X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold fusion 33
    started a topic Remedy's Dev Tools

Remedy's Dev Tools

I'm a great fan of Alan Wake and the Max Payne series, and I also do a lot of 3D design, using 3DS Max in particular. What I want to know is, what tools do Remedy use to make such a great game as Alan Wake? Maya? 3DS Max?
    I know this may sound like a very redundant question, but I'm as interested in the development of a game as I am when I finally get to play it.

• Bender Bending
    replied
    Re: Remedy's Dev Tools

Please Relase Dev Tools for PC. I want create remake of Max Payne game. You just might make it...
    I work on your Max FX 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncQIFh-3RzQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfqxTfUWKKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FED0ShWObU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBZsejmDzQU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kohOmJadO14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwSSnpycOzw
    Last edited by Bender Bending; 06-27-2010, 09:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Salt The Fries
    replied

What was the most expensive part of production and why Were there any failed ideas that you had to re-work from the ground-up and what it was

Leave a comment:

• MarkusRMD
    replied

I guess we could, but I don't know the best way to do it so that it would make sense...

We still have a similar scripting style than in Max but it's quite a bit more flexible. The particle editing is built in to WorldEditor.

Leave a comment:

• kexik
    replied

Could you guys from Remedy release quite more about your WorldEditor? Post some screenshot(s) of it and at least list some features? I have seen ParticleFX and MaxEd used for MaxPayne and that was very cool and feature-rich! Are you still using FSM feature? I am interested in level editor and toolset design as a tool developer. Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by kexik; 06-02-2010, 11:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Maddieman
    replied

I remember Markus mentioning something about the levels being having ambient occlusion prerendered into the maps on top of the dynamic/volumetric lighting. That's pretty clever when you think about it, because the AO doesn't need to change with the rest of the lighting (e.g. from day to night), but offers a subtle (yet significant) improvement to the visuals.

Personally I'd be interested to know if Remedy experimented with, and had any success with realtime subsurface scattering on the characters (and if so, how). That's been all the rage in rendering for the last 5-7 years or so, and it's only a matter of time before it becomes commonplace in games (I know Crysis used it, but I'm not sure about other games). Regardless, the characters look great with or without it.

By the way, thanks for following up the point on mod tools, SamiV. I didn't think it would be possible for this generation of consoles, but how about the next one? Thinking back on how I got started, Max Payne was the perfect introduction to modern 3d games design -- great tools, good documentation, and plenty of support and encouragement from the developers. And the Max Payne mod community must have one of the best modder-to-game developer success rates -- practically everyone from that scene is working in the industry now (except yours truly ).

But these days, games are a heck of a lot larger and more complicated (not to mention the third party license issues Markus was talking about). I'm concerned that it's getting a lot harder for up-and-coming modders to cut teeth in this line of work (I mean, even MaxED was a steep learning curve). There's still a lot of support from Epic and Valve, but with this general shift towards consoles (intentional or not) I wouldn't blame other developers for saying "Ah, lets just focus on the game".
    Last edited by Maddieman; 02-22-2010, 04:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GENE_BC
    replied

In another forum, someone wanted me to ask you a question. So samiV, please answer if it's possible.

We see the game has a very nice lighting and shading system.
    Can you explain more about it. What tools and methods do you utilize?

Leave a comment:

• samivRMD
    replied

This is purely speculation, perhaps piggybagging the XNA toolchain might open some windows - I'll need to ping the Epic/Valve guys if they have any experience in this - basically allowing an XNA title (E.g, homebrew content/code) to interact with a retail title.

Somehow my gut feeling tells me this won't be possible due to Xbox executable and data signing though... There might be some leeway as LIVE allows certain titles to share data (Mass Effect savegames, Rock Band songs etc).

Given the complications, I wouldn't really hold my breath on anything about us being able to publish dev tools for Xbox 360.

SamiV.

Leave a comment:

• Maddieman
    replied

MaxED/FX maybe getting on a bit, but it's still a solid (albeit damned stubborn at times) tool kit. It might not be state of the art anymore, but it's well documented and you can learn a lot of game design fundamentals from it.

http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayn...xED/index.html

We're talking about 100+GB of data.
    Instead of releasing it, just give us modders access to your game database / servers.

