Thanks for ruining a great game with the [SPOILER]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for ruining a great game with the [SPOILER]

I absolutely love this game... till the serene fight. i was begging the whole way, please don't fuck this up. but you did.
    thanks, it could have been a flawless run.

and a cut-scene after the auto-save, really?!

The fight isn't that bad. Just focus on not getting caught by Paul's blast and take your time with the enemies. Your rush ability gives you plenty of room to get some distance and your time shield if upgraded can quickly heal you if necessary.

Comment

that not the point, this is something i see in games over and over. IT IS NOT FUN to do things over and over and over and over, because of stupid game breaking things.
      they make a 10/10 game, now because of this fight its a 5/10 or bellow.
      Thanks again Remedy way to go, I had fun up till this moment...

Comment

fuck this shit..... this has ruined the whole experience for me, i thought I was going to replay this.. nope. im deleting it. cant get past the extremely irritating "boss"

Comment

Why does this fight ruin the game exactly? Even on hard it's not too hard.
          "Reality is overrated."

Comment

I agree somewhat with the OPs feelings on this part. What kills you is visually not consistent. Yes it is red, which by itself may bring another problem for color blind people. Sometimes you see a red ball in the center and sometime there isn't one. Are they different? Who knows, both kill anyway. The big explosion cue is a bit more clear, after the first time you get killed by it that is.

The short cut scene is bad and good. Bad because its annoying after you retry a couple of times, because we have grown used to check points during multi phase bosses. It is good because it can be skipped, though that incurs a small loading, and it gives you time to move and not be surprised by any kind of cheapshot (like is the case in The Witcher 2 and 3).

Celiriarose's tip is true. Take your time, seriously, its super important. Resist the impulse to commit to emptying a whole clip. The red warning is your priority. Learn where the ammo back packs are and refill and keep moving.

The thing I really didnt like about this fight is that I died once while out of sigth of the one soldier and was moving and literally barely touching the edge of a red area. That one I thought was unfair. I should have recorded it so I could say for 100% if I was or not touching the edge of the red area.

Comment

Originally posted by NiRd View Post
              that not the point, this is something i see in games over and over. IT IS NOT FUN to do things over and over and over and over, because of stupid game breaking things.
              they make a 10/10 game, now because of this fight its a 5/10 or bellow.
              Thanks again Remedy way to go, I had fun up till this moment...
              Except nothing about it is gamebreaking. You are redoing it over and over because YOU mess up by either getting shot or not getting out of the red zone which as said is perfectly easy as long as you make that a priority and don't waste time trying to take out that one soldier or fire a couple more shots before moving. You see red you move, you get low on health you back off and let it regen. If you end up surrounded you activate your shield and then get out of there with dash when you get the chance. It's not that hard.

Comment

Yes, there are some flaws in game-design of the last fight. It is somewhat confusing to know why you died sometimes. There is so much going on with powers so Paul's instakill could come as suprise to the player.

But it's not that bad. There have been way worse boss fights.
                My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

Mods can someone rename this topic due to spoilers

Comment

Spoilers:

"​Why does this fight ruin the game exactly? Even on hard it's not too hard."

I would not say it ruins the game, at least for me, but I had some issues. I did literally die a lot when I should not have. I did avoid the red area. And I did the exact same thing when I finally made it. I had issues on this part with some of the controls not function. I had the time run/dash ability and others just not activate. I could get past the waves easy enough but no matter what I was caught by that final attack. Not sure why either. I tried running and stuff and then stopping to see if there were clear points, etc. And I always dies. Even when it appeared I should not have. And at least 8 times it froze the game when it appeared I had made it. Luckily the game reloaded at that fight. Basically, I had a lot of times when my abilities where full and I would go to dash and nothing. Shield would not pop up. I would shield and then dash out and try to avoid but no matter where I would die. And I really could have been dying of my own play but I am positive I made it by doing exactly what I was already doing. It was just that all of a sudden the red did not cover the whole area.

