Congratulations, Remedy: this is one of the least optimised games in PC gaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catalin32 View Post
    At least you guys can play it. With the latest update from july 1st, we the core2quad owners still have the POPCNT limitation. Remedy is lol at us. Shame on you Remedy! Hope you get in default soon!

With the poor reception that the game's received, what would it hurt to open it up to more players? Removing arbitrary hardware limitations isn't going to cost them any sales at this late date.

Comment

Maniac, you make some mistakes,sorry for saying. Please don't compare a necessary cpu instruction like the math co-processor for quake wich was indeed needed for complex calculation of the 3d envir. of the new quake engine vs. old bitman engines with some unnecessary ones like the one in our case - sse 4.2 vs sse 4.1 or the worst case scenario POPCNT. The latter are completely redundant in my opinion and were made use only for artificial limitations when in fact cpus like core2quad didn't need them for a smooth quantum break gaming experience.
      Think twice.

Comment

Actually I was trying to inject some humor to the thread by giving you young whipper snappers a history lesson.
        Last edited by Maniac; 07-03-2016, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post

Well...I can. In fact I felt like I did, but you just didn't accept my reasoning. That's fine, you don't have to. Quantum Break has more than just top of the line graphics fidelity, it uses CPU and graphic features in unique ways to do effects like the time stutters. Without those hardware features (which the consoles already have) your PC essentiallycan't make the effect work, and if a way is made to have the software do it without the hardware feature, your PC would slow down as it tried to emulate the effect, to an extreme of grinding the game to a halt. That's not even including how much system resources your OS or background programs were taking up (anti virus, office, etc). So if your system can't meet the requirements, it either would not work, or run so poorly you'd still complain.
          AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. I am sorry but thanks for the laughs.

Here are the Xbox One's specs for you:
          RAM 8GB DDR3 Clock: 2133MHz Bandwidth: 68.26 GB/s + 32MB eSRAM Bandwidth: 204 GB/s(102 In/102 Out) [3]
          Flash Memory 8GB Flash Memory [4]
          CPU 8 Core AMD custom CPU Frequency: 1.75 GHz [5]
          GPU Clock Speed: 853 MHz(originally 800 MHz) Shader Cores: 768 Peak Throughput: 1.31 TFLOPS [6]
          Look, I won't embarrass the One's video capabilities especially by comparing its clock speed and throughput (Teraflops) with my 1080. Let's try my last card (and the reference version at that only - which is slower than my aftermarket one), shall we? It's the GTX 970. Clock speed = 1050; 3.91 teraflops. And my CPU turbos up to 4.2 Ghz without being overclocked. It would be cruel to detail my 1080's stats compared to the Xbox One, the main platform for QB.

And if the stats aren't enough for you, here's another truth: it is not a top of the line PC is struggling with QB. What the Youtube video and my experience shows is this: pushed to a MUCH higher level than what your current console can ever achieve in terms of graphical resolution and other settings, what I and the Youtuber are complaining about is that relative to other PC games that are much better looking and have far more going on, it runs terribly. But this is still a relative issue. In terms of FPS and graphical fidelity, our experience still kicks any console to the curb. My complaint more specifically is this: with top of the line hardware I have been able to run current games at maximum settings (which, again, before you forget totally kills what someone can get on a console) at much more relatively playable framerates consistently, i.e. over 45 at least or well north of 60 FPS in most instances. This is not expressed in the past tense because it is happening NOW. In fact, with my 1080, running at 1440p (which has a pixel density of multitudes more than the many native 720p games on consoles) getting 80+ FPS on maximum settings is the norm across all but one or two games. And based on my hardware specs and what developers are saying, there is a good basis for believing that this will continue, but certainly not with Remedy games.

As for what will happen when the likes of the Scorpio comes along, let's wait till 2017 and speak, shall we? But currently we know that, for example, its video card has 6 teraflops of processing power. The GTX 1070 has 6.5; the 1080 has around 9. Unless Microsoft (they will have the most powerful semi-next gen console) will somehow price their console at prices hitherto unheard of, at best the Scorpio will be equivalent to a mid-ranged PC at its initial release and will soon be well behind hardware-wise, as per the norm.

Undoubtedly it is easier to optimise for consoles and it is a joy to see what good developers like Naughty Dog have achieved with Uncharted 4, which looks and runs amazing on limited hardware. Same for the developers of the Forza series. But the powers of a top of the line PC are not diminished to any great degree by the background stuff like the OS. One only needs to look at CPU and ram usage on bootup - my CPU is usually utilised at around 1 to 2% max and I have plenty of ram. Sorry but there's nothing in the consoles that can really "target" or stretch a PC. If anything stretches it, it's either poor coding or deliberate choices by PC gamers to run things at settings that console gamers can only dream of. And before you ask, I still love the convenience and exclusives on my PS4. So I am no PC fanboy.

Comment

Glad to give you a laugh.

On a side note how well does that system play Vampire Bloodlines? (Asking for a friend)
            Last edited by Maniac; 07-03-2016, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Not particularly interested in revisiting such an old game. I don't even know where my original discs are.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                So if your system can't meet the requirements, it either would not work, or run so poorly you'd still complain.
                You should be Remedy Employee of the Month! You would fit right in with their attitude of "We don't care what customers want. We'll decide for you what's acceptable." They must know better than us, look how successful the game has become!

Comment

Originally posted by BillClay View Post

You should be Remedy Employee of the Month! You would fit right in with their attitude of "We don't care what customers want. We'll decide for you what's acceptable." They must know better than us, look how successful the game has become!
                  100% agree with BillClay. If indeed that's the case and Remedy gets to decide everything, why launch the game on pc?Stick with Xbox One release! PC Gaming means flexibility, means different configurations, below or above minimum specs. No matter what the configurations are, we have the right to launch the game. Plus, don't sell me donuts saying that Core2Quads (Q9550 at 3,4 Ghz in my case) are performing bad comparing with the newcomers I5. Please....What are we talking about here?

Comment

Originally posted by catalin32 View Post
                    No matter what the configurations are, we have the right to launch the game.
                    That is the key point right there. Customers have a right to launch the game and decide for themselves what type of performance is acceptable to them. It is unprecedented for a game company to sell you a game that refuses to launch if it doesn't like your hardware configuration. It's really shows that Remedy has a lack of faith in Quantum Break when they refuse to let customers launch it unless they have the newest hardware.

Comment

The problem with your reasoning is that the thing is about rights and not incompatibility. It's not a matter of letting you play the game. They have to somehow adapt it to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollo View Post
                        The problem with your reasoning is that the thing is about rights and not incompatibility. It's not a matter of letting you play the game. They have to somehow adapt it to do so.
                        They were able to remove the SSE limitation, and it was proven that it was not essential to play the game. Removing the POPCNT limitation is no different.

Comment

I don't get it. Alan Wake on PC still looks WAY better than this and runs amazing on my Titan X @ 4k...I bought it on day one with zero issues. While this runs like a joke...and I got it after all these patches. Batman Arkham Knight was another example where the PC version just sucked but they fixed it and now it's the definitive edition. I really hope Remedy doesn't stop working on it...it's amazing to see a gfx card like GTX 1080 struggle on a game that doesn't even have anything flashy.

Comment

Remedy, are you even working on a patch to improve the performance? There's been no communication-you released a patch more than a month ago and we still don't know what it was for(not to improve the performance I can tell you that for sure). Would you at least confirm if you are still supporting the PC version or you gave up on it?

Comment

Working...
                            X