• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you like Alan Wake, you'll like... *Recommendations Thread*

Originally posted by djshauny1 View Post
    Silent Hill 2

Any1 who hasnt played this must get a ps2 to play it

Awsome game

Total agree...I would add Silent Hill 1 and 3 - skip the rest!
    WTBF...?

Comment

If you are Twin Peaks fan you love Carnivale. Altgough it got cancelled at the worst possible moment. I was so pissed of when i watched last episode and realized it was the end. still i think it was worth to watch. Its so amazing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319969/

Comment

Originally posted by Matti1 View Post
        If you are Twin Peaks fan you love Carnivale. Altgough it got cancelled at the worst possible moment. I was so pissed of when i watched last episode and realized it was the end. still i think it was worth to watch. Its so amazing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319969/
        They actually could've wrapped it up rather nicely. The worst cliffhangers came in the last 10 minuts of the finale.

But I agree, it's one of my alltime favourite shows. It's a damn shame they cancelled it.
        Open up the broken cup
        Let goodly sin and sunshine in

Comment

Like some people have said, Memento is a good movie. Its a nice dose of a psychological thriller from a character that suffers from amnesia. I had to watch it like 2 or 3 times to understand the full story.

Memento

----------------

I would also recommend, Fight Club. While it doesn't seem that similar to Alan Wake, its story is very well written and mostly has all the elements of what a thriller should be.

Fight Club

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."
          -Tyler Durden

Comment

Carnivale was indeed awesome and it is a shame it was cancelled. A good recommendation.

I would also add The X Files - particularly the early seasons - because it was very well done and had a great overarching mythology.

I have to put in a recommendation for Fringe too, just because it's basically The X Files on crack. And if you think Barry is awesome, you clearly don't know Walter.

Somebody mentioned the book House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. VERY good book if you can get into it and his sister Poe (singer) released an album that fits with the book (Haunted).

Anything by H.P. Lovecraft is good because all his work pretty much screwed with your mind.

I would also throw out a recommendation for Event Horizon. It's a sci-fi space horror movie where things aren't always how they seem starring Sam Neill.

Finally, I'm not sure if this will fit with other people loving Alan Wake, but a quirky, off-the-wall show that everybody I've ever shown it to has loved is Dead Like Me. And when I say everybody I've ever shown it to has loved it, I mean everybody, including a large group of people who had never even heard of it before, watched the first couple of episodes, and promptly went to find the rest of the series. Sadly cancelled after only 2 seasons, but still very good.
            If asking for I.D. is racist every cop who has ever pulled me over owes me an apology.

Comment

I would recommend watching Secret Window, a psychological thriller movie starring Johnny Depp and based on a novel by Stephen King.
              :)

Comment

Never heard about Carnivàle, I'll take a look, thanks for the recommendation!

And recently Happy Town started, it's a good series that takes some elements from Twin Peaks, it's only 1 episode so far and it already has some nice turn of events and unexpected scenes, kinda wierd and cool. Hope it turns to be a great series.
                and there's always music in the air

Comment

Originally posted by Gbraga View Post
                  And recently Happy Town started, it's a good series that takes some elements from Twin Peaks, it's only 1 episode so far and it already has some nice turn of events and unexpected scenes, kinda wierd and cool. Hope it turns to be a great series.
                  Thanks for the tipp. I'll be watching the pilot episode tonight.
                  Open up the broken cup

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. I just watched the pilot on ABC.com. It was pretty awesome. The ending got crazy.

Comment

I'm glad my recommendations helped someone XD
                      and there's always music in the air

Comment

If you like Alan Wake, you should probably play Alan Wake first.

Comment

Originally posted by Roska View Post
                          If you like Alan Wake, you should probably play Alan Wake first.
                          You are a thief of joy.
                          Time is the fire in which we burn

Comment

These movies came into my mind:

The Prestige
                            Memento
                            Mullholand Drive
                            Donny Darko
                            The Machinist

Comment

I'm glad my recommendations helped someone XD
                              And how. Great first episode. The ending was creepy as hell.
                              Open up the broken cup

Comment

Originally posted by Arsh View Post
                                There are similarities, but Mouth of Madness veers off into some seriously deranged stuff. It's like Alan Wake crossed with crack cocaine crossed with Lovecraft and the Book of Revelations.
                                Such a awesome movie and so many people haven't seen it. I must have watched it about 25 times in the last 5 years. I always show the movie off to people because they haven't seen it!
                                "I wish you were crazy...but your not crazy!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X