Honestly it was not that bad. I would just kill a couple of wave one quick and then run to the back. Let Serene do his attack and avoid. Finish the other 1-2 off. And then wait for Serene. Note: I hate how the game automatically tried to make Jack look back at first. Anyway, I run to the front and then after Serene finishes I hit him. Then the second wave. I am at the front so I wait for the doors to open and time stop and stack bullets to kill 2 yellow clad. Also do some damage to the heavy. At this point I go to the back and finish off the other enemies while dodging attacks. Up to this point pretty easy. Then they are down and Serene jumps back to the middle. It is here where I would die. I would avoid his attack with all my dash and even pop my shield and the attack literally would cover the whole area and stay around for way longer than it did on the final time (the time I made it). Not even sure why Serene's last attack was doing that. But finally I was able to just dash and make him miss and, bam, done.

Comment

While, I agree the end fight isn't that challenging... I do agree it isn't fun.
                      Instead of a well balanced, interesting and engaging fight between two people with time powers... you basically are engaging in a standard gunfight with the same enemies you've fought the entire game.
                      While trying to avoid one attack that can kill you with a single hit. One that is wildly inconsistent.

Firstly, "instakill" attacks are not fun, specially in action games. There are random times they work. Alien: Isolation for instance, it made perfect sense for them to work in that game. But here, they don't. We're given nothing to indicate to the player that Paul's attacks are that strong, or that Jack's shield can't resist them.

Second, the "area of effect" is very... uhh... wonky.
                      Multiple times did I see myself in what looked to be a very clear and safe area, only to suddenly fall down dead. Using dash to quickly escape the area, only to find... I still died.
                      When standing next to the red ball, or in a close proximity... makes sense. But, you can't use the simple idea that "the ground is... it's not safe"... as the majority of the entire area pulsates red when he attacks.

And, finally, yes... while the game has offered areas of decent challenge throughout, up to this point... it's been relatively easy. At no point in the game did it feel unfair, poorly balanced or just flat out cheap.
                      But, this fight... feels cheap. It feels poorly designed and not completely thought out. It is my one negative complaint on the game.
                      Specially since there's nothing to indicate to the player that Paul will simply keep blasting the final attack over and over after you've killed the second wave of enemies. And then, when I did kill him, the screen stayed tinted red for the following cutscene. And odd little glitch... but, annoying.

There have been much worse boss fights in other games. And yes, the fight itself is easy to get through. But, instakill attacks are not fun. They simply are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                        Mods can someone rename this topic due to spoilers
                        Spoiler subforum would be nice indeed!
                        My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

The boss fight is the most pathetic Boss fight indeed I have played for quite some time. As Paul attackes you in two distinctive waves, there should have been an autosave at the end of wave 1. Otherwise you are back to the very beginning of the fight. Not to mention most of the fight you are not even looking at the boss, but the floor for red colour. So you are not doing a boss fight, you are doing a 'floor' fight. And while you are engrossed in doing your 'floor' fight to avoid the red colour floor, the boss hits you with insta kill. Lame very lame. This is very cheap way of making the boss fight hard. Probably the developers forgot that the game is about entertainment and fun. And instead decided to make the boss fight hard in a cheap and quick way.

Comment

I do agree the checkpoint placement in this area needs work.
                            I've always hated how checkpoints for boss fights like this... time out right before a cutscene. These such checkpoints should happen immediately after the cutscene, right when you are given control.

So, if you die, you don't have to watch the cutscene over and over. And yes, you can skip the cutscene... making you sit through another load screen (though, a very short one)... being able to skip the cutscene only begs the question why wasn't the checkpoint after it instead of before?
                            And yes, there should've been a checkpoint after the first wave.

Comment

I see its not only me, I lowered the difficulty to easy and made in through... it was no fun at all, no cinematic/story feeling i have had through the game. this end game, gameplay ruined the the whole feeling/experience. I would have been much more satisfied if this only was a cut scene, and the experience would have been intact, 10/10 game...

Comment

Working...
                              X