If you like Alan Wake, you'll like... *Recommendations Thread*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you like Alan Wake, you'll like... *Recommendations Thread*

Alan Wake's shaping up to be a unique, spooky, surreal thrill ride... so I figure that since there's only a few weeks left, people can share their knowledge of films, novels, comics, tv, etc that are similar in theme and genre to Alan Wake, from the frightening to the surreal.

So if you have any ideas as to what might entertain everyone else here, just post it and why you think fans of Alan Wake will dig it. I'll get the ball rolling:

This film, based on the short story by Stephen King, is actually pretty damned good. For people who think you can't make something truly spooky if it's T or PG-13, this is a good example of a film that can scare you without resorting to gore and blood. It's about a skeptical supernatural investigator/writer who decides to stay in a supposedly haunted hotel room and gets more than he bargained for. John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson star in it.

In the Mouth of Madness

Directed by John Carpenter and starring Sam Neill, this is one messed-up movie. It's been a while since I saw it, but it's about a literary agent who goes hunting for a famed writer who has gone missing. This movie is freaking messed up, so you're warned.

So what recommendations do you have?
    Time is the fire in which we burn

Re: If you like Alan Wake, you'll like... *Recommendations Thread*

1408 is a very good movie. Watched it like 3 times.
    If you like Alan Wake you shoud check out all of Stephen Kings books.
    I'm back.

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread. Looking forward to some good recommendations.

Comment

Twin Peaks, without a doubt.

Possible similarities with Twin Peaks is what hypes me most for Alan Wake, actually

1408 is a good movie, actually I think it's better than the written story.

I would also recommend Cell (Stephen King), I don't think it has something to do with Alan Wake, but it's a really great zombie book, and since I like it and I also like Alan Wake...

But Twin Peaks is the best recommendation I could give to anyone looking to something good that may resemble Alan Wake. If you want to see if you'll like Twin Peaks, watch Bright Falls and see if you like it.
        and there's always music in the air

Comment

I'm such a harsh critic on certain things, I can't really recommend films cause most of them suck. . . Horribly. >.<

So...If there were games, you definitely have to check out Condemned 1 and F.E.A.R., not for the faint of heart! These games were what invented mystery on Xbox 360 xDDD! And creepiness, don't forget that.

But Alan Wake, gosh that's gonna just simply redefine mystery.

Comment

Silent Hill 2

Any1 who hasnt played this must get a ps2 to play it

Awsome game

Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

You should check out:
              The Condemned series (but just to warn you, the second game gets it story messed up in the middle).
              Indigo Prophecy (pretty fun ride, sort of a psychological thriller, but the story get's messed up horribly midway. Still fun though.)
              Stephen King books (preferably The Mist, Bag of Bones, The Stand, and the Dark Tower series. But Pet Semetary is the best for horror if you ask me.).
              The Max Payne series including movie (obviously).
              And Twin Peaks of course.
              Do a looney-gooney dance, cross the kitchen floor, put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.

Comment

Yea I absolutely loved Twin Peaks, and the similar feel Bright Falls: The Series has. In The Mouth of Madness is great too. I'm definitely going to check out 1408 now.

It's not really a horror/scary film, but check out Memento. It's one of my all time favorites, about a guy who has no short term memory, so he's got a habit of writing himself notes to read later. The plot is a lot more detailed and your head really spins after watching it!
                They call me Si.

"If in doubt, keep your socks on."

Comment

Originally posted by shwhjw View Post
                  Yea I absolutely loved Twin Peaks, and the similar feel Bright Falls: The Series has. In The Mouth of Madness is great too. I'm definitely going to check out 1408 now.

It's not really a horror/scary film, but check out Memento. It's one of my all time favorites, about a guy who has no short term memory, so he's got a habit of writing himself notes to read later. The plot is a lot more detailed and your head really spins after watching it!
                  Memento is really really awesome! And the non-linearity of the movie surprises you completely, because you're only able to fully interpretate it in the end, unlike lots of other movies (some of them actually good) where you figure out how it'll end before the half of it.
                  and there's always music in the air

Comment

Great suggestions so far, guys. I love just about everything that's been suggested so far.

It's ok if you don't want to recommend a horror/spooky film, as long as the piece of fiction you recommend is something people who like Alan Wake will be interested in.

For television series, I'm gonna throw up Lost and Fringe, both from JJ Abrams production company, Bad Robot. While they aren't similar to Alan Wake in themes (well, Lost has some similar themes, light vs. dark, stuff like that), like Alan Wake they're both very dense and intricate shows with overarching mysteries. Lost leans a bit towards the supernatural while Fringe is much more science-fiction based. But both are great.

The Fugitive with Harrison Ford is probably one of the best 'wanted man' films out there. It defines the word 'thriller'.

The Mothman Prophecies with Richard Gere isn't bad. Some people didn't like it, but there are some very creepy bits... Indrid Cold, anyone?

House of Leaves
                    has been suggested before on these forums (by Sam Lake no less!). It's very experimental. Some people may like it, but for me personally, I didn't really get into that much.

Dark City is a good one. Very strange science fiction mystery film. An amnesiac wakes up framed for a murder he didn't commit. And then everything goes f'ing crazy.

Also, just about any Hitchcock film.

Comment

The original Twilight Zone and Outer Limits series....their more modernized versions, not so much.

If you want a couple complete mindf*** type of movies to check out, and you don't mind graphic violence, I highly recommend 'Martyrs' and 'Eden Lake'.

'Martyrs'
                      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1029234/

'Eden Lake'
                      http://www.imdb.com/title
                      /tt1020530/

Also, the Horrorfest: 8 Films to Die For series has been cranking our a couple great scareflicks since it started several years ago. They're all indie films, but some are very well done. Here's the upcoming 4th iteration, with a great trailer:

http://www.horrorfestonline.com/

My personal favorite, is from the first series, called 'The Abandoned'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czkOVNtoAVY
                      Last edited by THWIP71; 05-02-2010, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Not really Alan Wake related... but you know... worthwhile in anticipation to get you in the right mood for Alan Wake:

The Machinist.
                        From Hell.
                        Dark City.
                        SE7EN.
                        LA Confidential.
                        The Shining.
                        American Psycho.
                        Cypher.
                        The Box.
                        Total Recall.
                        Moon.
                        Mulholland Drive.
                        Memento. (as per above suggestions, i loved it too.)
                        The Thirteenth Floor.
                        Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Originally posted by Gbraga View Post
                          Memento is really really awesome! And the non-linearity of the movie surprises you completely, because you're only able to fully interpretate it in the end, unlike lots of other movies (some of them actually good) where you figure out how it'll end before the half of it.
                          I would say that even the (sorry if I hurt someones feelings) new Sherlock Holmes movie has that vibe to it. I was like "what the f*ck is going on here" until the last 15 minutes or so. That was the greatest detective film I've seen so far. Also the theme song on that one is amazing.
                          "I was already so far past the point-of-no-return I couldn't remember what it had looked like when I had passed it."

Comment

I watched the trailer to in the mouth of madness and it as like the same story of AW

If you dare spoiling AW for yourself watch the trailer for it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PFcOeM_Usk
                            Is The World Getting Smaller Or Am I Getting Bigger?

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian View Post
                              I watched the trailer to in the mouth of madness and it as like the same story of AW

If you dare spoiling AW for yourself watch the trailer for it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PFcOeM_Usk
                              There are similarities, but Mouth of Madness veers off into some seriously deranged stuff. It's like Alan Wake crossed with crack cocaine crossed with Lovecraft and the Book of Revelations.

Comment

Working...
                              X