X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BillClay View Post

...that's unprecedented....
    It. Is. Not.
    Again... just like making stuff up don't ya?

Comment

Originally posted by Damien_Azreal View Post

It. Is. Not.
      Again... just like making stuff up don't ya?

Of course it is, stop being silly. No major developer releases games that flat-out refuse to run without a specific processor. That's amateur hour marketing.

Comment

Oh... my god.
        Every year there are games that come out that simply, flat out, will not work on specific hardware. Be it CPU, GPU... or even OS and software specific. It has been a common occurrence since PC gaming started.

It's. Why. There. Are. System. Requirements.
        SO people know what is needed to run a game.

Comment

Oh... my god.
          Every year there are games that come out that simply, flat out, will not work on specific hardware.
          How do you make up this nonsense?

Comment

Oh... my god.
            Every year there are games that come out that simply, flat out, will not work on specific hardware. Be it CPU, GPU... or even OS and software specific. It has been a common occurrence since PC gaming started.

It's. Why. There. Are. System. Requirements.
            SO people know what is needed to run a game.
            I'd be interested to see you compile a list of new-gen AAA titles for PC (except MGS in its first 24hours before it got fixed) that failed to run at all on older than recommended CPU's.

You do realize that almost all graphic intensive AAA games advertise an i5 as minimum CPU requirements, yet they all run well as long as your CPU's not a decade old? And that's not even taking overclocking into account. That makes 'old' (5-6 yo) CPU's run the latest AAA games extremely well in ULTRA settings @1080p, as long as your GPU can pull it. Most devs seem to realize this, as I'm sure you would agree on, once you start compiling that list I suggested in the first paragraph. So, wouldn't it be normal to think this game isn't any different than all of the other heavy AAA games currently available? You can't just say 'check' the requirements when just about the entire market (if not THE entire market) overstates those requirements for just about all of their games.

But it's not only that, I actually did check the requirements and since I heard it was such a bad port, I decided to wait and see what the official forums stated. At the time I checked, there was a post made by a Remedy official that clearly stated that your CPU would at least need to support SSE 4.1. My heavily overclocked Intel CPU supported just that, so I figured all would be well. We all know how that worked out, as later a Twitter statement was made that you needed SSE 4.2 instead of 4.1.

I wonder if, according to you, it is my fault that -given all the previously stated facts- I ignored the listed requirements?

On top of that SSE 4.2 adds some more specialized instructions for CRC checks as were SSE 4.1 is where generally the magic happens (DirectXMath especially). In laymen therms, there should be little reason to really require 4.2 over 4.1 for gaming software, as you can see for yourself in your empty (or very short) list, should you choose to compile it. Remedy has proven this already really, it does run fine on some AMD CPU's now without SSE 4.2.

Now don't get me wrong, I get that you like the game and support the developers, and I even read some valid points you're making. But when taking into account the reality of the current way system requirements are published by all the other companies, can't you at least understand that people are upset? Then I don't even mention the sudden switch from SSE 4.1 to 4.2 requirements (and back again for AMD CPU's) and the time it takes for Remedy to react.

So yeah, maybe Remedy bit off more than they could chew, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's literally the only AAA game that people, with far from obsolete CPU's, can't run at all.

Comment

And, as said before, was the best selling new IP for Microsoft this generation.

Hate to say I told you so, but Microsoft is already writing it off...

"Phil Spencer, head of the Xbox team at Microsoft, was talking on Giant Bomb's E3 stream, via GameSpot... While some games have done well in the Windows Store, with Spencer naming both Forza 6 Apex and Killer Instinct as successful titles, he said that "Quantum Break wasn't our best PC release" and that Gears of War Ultimate Edition was merely "OK."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/microsoft-will-use-steam-to-sell-windows-games-not-just-its-own-store/

"Quantum Break also had a poor 2nd month, the game has yet to sell over 200k at retail in the US according to NPD's Packaged Software feed."

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/741333953475444737

Perhaps sales would have been better if the game actually played on a wider variety of computer systems? Coding a game to intentionally exclude certain processors is a sure way to limit sales and generate bad word of mouth.

Comment

What we can do?

Comment

Originally posted by Gl_Proxy View Post
                  What we can do?

At this point we're just twisting in the wind. Online gaming forums for Quantum Break like Reddit have been deserted by users, and this website is like a ghost town. It's almost to the point where this is an abandoned game. Lesson learned - never buy a game from the Windows Store. At least Steam guarantees refunds for broken or unplayable games.

Comment

Working...
                  X