Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make Alan Wake 2 possible... actual plan!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make Alan Wake 2 possible... actual plan!

Alright, we probably know that Remedy can't afford to invest time and money to make Alan Wake 2 a fully fledged triple-a game with 8 plus hours gameplay with all the nowdays standarts and industry changing "battle-royale" infection everywhere. Mostly becouse, well, it's not that type of a game like, for example, The Last Of Us, Red Dead Redemption or other exceptions with exceptional support for various reasons.

BUT hey! It doesn't have to be one with impossible and over the top vision! Alan Wake is a quite specific game and it has its own audience. It doesn't have to sell 5 plus million copies to be a good investment! 2 or 3 millions sold copies in a long run would suffice.

What to do? Why not to release Alan Wake 2 in parts, each part would sell for $9,9 USD and a full game would consist of 4 - 6 parts, depending on demand. It would also give a lot more development time, LOW COST and with reasonalble expectations.

What principles should Alan Wake 2 development follow(?):

*AW2 doesn't have to be super high fidelity quantum mind blowing next level experiance. No, no and no.
    *All it needs is as great story as the orignal, authentic and pretty level design, dark mystery mood and a top notch lovecraft.
    *Invest your time and energy in game elements that matter most - things that set the mood, emoutions. Which means, no online multiplayer!
    *DON'T invest in new tech that no one cares or even will ever notice!
    *Know what the Alan Wake consumer wants! Story, level design, simple yet challenging gameplay and little personal touches.
    *Dedicated team - keep the people involved in the actual development at the very minimum and don't set the bar too high for yourselves!
    *Less presure - more fun! A good chance to feel again how fun it was to make something you like without much expectations.
    *Do it for yourselves, for fans and it will find a way to the mainstream in a long term.

I presume no publisher will risk taking Alan Wake under it's cover as publishers is all about a profit deal.

Now, if you would ask me what will Remedy most probably choose to do... I'd say they will try to keep their team together which most of the time means to make whatever make the best deal, sure while trying not to deviate too far away what once made Remedy special.

P.S. Imagine reading a tweet from Remedy some day: "The whole Remedy team currently is hard at work on Alan Wake 2. Also, we are happy to announce our partner in crime and publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment with a full support. It's good to be back! Stay tunned!"

They have the tech already and the world is built (of course there should be some expanding). It shouldn't be THAT expensive to make a story-focused sequel. The fans don't need fancy tv-shows with huge productions values or Hollywood actors or any of that. Sorry Ilkka, but I think you are cheaper than Shawn Ashmore or Aidan Gillen. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also time-wise, an episode-based Alan Wake sequel should be doable between paid major projects (like Crossfire). There is always down time when the new project is still in early stages and so on. They have two teams now so come on!

In business-sense, I think it should be doable. Alan Wake is Remedy's IP that won't generate ANY money if they don't do anything with it. The game had millions of fans. Do the investors approve throwing that away?
    My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

Alan Wake is a cult classic at this point. I think there would be a good chance of a successful Kickstarter-Campaign.
      What I don't get is that thing with P7 and the new Publisher. Isn't a complete new project, based on a new IP, more risky than a sequel to a well known game? So if you ask me, P7 seems(!) like a bigger risk than Alan Wake 2 atm. And man, people are desperate for a new Alan Wake game. I am, at least.

PS: Ilkka is also cooler than Shawn or Aidan.
      I've put the Imagination in its Place.

Comment

Originally posted by LSKzane View Post
        Alan Wake is a cult classic at this point. I think there would be a good chance of a successful Kickstarter-Campaign.
        What I don't get is that thing with P7 and the new Publisher. Isn't a complete new project, based on a new IP, more risky than a sequel to a well known game? So if you ask me, P7 seems(!) like a bigger risk than Alan Wake 2 atm. And man, people are desperate for a new Alan Wake game. I am, at least.

PS: Ilkka is also cooler than Shawn or Aidan.
        I remember seeing somewhere that they are doing P7 a persistent world game. I guess someone is calculating that doing story-driven "experience lasts for 10 hours for average gamer" -game is waaay out of fashion and "continueing experience" -game will make the moneyz. Problem is that everyone and their mother are doing that. I know for a fact that Remedy's core customer is someone who loves a deep, satisfactory story-driven single player game. There will be a market for a "Remedy game" when this shallow trend of gaming grows old. I'm sure there is a market already. They just need to scale down a bit (production values for QB were crazy...) and it will be profitable.

PS: Ilkka is the coolest dude I know wearing a tweed jacket.
        My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

A few weeks ago I saw a dream where P7 had been quietly revealed to be Alan Wake 2, and it was preorderable on Steam. I was quite disappointed to wake up.

As much as I'd like things to be otherwise, I don't think AW2 will see the light of day unless a publisher is willing to fund it. So far it seems like nobody wants to do that.

Kickstarter campaigns have been successful in the past (if Alan Wake 2 popped up as one I'd gladly put my money on it), but I simply don't think that even that's gonna happen. Small indie platformers such as A Hat in Time or Shovel Knight, with teams of maybe a dozen people at best can still be funded with a few million, but I don't think a multimillion company such as Remedy, with nearly/over 200 employees could do that. Bare in mind that even some Kickstarter projects such as Yooka-Laylee had to be funded externally by a publisher (in Y-L's case, Team 17).

I'm not trying to pessimistic here, sorry if I crushed anyone's hopes and dreams accidentally. I'm just really trying to keep my hype down so that when P7 gets announced somewhere during the next decade and inevitably ends up being Not Alan Wake 2(™) I don't get immensely sad.

I can only hope P7 gets announced at E3 this year so this incredibly enduring wait can end.
          The "Alan Wake development history" fanatic strikes again!

Comment

Microsoft has been hammered for their lack of exlusive IP's recently. God of War (story driven single player game) just blowed the bank. If I were Important Remedy Guy, I would be on the phone with Important Microsoft Guy right now. It's perfect time to get funding for Alan Wake 2, depending on how fast they could move. I would imagine that they could move fast because AW2 were already in pre-production (the demo was made). And to add to the point: Alan Wake has fancy Norse Gods too!
            My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

How Microsoft is handling exclusive single-player games on the xbox one platform is a real mystery to me.
              The Hardware itself is excellent, but the software lacks and they are in desperate need of something like Alan Wake 2. But I think it's already too late for that call.
              I've put the Imagination in its Place.

Comment

I would even be up to little DLCs like "Wake Up in Bright Falls" or "Coffee time with Mr.Wake" or anything along these lines god dammit

Comment

Working...
                X