exposure. Or in other words "when the time is right".

For example, you don't need immense exposure for a new Pokemon or Super Mario game on Nintendo's console. EVERYONE knows about it and loves it thus it's easy to sell. Same goes for Tomb Raider, it's a well established IP and everyone knows about it and what to expect. Similar to Naugty Dog's The Last of Us or Uncharted(4), most know about it; also they are directly funded by Sony Computer Inc.

Someday, probably, people will lean towards massive multiplayer games and mobile even more, but not yet.

Comment

Thanks for the answer Mikki. I sure take that premium candy when its done, no matter what its called. (I fkin love candy)

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input and especially Mikki for joining the discussion.

I think it would make business sense for Remedy to keep Wake alive. The guy is loved by millions (at least a couple) and the IP is there. It's only a bad time for full-scale AAA single-only game right now. I don't know if it would make sense to do comic book or novel right now? To keep the guy alive and protect interest and the investment. I would be interested ofc.
                          My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

The Last Of Us: Part II OMFG .

There's hopinig for AW2 *wink*

Last edited by thermos; 12-05-2016, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thermos View Post
                              So, after reading Puha's interview on GamesBeast, I got a certain vibe on what may come, maybe, probably.

I think games like Alan Wake and Max Payne are still somewhat high in demand or atleast it feels like it, but the tendencies of industry may not be in favoure.

QUOTE: "At Nordic Game I asked Hideo Kojima if there’s a future for linear, story-driven games, single-player games. He said, “No.” That makes you think. Moving forward, characters and story are important for us. They always will be. But we’re definitely on the gameplay side when it comes to how we tell a story"

In other words, Alan Wake as we know it today probably won't make a leap to its continuation yet, atleast not as a simple single-player? Or could it?

I think the issue is not within single-player genre at all, even if it's less trending. Max Payne has a lot of emotions in it and noir theme was popular at a time. Maybe some mainstream consumers couldn't effectively make a connection with Alan Wake story ( even thought it's a real gem, the best Remedy has made in my opinion ).

Look at Naughty Dog's The Last of Us. It's a single player, it is also outstanding and sold a ton! Emotional interaction between character, bonds people care for - and you put all these precious feelings directly into the world of despair and nightmare - that's the magic formula which works for everyone. Indeed, Alan Wake isn't for everyone and maybe it shouldn't be(?)

The question is, weather Remedy can pull off a game like Alan Wake, a single player, but in a whole new level of making it a bit more attractive for everyone yet keeping its cool and noir style at the same time?

If you would ask me, I'd say they could consdier going with the twist of The X-Files, noir mystery, a bit of romance, emotionl bonding and feelings between main characters ( Mulder and Scully is a fine example ). They could investigate Alan Wake case!

I guess it is as Remedy once said: "When the time is right".

That's it. I hope this was somewhat positive. I need a coffee.
                              Thanks for your time and very useful information! I really appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                              X