Interview with Maddieman.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cypress
    started a topic Interview with Maddieman.

Interview with Maddieman.

With the release of the first Max Payne game a new gaming community was born. The game used to have a big and very ambitious modding scene that evolved with the release of the sequel, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne.

When one creates a modification for a game, the rules within that game might change or new levels, skins, music and weapons are added. Most important, modifications extend the replay value of a game and inspire so called ”modders” to be as creative as possible with the tools given to bring their idea in the game.

One of the people who was successful in doing this was Jon Hallier. He’s probably better known by his alias Maddieman. As Maddieman, he worked on a few very successful Max Payne mods like Polar Paradise, The Real World and most notably; Katana.

I recently sat down with Jon to ask him a few questions about his personal life, Max Payne and his vision for the future. As it turned out, the answers to many of my questions were quite long and make a very good read. So, I’d like to welcome you to part one of a three part interview; Max Payne & Modifications.

Click here to read!

Thanks again Jon, for all the effort and the awesome interview!

• Kahr
    replied
    Re: Interview with Maddieman.

Aye. Wether or not a game is "art" is a discussion I'm not touching. But then, isn't art subjective? Isn't it up to each individual to decide? Honestly I don't care what we call it, as long as they keep making games.

As far as the distinction between a game and an interactive story goes, I suppose I see your point. Seeing more and more of these kinds of "games", perhaps it would be better if we tossed a new "Interactive Story"-tag on 'em, instead of calling them games. At least then you wouldn't have people buying a "game" and then complaining about not being able to "play" it. Again, to me it doesn't make much of a difference. If I'm looking for actual gameplay, I aim for games that I know are heavy on that. If I'm looking for story, I aim for... yes, that. And interactive stories can be a nice change whenever I feel like relaxing or just being told a good story.

Leave a comment:

• Morry
    replied

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
    I can't remember if it made the cut, but one argument I put forward was the idea that we're going to see more interactive narratives (think Dear Esther) as opposed to 'games' -- or at least the line is being blurred -- and it's perhaps it's not appropriate to call them video games anymore, or at least make a distinction between a game and interactive entertainment.
    This also starts to head towards the passionate argument about video games being considered "art"...

Leave a comment:

• Maddieman
    replied

Originally posted by Kahr View Post
    Hehe. That was a long and interesting answer. It does make sense though. It's not the easiest question in the world to answer, as I'm sure a lot of designers could easily produce a different set of answers, but I think the bottom line would pretty much be more or less the same. It's as much individual as it is a general term.
    Yes the first attempts got tied up into a lot of heavy discourse about traditional vs electronic games, and how they're now evolving from computer games, to what I think of more as interactive storytelling (which to explain requires a protracted discussion of meaningful choice and what does and doesn't qualify as a 'game').

I can't remember if it made the cut, but one argument I put forward was the idea that we're going to see more interactive narratives (think Dear Esther) as opposed to 'games' -- or at least the line is being blurred -- and it's perhaps it's not appropriate to call them video games anymore, or at least make a distinction between a game and interactive entertainment.

Leave a comment:

• Cypress
    replied

The final Part is now live: http://paynereactor.com/interview-maddieman-part-3/

Thanks for the kind words guys, and thanks again Jon!

Leave a comment:

• Kahr
    replied

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
    I ended up writing about three different answers to that 'what is a videogame designer' question. I hope the final draft made sense. :S
    Hehe. That was a long and interesting answer. It does make sense though. It's not the easiest question in the world to answer, as I'm sure a lot of designers could easily produce a different set of answers, but I think the bottom line would pretty much be more or less the same. It's as much individual as it is a general term.

Leave a comment:

• Maddieman
    replied

I ended up writing about three different answers to that 'what is a videogame designer' question. I hope the final draft made sense. :S

>>>The final chapter is due soon.
    Sounds ominous.

Leave a comment:

• Kahr
    replied

I like it. Looking forward to part three.

Leave a comment:

• Cypress
    replied

Part 2 is now live! Thank you all for the kind response. Maddieman has provided me with some new and exclusive screenshots of The Real World to accompany the second part.

Read it here: http://paynereactor.com/interview-maddieman-part-2/

The final chapter is due soon.

Leave a comment:

• Kahr
    replied

Called it.

Leave a comment:

• Maddieman
    replied

Urgh... this is weird to me.

Leave a comment:

• Kahr
    replied

Why hello there Pete. What's next, we gonna have Maddie pop by to comment on his own interview? Now THAT'd be a fun "coincidence".

Leave a comment:

• djshauny1
    replied

Originally posted by sidetwo View Post
    Ver cool interview and especially with such an inspirational person. Great job, Cypress!

Maddie was a big influence for me and it's great that others can read about what he achieved!
    Peeeeteeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!

Hows it goin man?

Leave a comment:

• sidetwo
    replied

Ver cool interview and especially with such an inspirational person. Great job, Cypress!

Maddie was a big influence for me and it's great that others can read about what he achieved!

Leave a comment:

• Kahr
    replied

That was a fun read. Thank you for sharing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X