PC Patch impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Patch impressions

After some testing with the new patch, Remedy really did some magic to the game. While previously there was some general feeling that the game wasn't always running smoothly but now it does and personally, I do like the visuals like they were meant, upscaling enabled, looks bit smoother and runs way better than without the upscaling.

Being able to turn off Film Grain was a massive improvement.
    But, yes, the small tweaks and the performance improvements are huge. Being able to turn off the upscaling is very nice, and does make the game look much better.

I'll have to spend more time with it though, judging between upscaling on or off.

Comment

much better but for performance they should disable the 4xmsaa.

Comment

Quick question: you guys reporting on better performance are playing with Nvidia or AMD hardware?

Comment

Hmmm..

It seems to me the artefacts such as ghosting are still present with upscaling disabled.

It seems to me that what is likely the case here is they've gone for a rather simple method - It now seems to upscale FROM the resolution you set the game at. If it was native what would explain the ghosting that is still present. So in effect if you run the game at 4k, you are actually getting a composite to whatever another 1/3 (I think it was) added on.

Of course it isn't going to run as badly as trying to run natively at 5120x2880 or whatever, but it isn't really the solution.

It may also explain why even with upscaling off there is still x4 MSAA on.

Maybe the game needs to be reset and reloaded for it to apply, but there's nothing saying such.
          Last edited by Billzihang; 04-30-2016, 04:03 PM.

Comment

i hope the developers are reading us.The next step is to disable 4xmsaa

Comment

Originally posted by Billzihang View Post
              Hmmm..

It seems to me the artefacts such as ghosting are still present with upscaling disabled.

It seems to me that what is likely the case here is they've gone for a rather simple method - It now seems to upscale FROM the resolution you set the game at. If it was native what would explain the ghosting that is still present. So in effect if you run the game at 4k, you are actually getting a composite to whatever another 1/3 (I think it was) added on.

Of course it isn't going to run as badly as trying to run natively at 5120x2880 or whatever, but it isn't really the solution.

It may also explain why even with upscaling off there is still x4 MSAA on.

Maybe the game needs to be reset and reloaded for it to apply, but there's nothing saying such.
              4K TV? Oh man, poor people like me who just seeing it.
              I still wonder NVIDIA 3D glasses or VR can not use on it. Sometimes I worry about anti-blue light glasses will not using together about 'em.

Comment

Patch is nice and working well. For those looking for an idea for settings:

i5-4690 @ 3.5Ghz
                EVGA GTX 970 SC 4GB (362.00 Drivers)
                16GB RAM
                1920x1080 Native

Graphics Preset: Custom
                Fullscreen Mode: On
                Resolution: 1920x1080
                Lock to 30FPS: Off
                Volumetric Lighting: Medium
                Shadow Resolution: Medium
                Shadow Filtering: Medium
                Texture Resolution: Ultra
                Geometry Level of Detail: Medium
                Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: On
                Screen Space Reflections: Medium
                Effects Quality: Medium
                Global Illumination Quality: Medium
                Anti-Aliasing: Off
                Upscaling: Off

Let me explain some things.
                Textures at Ultra: According to Digital Foundry's comparisons, Ultra is equivalent to the Xbox One's texture setting.
                Everything else is set to Medium, also the Xbox One equivalent settings.
                Anti-Aliasing is off. Literally the only difference I can find when toggling it is the effect it has on hair. A minor detail, but when enabled FPS hangs around 50-55. Not worth it.
                Upscaling is pretty obvious, why not play at my native resolution?

I get a nice stable 60FPS. Now some of you might think this is terrible. "Wow! To get 60FPS you have to play at Xbox One equivalent settings? Terrible!" Not exactly. First of all, I can run the game at my native resolution. So that's a lot better than 720p upscaled to a fake 1080p. On top of that, the game is running at 60FPS. If you unlocked the Xbox One's framerate, I doubt its hardware would be able to reach 60FPS.

So that's where the nice PC hardware comes into play. Being able to get those thirty extra frames per second with the same visuals (which aren't even that bad), plus playing the game at native resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by tioslash View Post
                  Quick question: you guys reporting on better performance are playing with Nvidia or AMD hardware?
                  Nvidia
                  EVGA GTX 970, Driver set 364.72

As for performance....
                  Before the Update:
                  I was running all high settings, 1080p... and averaging about... 30fps. With dips under that, be it action, exploration... platforming. It was very sporadic.

After the Update:
                  Upscaling On: With the upscaling turned on (honestly, Film Grain off already makes it look SO much better) the game now runs at a constant 60fps. Smooth, responsive. Very rarely does it dip, and when it does... it's only by a few frames. Lowest I saw was 55, and that was during one of the most intensive moments.

Upscaling Off: With upscaling off, same settings, same location. FPS average about 35 to 50. Still, better then performance before the patch. But, not great. But, it still feels smoother then before the update.

This is with all settings at High.

Comment

Can someone please let me know if you can install the game on the HDD yet? My SSD is mainly for Windows and main multplayer only titles. I'm running out of space with these huge file sizes (127 GB in total) for Quantum Break which is absolutely crazy. never seen a game anywhere near them storage levels before.

I do have a second SSD but I like each storage space to store different content and all of my recorded content goes in there.
                    Last edited by Swift0r; 05-01-2016, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Had the game installed on my HDD since release.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift0r View Post
                        Can someone please let me know if you can install the game on the HDD yet? My SSD is mainly for Windows and main multplayer only titles. I'm running out of space with these huge file sizes (127 GB in total) for Quantum Break which is absolutely crazy. never seen a game anywhere near them storage levels before.

I do have a second SSD but I like each storage space to store different content and all of my recorded content goes in there.
                        You should not have 127 GB of space used up by Quantum Break for PC. Probably another Windows store stuff up leaving the v 1.6.0.0 folder still back in the the C:\Program Files\WindowsApp Folder. Normally it should only take up 67.5 GB of space as only the 1.7.0.0 folder should be alive in the WindowsApp folder.

Comment

The game definitely looks much sharper at native resolution and with film grain off, the game definitely looks very clean. The upscaling definitely makes the game look softer. I am actually still playing with the looks of the game. Here are some close up shot comparisons. However to be honest screenshots doesnt fo real justice. At native resolution and film grain off, the game really looks spectacular and so clean. This is how this game should have been released at release day IMHO. At native res, the performance hit is quite significant though. But this problem will be short lived IMHO with Pascal and Polaris just round the corner. This is definitely the Crysis of this year, bringing all latest and greatest graphics cards down to their knees. Next gen cards like Pascal and Polaris is where this game will blossom no doubt.

Comment

The performance hit is almost definitely tied to the always on MSAA that's applied to the game.
                            If we are giving the option to disable this MSAA and use a less resource heavy alternative, performance will definitely go up for a lot of users.

Same with the May update for the Win10 Store. Once it gives players the ability to disable V-sync, that will help a lot of people.

If they can manage those few tweaks, and Nvidia gets some optimizations into future drivers (which, we should see a new driver in the next couple of weeks for Doom's release) I think that the game will perform wonderfully on current hardware.

Comment

guys does this happen for you too? After playing for about 1 hour, game starts to stutter especially when tranisitioning in new areas... like 60-50 fps drops then back up to 60. Only way to fix this is a game restart. I also have a problem with the tv show, it runs at 30fps steady but sometimes it goes smooth while sometimes it starts to stutter. (Not a connection problem I think)
                              Last edited by xpsycho87x; 05-02-2016, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X