The Official Users Art & Design Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official Users Design Thread

I hate flash sites. They run like total ass and are usually a bitch to navigate. Not to meantion the "LOADING" that you get every time you try to access the site.

Didn't stratonace have a nice portfolio site? I doubt its still up, but if you're still in contact with him, maby you could ask.
    <insert cool digital image here>

Comment

Yes everyone hates bloated flash sites, with annoying music that drowns out your mp3 player; intros that take ages to load; and characters that jump out on screen without warning -- that's not quite what I meant.

What I like about promotional websites is the notion of having everything contained within the one screen -- like a video game interface or a presentation; with content accessed from a central navigation. Not the kind of pages that have content dropping all the way off the screen (allthough that site Corwin linked was pretty cool). That's fine for blogs and news sites, but I don't think it's suited for presentations or pomotion work, which is essentially what a portfolio is.

Look at the Alan Wake homepage - with the exception of the forums and press pages, everything is designed to be contained on the screen. All of the critical content is in centre, so that the user doesn't 'miss' anything important. It also demonstrates that you don't need flash for this, though game sites typically use it for screenshot slideshows. Where things go wrong I think, is when the flash becomes too dominant, and the site becomes difficult to navigate -- God of War being a good example.

I also quite like the style of this outsourcing site: http://www.liquiddevelopment.com/

Although it uses scrolling, everything is contained on the one screen, and each project has it's own seperate page with example works. I wouldn't say it's perfect, but it's close to what I'd like to do.

EDIT: Actually, checking out the websites for professional art outsourcers seems to offer a MUCH better selection of portfolio styles. It would probably fit the project/level design format pretty well.

Didn't stratonace have a nice portfolio site? I doubt its still up, but if you're still in contact with him, maby you could ask.
      Yeah I found his old one, but I don't think it was up to date.

Comment

Arghh .... that reminds me how shitty an online portfolio I have. But I have no choice ..... no time to work on it ...... at least not in the next few months.
        LinkedIn Profile

Comment

Posted up a website for a project of mine yesterday. The project might not be interesting to everyone, but I'm more forwarding the design here.

http://arias.cruxious.org
          "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Not bad but again the text in the top links need to be anti-aliased. They look terrible, sorry

Comment

What is it about you and anti-aliasing?

It's supposed to have a sort of fancy-looking font. It's fantasy-related.
              "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

It can still have the exact same font if you apply some anti-aliasing to the edges and smooth them out.

As it is it looks too blocky and doesn't suit the blending used in the top banner image.

Comment

I second ADM about that header font. It's not about the fantasy-style at all; for instance, look at GuildWars' website http://www.guildwars.com/ , most fonts other than full text are fantasy related, and even the less fancy-looking ones are smooth, making them easier to read and less eye-catchy.
                  Though, that's your website after all, it owes to look as you want it to look.

Comment

I'm not really having a hard time reading that text at all. I'll try anti-aliasing it and see how it goes.

Comment

Yeah, so I added some anti-aliasing to it. I honstly don't see much of a difference though. Do you guys?

Comment

Nope because theres no anti-aliasing on it. I cleared the cache and it looks exactly the same as before.

Comment

I did add anti-aliasing. And I uploaded it. Don't blame me!

Comment

What image editing software do you use?

Comment

Photoshop CS 2.

Comment

Ok so select your text and at the top on the right of the font size options is two a's -- select smooth from that menu.

Comment

Working...
                                X