I'm joking, but, hypothetically, is there any way something like this could work in the future? (not for Alan Wake, but a possible sequel) As in, modders download some kind of basic editing tools (and perhaps pay a small fee to cover the overhead); but the game database, assets, and 3rd party tools are hosted on a server somewhere which can't be edited or downloaded. Instead, modders just make modifications to levels, which are then saved locally, and only store level geometry and references to the real assets. When it comes to compiling your mod/level, you send your level file to the server, and it just outputs the memory image (like an mpm of sorts), which modders can then share (somehow).

Hugely impractical and very limited (we're talking at most basic level design with the available assets), but it would at least be something. It might also focus modders on level design, instead of kung fu, weapon mods, polar bears, and all that.

Is any of this remotely feasible or am I talking nonsense?

I'm curious, because I don't see games like Alan Wake getting any smaller or less complicated.
    Last edited by Maddieman; 01-19-2010, 11:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MarkusRMD
    replied

Hypothetically, releasing something like our WorldEditor would not be a small feat in itself, and the two biggest reasons are that there are some 3rd party license issues that may make it expensive or difficult (as one example needign to rip out the xbox360 libraries etc.), and it's pretty heavily integrated to our network and version control database.

It also needs assets (objects, textures etc.) in a different format than what the game eats (game only loads "memory images", i.e. pre-processed platform-specific assets). So to be able to mod anything we'd need to release our library of raw textures 3D meshes, sounds, and so on. We're talking about 100+GB of data.

That would make it impractical. Not impossible, but impractical. And thus somewhat improbable.

Leave a comment:

• WakeLestat360
    replied

Well, i have already make something on Blender...

Oh well, let me see if i have here...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dado.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	236376

Yep, i'm very newbie on these... but for me, it's Monalisa...

Leave a comment:

• AnttiApina
    replied

Speaking about, modelling tools, here is a great freeware sculpting program: http://www.drpetter.se/project_sculpt.html

You should also try Blender, which is also a freeware modelling tool.

Leave a comment:

• cold fusion 33
    replied

Yeah, 3DS Max is very overwhelming to start off with, it's a massive leap coming from a simple program such as SketchUp, but it's worth it so far, having a much better interface and workflow, which takes substantially less time for most tasks than SketchUp does.

I'm not going to go asking you guys at Remedy about the possibilities of Alan Wake on PC, but I am a great fan of modding, the Grand Theft Auto renderware and RAGE engines primarily, but am moving to the Unity3D engine because of Rockstar Game's lack of support for the modding of their engines. I know that a developer's kit was released for the Max Payne games, but if Alan were to see the light of the PC platform, what would be your take on people modding the game?
    I'm sorry if the things that I have just spoken about go against the rules of this board, I've only just joined here and would be happy to edit my post and get rid of the discussion of modding.

Thanks,
    George

Leave a comment:

• anttitRMD
    replied

If you want to get started with 3d graphics, 3dsmax is not the only path to enlightenment even if it is probably the most common one. In my opinion, the "juggernauts" of 3d graphics (3dsmax, Maya, XSI etc.) can be quite overwhelming in the beginning since you can do almost anything with them: modeling, texturing, rigging, animation, lighting, particles, rendering and much more.

I'd recommend trying out some other programs that are much more focused in their scope like Modo or Silo. Silo is one of my favorite programs: you can't do much more than just polygon/subdivision surface modeling in it and some basic texturing but it does it in a very streamlined and efficient manner. And that might be all you need for doing the 3D graphics for some simple game project. It's cheap too. There's also a free software called Wings 3D which I have not tried out myself but I've heard that it's a pretty decent modeling tool.

Then there's also the sculpting approach (Mudbox and ZBrush) that might be quite appealing to many beginners (because advanced users of these programs keep on flooding graphics forums with super detailed eyecandy ) but they are not very good for learning about the core basics of 3D graphics that are common across pretty much any 3D software or game engine. But they're loads of fun to mess around with, especially if you happen to have a graphics tablet, and having fun often is the best motivator for learning so they are always worth a try

Leave a comment:

• djshauny1
    replied

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
    We use 3dsmax for object modeling.

It's an expensive piece of software, I think about 5000 euro per seat for the network license we have. Please don't ask about where to download it on these forums.

Maya is also a good tool, and if you can do good work in one 3d graphics package you can probably move to another pretty easily.

In any case one of the key tools for making the environments is our own tool, WorldEditor.
    Markus, Is there a good site where i could buy world editor from?
    Or is it a remedy only piece of software??

Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X