The Official Users Art & Design Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official Users Design Thread

Got another request by a friend. I tried my best conjuring something using two images he presented me, and the words "you make up the text!". Right...

"So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

You need antialiasing on your text, it makes it very hard to read on all your sigs.

Comment

I don't want you to read.
        "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Then don't put text in :heh:
          Yes, you.

Comment

Neh, I was trying to find a gothic-like text to fit with the image.

Comment

An assignment I'm doing for uni. I have to create a fully mysql and php driven site.

I've got it so it lists all conferences from the databases, averages out ratings (taken from reviews/comments) and you can also add comments and all that.

The only thing I've yet to do is allow administrator logins and the sort preferences on the side panel there.

Everything else is modular and the design is css based.

I'm happy with how it's going so far

Oh yeah I stole the Google "X - Y of Z" thing at the top of the site above Pages: -- I liked the way they had it show how many results were listed and the total. This wasn't even needed for the assignment but I got carried away

Comment

It looks nice and clean. I'm not entierly sure with the colors. Blue and red? Hm.

Comment

Haha are you serious? I think the colors look great. Plus these are the corporate colors for the organisation anyway but I really like them.

Comment

I think the colour scheme looks good -- corporate, but that's the point. So yeah, nice work ADM. How long have you been working on it?

Comment

Probably about 6 hours all up heh. I've been really lazy with it so I spent one night to deck all of it all out really quickly.

It's due tomorrow so I'm going to put in another couple of hours tonight to finish off all the programming/design side of it so tomorrow I can just focus on the documentation side.

Comment

Originally posted by ADM View Post
                        Haha are you serious?
                        Yes, I seriously dislike red and blue being used together like that. But hey, if it's the corporate colors...

Comment

I'm working on an online portfolio to present my mod and uni game projects, and I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips for portfolio design, or links to good/bad examples. Bear in mind that I'm not a web/flash guru -- I'm more interested in good design and layouts, than swish flash sites.

The way I see it working currently is a simple main page with large-ish thumbnails of each project in the centre, like Katana, which then link to a page on each. Each page would then have a basic overview of the project and related screenshots, videos, press (if any) downloads, etc. If I have time, I might also write postmortems for the projects as well. That way it would work both as a portfolio site, and a promotional one for the mods.

I'll post more on this as I make it, but I'd gladly appreciate any suggestions, tips, or links you guys might have.

Comment

I also started working on such a website a couple of months ago. I advice you to look for level design portfolios on Google http://www.google.com/search?q=level+design+portfolio

The ones I checked mostly looked like crap but some of them had good plan & categorization, if that's a word. Level designers don't seem very good at website design in general... and I guess I should count myself in

You might be able to find some good ways to present the information by looking into web designers' portfolios (that's part of their job after all.) My favourite one is http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~ics4dpb/

Comment

Yeah that's definitely along the lines of what I'm looking for, although you're right, the quality is somewhat varied. Also it's tricky when your forte is gameplay & production, not graphics.

Since I'm studying project management, I guess I want to emphasize the whole 'projects' aspect. Ideally I'd make each project page a micro site in it's own right, much like an actual game website. Then, along with screenshots and videos, would be details of the actual project, like what I did, the duration, post mortem etc.

That's something I tried with Katana although the design sucks there, and I'd do it totally different now. The closest I ever got to what I had in mind was a fake box art for the mod:

For this kind of thing, I definitely prefer the one-screen flash websites that are typical for a lot of game and film promotional sites. The well designed ones are simple and compact. Problem is, I don't know how to use flash for websites, but it's more the design style I like, than the interaction.

Comment

I personally ain't too found of full-flash websites. Of course you can do more impressive stuff, but it has a whole lot of downsides aswell, and needs much more work. But I agree: showing gameplay/scripting on a website is the main problem I had aswell. I guess a showreel would be a plus, but I wasn't up to look into that yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X