Really Disappointed in Game's Overall Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Disappointed in Game's Overall Performance

I want to start out by saying that I am really glad that we got this game on PC. I am a massive fan of Alan Wake, believed it was extremely underrated. When Quantum Break was first announced I thought I was just never going to get to play it at all as I can't justify buying the Xbox One. When I saw they announced Windows release I was super happy and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Unfortunately, my entire experience with the game so far as been complete shit.

At this point I have managed to force my way through Act 3 of the game but that is through pure frustration; the character and story are pretty sweet so far but I just feel like I am enjoying it way less because of all the issues with the game. Before Update 2 came out it was just downright awful trying to play, settings and the absolute lowest I could go but the game was just super choppy, stuttering, and it felt like framerate was all over the place. One major thing I noticed was my vRAM was maxing out almost instantly with GPU utilization sitting below 50% and CPU usage pegged at 100%

Since Update 2 has released I have done a bit more testing and still haven't found settings that I consider even remotely close to playable. I literally have to turn every setting at its lowest option, including resolution at 720p to get a smooth game experience, all the while the game looks like crap at that resolution. It also seems like the game is heavily CPU dependent. Even at the lowest settings the CPU is pegged at 100%, while GPU can be as low at 25%. As I scale settings up the GPU usage goes up while overall game responsiveness plummets. I haven't done any actual framerate capture yet but its easy to notice the massive framerate drops that I am gettings. I have noticed once I turn up the game's settings to where it is actually utilizing the GPU that if I enable the 30fps cap the GPU usage does go down but CPU stays maxed at 100%. Apparently the game defaults to CPU usage and then offloads to the GPU when needed?

What is even worse is that even the live action sequences are choppy. I would have at least hoped that between the game segments I would be able to just sit back and enjoy watching something for a while but its just awful. Simply playing a video has my CPU maxed at 100% usage. The worst part is that it looks like the video is playing at 15fps. It is super choppy, blurry during any amount of movement. It is hands down the worst video playback I have seen in years. It reminds me of trying to watch Youtube on one of those tiny laptops with an Atom CPU back in 2006.

I'm not even THAT upset that it doesn't support SLI. Multi-GPU support would be nice to see but I honestly don't feel it would do anything to help in this scenario. The devs have a LOT of other work that they need to do to get this PC port working properly. Again, very glad we are able to get the game on PC but in its current state it is still extremely disappointing that I went and spent $60.

PC Specs:
    Intel i5-3570K overclocked to 4.4GHz
    16GB RAM
    GTX 780Ti, watercooled and overclocked to 1180MHz

I really hope a new update comes out sometime soon to address at least some of the performance issues that are still occurring. I really do want to keep playing this game but its just not playable at this point. Definitely won't be buying Remedy games on day one anymore, will need to be waiting for performance reviews or months of patches from now on.

Unfortunately I do have to agree with you, the game on Xbox one plays at a steady 30fps, but on PC its terrible at the moment. Update #2 improved it though, still not quite there yet.
    Last edited by Trebor_UK; 05-04-2016, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Just to update I found a program to track framerate in-game. My suspicions were pretty much confirmed on the in-game side. Preset to Low, changed resolution to 1920x1080, disabled 30fps cap, and upped textures to "high". I can peak at 60fps but will hover around 55fps if just standing still staring at a wall. The biggest issue is that it will go as low as 40fps quite frequently just when moving the camera or depending on what is going on. What is strange, is that even when dropping to 40fps or so, it will swing back up and down. This swing of framerate during action, or just when something is moving around all-crazy-time-warpy its very noticeable.

Even stranger, is that if I limit to 30fps, and in the in-game "cut-scenes" it will be rock steady at 30, and then just dip to 25fps for a split second. You better believe those framerate dips are noticeable and annoying.

Further testing showed that I could use the "ultra" preset as high as 1680x1050 and have completely rock solid 60fps, never dipping lower. As soon as you move up to 1920x1080 framerate dropped all the way down to an average of 50 with drops into the 30s, not playable.

Of course all of this is with upsampling enabled. Disabling at 1080p plummets framerates down to 30fps range, ouch. That is with every other setting to low.

As for the live action episodes, the tool I am using shows a solid 30fps, but it still looks very choppy when watching.

Comment

Originally posted by NamelessTed View Post
        Just to update I found a program to track framerate in-game. My suspicions were pretty much confirmed on the in-game side. Preset to Low, changed resolution to 1920x1080, disabled 30fps cap, and upped textures to "high". I can peak at 60fps but will hover around 55fps if just standing still staring at a wall. The biggest issue is that it will go as low as 40fps quite frequently just when moving the camera or depending on what is going on. What is strange, is that even when dropping to 40fps or so, it will swing back up and down. This swing of framerate during action, or just when something is moving around all-crazy-time-warpy its very noticeable.

Even stranger, is that if I limit to 30fps, and in the in-game "cut-scenes" it will be rock steady at 30, and then just dip to 25fps for a split second. You better believe those framerate dips are noticeable and annoying.

Further testing showed that I could use the "ultra" preset as high as 1680x1050 and have completely rock solid 60fps, never dipping lower. As soon as you move up to 1920x1080 framerate dropped all the way down to an average of 50 with drops into the 30s, not playable.

Of course all of this is with upsampling enabled. Disabling at 1080p plummets framerates down to 30fps range, ouch. That is with every other setting to low.

As for the live action episodes, the tool I am using shows a solid 30fps, but it still looks very choppy when watching.
        Just so you know dude, unfortunately there are a lot of issues with nVidia cards and this game. It's still not great on radeons, but it's about 50% better performance (check out the two digitalfoundry videos on the PC version of this game, they discuss these things in detail, including the cutscenes). Hopefully some updates will fix these things.

Comment

Yes. Nvidia's support for DX12 is rather lacking at the moment.
          Driver updates will improve this some, as will future updates from Remedy that optimize the game. But, for Nvidia users... it's on Nvidia to improve their DX12 performance. Until they do that, you will experience slight frame dips.

But really, "dipping to 40s" is much better then it used to be. At launch, you'd be lucky to maintain 30, with the frame rate lock off. The recent update has drastically improved the game's performance. Future updates should continue to improve it.

Comment

Working...
          X