Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official Users Design Thread

That's what I did.
    "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Well it definitely would work that way. Anyway I give up.

Comment

I can try again.
        "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Okay, I'm still working on the portfolio thing, and I'm starting to get somewhere with the design.

However, today I started to fool around the idea of using the Alan Wake and Max Payne themes, and I thought I'd share the result. I'm not sure I'll stick with them (because of trademarks), but I thought they were pretty neat.

The idea is that it would work like http://www.liquiddevelopment.com/ with the white box containing various projects I've worked on. When you click on the icon, it would take you to a new page, showing various details of the project, screenshots, and a download link.

Of course none of this is finished yet (I'm not adding graphics/banners to the design until I settle on a colour scheme), but feedback is welcome.
          Attached Files

Comment

I know that's a pretty picky one, but I'm not too fond of the bright inner light going around the main frame and the menu. I don't think it's the presence of it that hit me, but the way it looks doesn't add to the whole page, making it look kind of amateur IMO.

I like the title display in the first shot, not in the second one though. Looks too simple, flat, if you ask me. I also wouldn't have put Productions bigger than your name in the second shot.

On the positive side , I believe the layout is clean and efficient, considering how one reads a web page (name, menu, content of the frame).

---

I also worked some more on a portfolio. I'm still not happy with it (and starting to wonder if I'll ever be), so I'm already working on new visuals/layout. For now, it comes in 3 versions, depending on the time of day.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Corwin, I'll definitely try out some of your suggestions -- I'm still experimenting at this stage. Never occurred to me to try switching the size of the name vs productions in the alan wake one, though it was done last minute.

Your site looks impressive -- I prefer the 'day' version myself, but it's pretty cool (albeit gimmicky) that it changes with the time of day. The presentation of the thumbnails & mod info look extremely neat and professional looking. Also the simplicity of the design forces attention to the screenshots, which is probably a good thing.

If I had to criticise, I'd say the overall theme doesn't quite match the actual content. It's functional, but lacks the personal touch. I get why you went with construction/sunset background, but I would either go with something more consistent with gaming, mods and level design (especially if you're shooting for a gameplay position). As it stands, it looks fine and sufficiently engaging, but I'm not sure how unique and memorable it would be. Maybe a banner or title graphic would make up for it.

I can't really offer any practical advice on how to do this though.

Spoiler:

Comment

Heh, I made a header & a menu alright, on the top of the page, but I'm not so happy with them, and taking a shot of these would mean showing the presentation of unannounced projects like that cool one with Mona in it , as they come first in the page (most recent work first). This is why I wasn't so keen on showing that part...

I really agree with your point though, and that's why I'm going to change it, probably only keeping the vertical display of projects & part of the mods presentation (thumbnails -- summary info and links). So far it's more similar to a web design demo (lots of transparency, multi-browser support, complex CSS etc) than a level designer portfolio. I'll try to keep your advices in mind when working on the new version

I'm not the uber-king of the websites, but if you need any 'technical help' with your own site, just ask!

Comment

Thanks Corwin, I might just take you up on that offer.

Here's the latest version taking into account Corwin's suggestions. No real banner or other graphics yet, and both styles are still very much based on Alan Wake & Max Payne.

The Wake one is visually much simpler than the Max one, but I prefer the colour scheme. That said, I thought the rain background came out nice for the Max design. However, I can't really tell if removing the highlights on the frame border has made an improvement or not. I got rid of the 'productions' bit on the Wake design simply to allow for a larger title overall, but I'm still not overly happy with it.

Again, still just messing around in Photoshop at this stage...
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Re: The Official Users Art & Design Thread

Decided to go with combination of the two, with an emphasis on the Wake colouring. The Max version would have probably been more visually striking, but too "Max Payne" for my tastes.

Anyway, I got carried away in Photoshop/Dreamweaver and actually made it for real this time (offline). Not 100% happy, but I'm done for now. I'm pleased with the layout/functionality though. Normally there would be more text in each project section, but I'm too tired to write anything meaningful.

Also made this Agent Smith render earlier in the week for a mod I'm working on, and finally got around to postworking it in photoshop -- virtually the same background style with the rain.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ok...just to resurrect a cool thread...
                      Here a LOTR ispired painting...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/jade03/lotr.jpg

Comment

Wow, that's fantastic. How long did it take you to make?

Comment

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
                          Wow, that's fantastic. How long did it take you to make?
                          Thanks! ....i made it in about one month...actually in certain days i worked only 10 mins on it...and certain hours...hehe...

Comment

Well, it's been a while since I posted something here. You can all probably see by now that I have a new avatar, but I thought I'd post it here since I... "made" it myself.

It's nothing big really. I just cut out a part of a large image and toned it down a little, giving it a "dark and evil?" look. Albert Wesker (Resident Evil-series) is one of my all time favorite characters from any games. Hïs evil genious ways are just profound and if there is one character I always look forward to seeing more of, and that gets me giggling like a little girl every he pops up on my screen, it's him.

So here it is:

Simple, clean, dark... Speaks for itself really.

Edit:
                            Well, just to be sure, I created a signature to go with my Wesker-avatar. I guess it's a little theme now.

Last edited by Kahr; 03-14-2008, 11:02 AM.

Comment

The first thing that came to mind was that your new avatar was JC Denton, but I also thought of Wesker afterward. Seriously, you could have said JC and no one would be the wiser
                              Mirrors are more fun than Television

Comment

Haha, yes, there are major simularities.

Comment

Working...
                                X