If you like Alan Wake, you'll like... *Recommendations Thread*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you like Alan Wake, you'll like... *Recommendations Thread*

I can't find the complete pilot of Twin Peaks anywhere online.

Comment

Twin Peaks
      The Machinist
      Secret Window
      H.P Lovecraft - really anything, but my favourite story is The Shadow Over Innsmouth.
      +everything yogibbear suggested.

Comment

Twin Peaks is a great series and definitely worth watch. So are some of the movies based on Stephen King's books. I also suggest watching Hitchcocks movies.

Rear Window is a great movie, with a lot of suspense. The whole movie basically takes in one room where the ill protagonist with a broken leg is starting to observe the yard from the balcony. It all comes down to a suspensful ending. It was even nominated for 4 Oscars!

You should also watch movies from this link:
        http://www.imdb.com/event/ev0000219/
        http://www.imdb.com/chart/mystery

And then there is When Cicadas Cry or Higurashi, a japanese anime and a live-action movie. While I am not a huge fan of anime (still watching some of Miyazaki's work) I definitely suggest everyone to watch this series: After three episodes I was on edge of my seat with my friends and couldn't wait to see more. It has it's goofy moments, but the overall feeling is just creepy and full of thrills. Like Twin Peaks it takes a place in a small town with a dark past with all the paranormal stuff. But like Twin Peaks, the 2nd season was definitely the worse of the two. They ruin the mystery.

It's certainly worth a watch, even if you watch only the 1st episode!

These shows are definitely classics and a great watch for fans of psychological horror and mystery.
        Last edited by AnttiApina; 05-02-2010, 10:18 AM.
        KATAKOMB - Upcoming horror game by me

Comment

Originally posted by Gbraga View Post
          Twin Peaks, without a doubt.
          I purchased this last week the gold box set (seasons 1 and 2) hope to watch it all before the game is out

Remedy should get commission

Comment

1408 was really good like others have said.

How about the Ring, it's a physiological horror movie that also takes place in Washington (why is my state so creepy all of a sudden).

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, has a lot of similarities to Alan Wake at least on the surface: main character is a Writer, flashlight is primary gameplay mechanic, you even use a flare to hold off your enemies as well. The main character is missing relative in each that they looks for (wife in AW and daughter in SH). Both have a creepy doctor/physiologist.

I haven't read any Stephen King books yet, anyone have a recommendation of which one to start with?

Comment

I would recomend the movie The Fog by John Carpenter, don't watch the 2005 remake by Rupert Wainwright. It sucks.

I think The Fog is very similar to Alan Wake. It takes place in a small town in the Pacific Northwest, the town has dark secrets, and like the darkness in Alan Wake - the treath in The Fog is... well, fog.

Nevertheless, it's a great movie made by a great director.

The Fog trailer

Comment

Memento, definitely

Comment

Resident Evil 4 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Ashrak Aiemain View Post
                    I can't find the complete pilot of Twin Peaks anywhere online.
                    That's because one generally has to pay for such things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon253 View Post

I haven't read any Stephen King books yet, anyone have a recommendation of which one to start with?
                      The Shining, for scares or The Stand, for an epic adventure.
                      Shane: Editor-in-Chief - GameScares.com - (now offline)

Comment

Originally posted by Arsh View Post
                        Great suggestions so far, guys. I love just about everything that's been suggested so far.

It's ok if you don't want to recommend a horror/spooky film, as long as the piece of fiction you recommend is something people who like Alan Wake will be interested in.

For television series, I'm gonna throw up Lost and Fringe, both from JJ Abrams production company, Bad Robot. While they aren't similar to Alan Wake in themes (well, Lost has some similar themes, light vs. dark, stuff like that), like Alan Wake they're both very dense and intricate shows with overarching mysteries. Lost leans a bit towards the supernatural while Fringe is much more science-fiction based. But both are great.

The Fugitive with Harrison Ford is probably one of the best 'wanted man' films out there. It defines the word 'thriller'.

The Mothman Prophecies with Richard Gere isn't bad. Some people didn't like it, but there are some very creepy bits... Indrid Cold, anyone?

House of Leaves
                        has been suggested before on these forums (by Sam Lake no less!). It's very experimental. Some people may like it, but for me personally, I didn't really get into that much.

Dark City is a good one. Very strange science fiction mystery film. An amnesiac wakes up framed for a murder he didn't commit. And then everything goes f'ing crazy.

Also, just about any Hitchcock film.
                        The Fugitive is one of my top 3 fav moves of ALL TIME!!! I watched it like 5 times
                        I'm back.

Comment

Originally posted by lockload View Post
                          I purchased this last week the gold box set (seasons 1 and 2) hope to watch it all before the game is out

Remedy should get commission
                          I'm sure you'll love it as much as I did.

Every Alan Wake fan would love it!

Damn good coffee!
                          and there's always music in the air

Comment

Definitely 'Storm Of The Century', a mini series by Stephen King. I always thought this was way underrated.

And of course again: Twin Peaks. I'm a gigantic fan (oviously).
                            Open up the broken cup
                            Let goodly sin and sunshine in

Comment

[SIZE="6"]Twin Peaks (self-explanatory)[/SIZE]
                              Stephen King - Stark The Dark Half (and a lot of other SK books)
                              Richard Laymon - In The Dark, After Midnight (for scaring the crap out of you)
                              Dennis Lehane - Shutter Island (Book and Movie) (perfect Psycho-Thriller)
                              Silent Hill 1-3 (the 4th was crap, but didn't played Shatterd Memories)
                              Last edited by Dennis; 05-02-2010, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Secret Window.

Comment

Working...
                                X