If you like Alan Wake, you'll like... *Recommendations Thread*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you like Alan Wake, you'll like... *Recommendations Thread*

Nice thread, but should not be in Alan Wake General -section but rather in General discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by MikaRMD View Post
      Nice thread, but should not be in Alan Wake General -section but rather in General discussion.
      I think you should leave that sort of conjecture to the moderators...
      Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

In the mood for horror?
        Pet Semetary.
        In the mood for an epic Lord of the Rings adventure?
        The Stand.
        In the mood for a crime novel?
        Blaze.
        And in the mood for just some good psychological horror?
        The Shining.
        Do a looney-gooney dance, cross the kitchen floor, put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.

Comment

Originally posted by MikaRMD View Post
          Well, that may or may not be, but in the meantime, got any interesting recommendations?

Originally posted by Taken634 View Post
          In the mood for horror?
          Pet Semetary.
          In the mood for an epic Lord of the Rings adventure?
          The Stand.
          In the mood for a crime novel?
          Blaze.
          And in the mood for just some good psychological horror?
          The Shining.
          Someone's a fan of the King.
          Time is the fire in which we burn

Comment

Silent Hill Homecoming. Several different endings (5 to be exact), great atmosphere, puzzles, collectibles, etc. The major complaint people have is that the game is too easy so if you are good at these types of games start off on hard difficulty.

Comment

Durham County

Canadian's Twin Peak.
              Alan... Wake up

Comment

if you like alan wake, you might like either Dead Space or Resident Evil 5 ..

Comment

The Dark Half, by Stephen King, definately. One of the closest stories along the lines of Alan Wake I've ever read, and very un-put-downable.

Bag of Bones was good too, but not as great as the Dark Half.

Comment

Darkest fear - story about one man who is looking for his daughter in some village - there is some hospital, and the main gameplay is about - to fight the darkness with the light - you can use different flashlights, lamps, mirrors, windows etc for light - very similar to AW

Go here for more info: http://www.gamespot.com/mobile/puzzl...&mode=previews

Comment

Originally posted by Vlado View Post
                      Darkest fear - story about one man who is looking for his daughter in some village - there is some hospital, and the main gameplay is about - to fight the darkness with the light - you can use different flashlights, lamps, mirrors, windows etc for light - very similar to AW

Go here for more info: http://www.gamespot.com/mobile/puzzl...&mode=previews

LOL....the developer is even from Finland. Shame on you, Remedy....stealing ideas from your neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
                        I think you should leave that sort of conjecture to the moderators...
                        Oh, fine. Give me more work... Hmph.

As for my recommendations, Donnie Darko has been mentioned, and Stephen King/Lost/Twin Peaks are too obvious by now... But if you're looking to get creeped out, I do have one suggestion.

Once upon a time, a creature by the name of 'Slender Man' was created, which some of you may or may not have heard of. It's a tall creature capable of even peeking through your second story window, who stalks the forests, often carrying away children and leaving no body behind. The monster looks human, though its limbs stretch to unknown heights, and its many arms seem to disappear and reappear from time to time. It doesn't seem to have a face, no eyes or nose or mouth to speak of, and to gaze into will paralyse any onlooker into a trance. It is adorned with a long black suit and tie, perhaps to conceal any more alienish appearance.

Don't stop reading this. By now he's near. His long silent strides are fast, don't bother running. Don't look out the window. He's there already. Just keep looking here. He's right outside, looking at you, just, do not look back. If you stare at his non existent face you'll fall into the paralysed state. That's it, just keep looking here. Don't even try and peak back, you'll just get taken by him. If you feel him breathing down your neck stay calm. I can't tell, he might be inside right now, or outside looking at you. Just stay here, and, please, don't look, please don't look behind you, please.
                        A while ago, a video appeared on Youtube called 'Marble Hornets', which tells the story of a few boys' encounters with the Slender Man, and the horrible effects. Their crazed state- the constant paranoia, the strong fear the the dark- as well as the massive fearful suspense of searching every pixel for the Slender Man to appear, reminds me a fair bit of Alan Wake. It's rather 'Blair Witch' in presentation, but good nonetheless. My particular favourite so far is Entry #7, because once you spot the Slender Man... Well, you'll be searching every video from then on.

Here is the introduction for anyone interested. Some videos are better than others, but overall they're enjoyable. If you like to scare the pants off yourself, I'd recommend watching it late at night with headphones, but it might not scare the sceptics or anyone who bothers to point out flaws rather than simply be entertained.
                        <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

Oh Marble Hornets. That was pretty awesome. Slender Man is very creepy. Though I'm a couple of months behind, I'll catch up this week. Probably one the most well-told and creepy "web-stories" I've seen.

And I see we got relegated to the Off-topic forum.
                          Time is the fire in which we burn

Comment

Kitt, that quote was evil. I was reading it in the dark, and got creeped out a bit. I didn't wanna look behind me at my window, but a loud noise came from it. A bird flew into my window. Right after I read that. I can't remember a bird ever flying into a window of mine. Creepy, scary timing.

Comment

Well, I'm going to be a horror and crime writer, and he is my inspiration.
                              Do a looney-gooney dance, cross the kitchen floor, put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.

Comment

Absolutely LOVE 1408. One of my favourite movies.

There was a creepy game for the PS2 that I'm reminded of with AW. I forget what it was called but you could 'sight jack' people to see through their eyes to see where enemies were. Might have been a Capcom release. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Comment

Working...
                                X