[SPOILERS] Plot question about EOT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SPOILERS] Plot question about EOT

I've pretty much got my mind wrapped around the events that transpire through the game, but one thing that nags at me is the specific events that occur at the End of Time.

Both Present/Young Paul and Beth reached the End of Time - Paul via the University core (at the University just before the heist), and Beth via Will's core (at the Bradbury swimming pool). They then somehow manage to find "a time machine" and make it back to February 1999, which is when Will first activates his core at his workshop / Ground Zero. This means that in order to have made it back to February 1999, Paul and Beth had to have used Will's core at the End of Time.

At first I was super confused about how this could have possibly even happened, because if the fracture in October 2016 were to have caused the End of Time, Young Paul couldn't have found Will's core still located at Bradbury swimming pool. In that scenario, if Paul had known where Will's core was located at the End of Time, then "Old" Paul would have found it well before October 2016 while he was building Monarch. Instead, Old Paul learns of its location toward the end of the game.

After reading some of the other threads on this forum (ex: https://community.remedygames.com/fo...will-plot-hole) I got some clarity that there were probably actually at least one other fracture event, the latter occurring in 2020/2021 that caused the End of Time event that Paul and Beth saw, and the October 2016 fracture was patched up by Jack and Will during the game. I don't know why I didn't think of that before, since the game hits at it pretty strongly in retrospect, but oh well...

This helped give the plot a little more wiggle room for theory-crafting, but still leaves that the only way Paul and Beth would have made it back to 1999 from the End of Time is if Will or somebody between October 2016 and 2021 moved his core out of Bradbury swimming pool to another time machine more public / easy for Paul to find, be it at Monarch, the University, or somewhere else.

Is this right? Or am I missing something?

Dunno if this clears anything, but I've gathered that the time machine cores are sort of a constant in the Quantum Break universe. You can travel from a core-equipped machine to all other core-equipped machines at any time they had the core attached.

All in all there are only two cores: one moved between the university and Monarch HQ, and the second moved between Will's workshop and swimming pool. I'm guessing both of them are usable at the End of Time, but it doesn't really matter as they could've travelled from either core to any other core-equipped machine between Will's workshop 1999 (when the first time machine was activated for the first time) and End of Time.

Comment

I recommend reading the novel "quantum break zero state" for further information about Beth's experience at the end of time. While the book isn't 100% canon, I don't think there's anything in the game that contradicts anything in those chapters, so I personally consider them canon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lauri View Post
        Dunno if this clears anything, but I've gathered that the time machine cores are sort of a constant in the Quantum Break universe. You can travel from a core-equipped machine to all other core-equipped machines at any time they had the core attached.

All in all there are only two cores: one moved between the university and Monarch HQ, and the second moved between Will's workshop and swimming pool. I'm guessing both of them are usable at the End of Time, but it doesn't really matter as they could've travelled from either core to any other core-equipped machine between Will's workshop 1999 (when the first time machine was activated for the first time) and End of Time.
        ...and actually I managed to get it mixed up: the machines should be constant as in "you can travel to a core-equipped machine to any other time the exact same core-equipped machine". This means that Beth and Paul used Will's machine to get back from the End of Time.

Comment

Working...
        X