The Official Users Art & Design Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official Users Art & Design Thread

Thought I'd show a before and after on the design for BrightFalls.net -- it went through a lot of iterations before I finished up on the current design, which I'm really happy with
    Attached Files

Comment

Seriously, you could have said JC and no one would be the wiser
      What's with you and the ginger JC?
      ~+Impure Thoughts, Unethical Movements, A Shifting of the Soul into the Deeper Darker Secrets+~

Comment

Hey. Before I show you guys what I have made and (hopefully) receive some feedback, I should explain what this is for.

(Note that this project is in Norwegian, so bare with me).
        Early 2007, a friend of mine and me decided we wanted to have a go at creating a movie. From the start, it was meant to be a parody. Of games. Silent Hill was always the main theme, our main inspiration. We took Harry Mason from Silent Hill and turned him into Harry Johansen (Harry can be used in Norwegian as well, and Johansen is just a "Norwegian" last name we placed on him to avoid lawsuit and all that shit). Harry is a drunken man who lives only to drink his own brewed hard liqour. But then during the following year as we planned and finally started writing a manuscript, the movie changed a little. Still holding the original concept of Silent Hill as the main theme, we mixed other characters into the movie using a rather dodgy technique. We even made up a story for the entire thing that can explain why different games are mixed up in the same movie. Anyhoooo...
        Solide Slange (Solid Snake, MGS, only in Norwegian) and Flytende Slange (Liquid Snake, MGS, only in Norwegian) were thrown into the movie and became co-main characters along with Harry, and Ada Wang (Ada Wong, RE/RE) as a side-kick of sorts. And finally, Pyramidehodet (Pyramid Head, SH).
        These are the main characters of the game, basically. Pyramidehodet not as much as the others, and Ada more than Pyramidehodet, but lass than our three heroes: Harry, Solide & Flytende.

(Liquid Snake's cooperation with Solid Snake in this movie we were inspired to by a Metal Gear comic we found on Deviant Art, where Liquid is all sorts of stupid, and thus Flytende Slange became a cluts trying to learn from the best; Solide).

Other characters that are part of the movie (for better or worse, and some a role that plays even deeper than would seem) are Albert Wessel (Albert Wesker, RE), Marro (Mario, Super Mario Bros.), Luggi (Liugi, Super Mario Bros.), Bink (Link, Legend of Zelda), Luke (Duke Nukem, Duke Nukem), Lara Kraft (Lara Croft, Tomb Raider) and Henry Sønsteby (Henry Townshed).

This weekend, we're having a stand in our local town during some celebration days to try to promote ourselves, and perhaps hopefully receive some contributions from innocent bypassers to spend trying to make our movie even better. We have most of the actors, and most of the more expensive outfits (like Pyramid Head and Solid Snake's), but there are still things we need money for (most of all special effects, both live special effects and CGI).

So me and another friend we given the task of trying to create posters for us to hang up. Movie posters. Now these files are created in a huge ratio, but I have scaled them down and uploaded them to see what people might have to say about mine (at least). I have two different posters, wheras there are three versions of the last one. Here they are:

http://kahr.cruxious.org/stilledal/poster_v_01.jpg Version 1
        http://kahr.cruxious.org/stilledal/poster_v_02_01.jpg Version 2.1
        http://kahr.cruxious.org/stilledal/poster_v_02_02.jpg Version 2.2
        http://kahr.cruxious.org/stilledal/poster_v_02_03.jpg Version 2.3

Since we haven't got a whole lot of funding and we were short on actors that could work as much as we hoped for, I had to take one of the lead roles. I took the role of Harry Johansen (shouldn't be too hard to locate in the posters). I am in the middle in the first one, and to the far right in the rest. My friend (whom I co-wrote this movie with) had to play Pyramid Head. So that's him, with the helmet and the large knife (and yes, we actually got ourselves made that insane helmet and a real-sized great knife to go with it. IT KICKS ASS!).
        "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Well...still LOTR stuff...
          http://jademakoto.deviantart.com/art...d-Sam-94088084

Comment

Regarding the posters in my previous post, we did some improvement on the first of the posters, and decided to use it. This became the final product (which is now a full size movie poster hanging on my wall):

http://kahr.cruxious.org/stilledal/poster.jpg

I'm fairly content. I did better than I expected to do, though less than what I hoped for. But then I only had about a day to complete it before it had to be sent to print.
            We showed a trailer of our movie on Saturday when we had a stand in town. Even got ourselves a little money from people giving us to help create our movie. Was a fun weekend.

I will upload the trailer to my FTP at a later time and then I can link you all to if if you are interessed. It's in Norwegian though, so I might need some time to text it English.
            "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Originally posted by Jade View Post
              This is really good!!! how long have you been drawing?
              Yes, I am a girl and yes I am taking IT training. What's crazy about that?

Comment

Originally posted by angie1313 View Post
                This is really good!!! how long have you been drawing?
                Drawing has been my passion since i was a child...but i started painting about ten years ago....i'm an autodidacta...i improve very slowly....

Comment

Sigh, awesome stuff, I used to be able to draw, now my three year old can outdo me. (even at drawing a straight line).
                  XBL - Talryyn & TalryynGames.com

Comment

Hey this seemed like an interesting thread! Nice to see creativity in people. Here's a quick mock-up of what an Alan Wake scene (from the screenshots section) might look like in Unreal Engine 3

Alan Wake Unreal 3

Comment

Originally posted by JackMX View Post
                      Hey this seemed like an interesting thread! Nice to see creativity in people. Here's a quick mock-up of what an Alan Wake scene (from the screenshots section) might look like in Unreal Engine 3

Alan Wake Unreal 3
                      Heh, interesting. Did you create that yourself, Jack?
                      Remedy's currently known projects:
                      Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Originally posted by JackMX View Post

Alan Wake Unreal 3
                        Haha that's great Jack!

Comment

Wow, makes think AW looks good after all this time in just pre-alpha shots.

Not to downplay your work, it is very nice! I am still working on sprites...

Comment

Yeah I made it with UE3. It's not perfect by far though Just something for fun.

Comment

I have a weird question, I need a logo for my XNA projects. Anyone want to play around with making one?

I was going to play in blender or PS, but I really suck at those still. I want a TG somehow together. Maybe the T slightly inside the G, but with the top of the T outside the top of the G. Don't know...

Not sure what I can pay at this point, but I would put it in the game credits, and on my wonderful new shiny blogspot. LOL at the blogspot.

Morry - Is this post ok?

Comment

This isn't really my area of expertise, but when I read your post, the idea of merging the cross of the T with the G seemed like an obvious starting point (see attached). The only problem is that it reads more like GT, but perhaps one of our resident photoshop gurus could do something better with it. Then again, maybe 'Talryyn Games', or 'Talryyn Productions' would work better (And just do something with the T, like the Remedy logo).
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X