Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you like Alan Wake, you'll like... *Recommendations Thread*

Originally posted by Sneeze View Post
    Absolutely LOVE 1408. One of my favourite movies.

There was a creepy game for the PS2 that I'm reminded of with AW. I forget what it was called but you could 'sight jack' people to see through their eyes to see where enemies were. Might have been a Capcom release. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
    Siren?
    Time is the fire in which we burn

Comment

I think that nearly every mystery film has got some similarities with Alan Wake because it's an mystery game. In the end that's the same, only another medium.
      I like these kind of movies very much so I guess these ones could fit but some of them were already mentioned:
      The Mist
      The Green Mile
      The Shining
      Secret Window
      The Sixth Sense (that's my favorite film)
      The Mothman Prophecies
      Unbreakable
      The Machinist
      Lost
      I guess that there are hundreds of films that we could mention

Comment

+1 for Dark City and House of Leaves (it's my favorite book.) There's a part of House of Leaves where a character is reading a book titled 'House of Leaves' while trapped in the dark, and is burning the pages and reading them at the same time. Finding manuscript pages made me think of that.

Alan Wake reminds me of a first season episode of the X-Files called 'Darkness Falls.' It's about people being attacked by insects in the woods. Everyone is running around in the woods a night getting killed and Mulder's all like 'stay in the light!'
        I would also suggest the movie eXistenZ. It's a big mindf**k where people's thoughts are shaping the story, and they can't distinguish real life from a videogame, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120907/

Comment

Go watch Jacob's Ladder. Don't google it online, don't look at the trailers. Just go rent it and watch it. It stars Tim Robbins and is directed by Adrian Lyne if that makes a difference. Now stop reading and go watch it!

Comment

Originally posted by b_spag View Post
            +1 for Dark City and House of Leaves (it's my favorite book.) There's a part of House of Leaves where a character is reading a book titled 'House of Leaves' while trapped in the dark, and is burning the pages and reading them at the same time. Finding manuscript pages made me think of that.

Alan Wake reminds me of a first season episode of the X-Files called 'Darkness Falls.' It's about people being attacked by insects in the woods. Everyone is running around in the woods a night getting killed and Mulder's all like 'stay in the light!'
            I would also suggest the movie eXistenZ. It's a big mindf**k where people's thoughts are shaping the story, and they can't distinguish real life from a videogame, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120907/
            That's my FAVOURITE episode of xfiles. They're those green flesh eating fly things... and it ends where mulder and scully are sitting in a shack under a crappy lightbulb with one of those metal chain switches on it and it starts to flicker and they've got one of those old nanna rugs on them... and then the sun rises and they get the f)I*& out of town.
            Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Why don't more people recommend H.P. Lovecraft? His short stories are creepy and will leave you speakless.

If your new to his work I would recommend this book, is has some of his greatest stories in chronological order: http://www.amazon.com/Cthulhu-Storie...r_pr_orig_subj can't wait to read my copy.

If you don't know how good his stuff is then watch this it is based off his stories and the dreams he must have had to create them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC0Gqt8VRKk
              Is The World Getting Smaller Or Am I Getting Bigger?

Comment

Originally posted by maniakmedic View Post
                [Somebody mentioned the book House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. VERY good book if you can get into it and his sister Poe (singer) released an album that fits with the book (Haunted).
                I believe thats the song playing at the end of Episode 2, when Rose calls Barry.
                You are a Taken, hu? How do you like taking bullets?!

Comment

For those that are getting round to watching Twin Peaks, dont forget Fire Walk With Me (and David Lynch's entire back catalogue)...

Also agree with everyone who wants and needs more Carnivale, lets go the whole way and suggest an episode of Carnivale that takes place in a 1935 era Bright Falls.
                  tHe OwLS aRe NOt WhAT tHey SeEm

Comment

Having finished reading one of the Collection's of H.P. Lovecraft books i can say that yeah he's really good, but the language is a bit dated (well durr...) and if you read it cover to cover the stories get quite repetitive because he often revists an old idea and forms a new story around that. Though admittedly Call of Cthulhu, He, and Shadow over Innsmouth were awesome. Just saying some of the earlier stuff got really annoying as it was kinda like "hurry the f(*&) up and get to the point" even though it's a short story... though yeah i've got the "Call of Cthulhu and other weird stories" and i'd rate it 8.5/10

Comment

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
                      Having finished reading one of the Collection's of H.P. Lovecraft books i can say that yeah he's really good, but the language is a bit dated (well durr...) and if you read it cover to cover the stories get quite repetitive because he often revists an old idea and forms a new story around that. Though admittedly Call of Cthulhu, He, and Shadow over Innsmouth were awesome. Just saying some of the earlier stuff got really annoying as it was kinda like "hurry the f(*&) up and get to the point" even though it's a short story... though yeah i've got the "Call of Cthulhu and other weird stories" and i'd rate it 8.5/10
                      Did you get it becuse of the recommendation I made about H.P. Lovecraft? Since I am the first one to recommend H.P. Lovecraft and that collection here.

Originally posted by Sebastian View Post
                      Why don't more people recommend H.P. Lovecraft? His short stories are creepy and will leave you speakless.

If your new to his work I would recommend this book, is has some of his greatest stories in chronological order: http://www.amazon.com/Cthulhu-Storie...r_pr_orig_subj can't wait to read my copy.
                      Is The World Getting Smaller Or Am I Getting Bigger?

Comment

I don't much read Lovecraft cause it's hard for me to get past the bit where he's a racist prick.
                        Time is the fire in which we burn

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian View Post
                          Did you get it becuse of the recommendation I made about H.P. Lovecraft? Since I am the first one to recommend H.P. Lovecraft and that collection here.
                          No. I've read lots of his stuff before. Actually it was for my bookclub (i made veryone read lovecraft...) so I had to get my hands on a collection rather than just all the random short stories i had lying around the place. Read it 2 months ago now really... but bookclub was only last week, so we were talking about it.
                          Last edited by yogibbear; 06-06-2010, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arsh View Post
                            I don't much read Lovecraft cause it's hard for me to get past the bit where he's a racist prick.
                            Is he really a racist? Or is that just a theme captured in the book because at the time when he wrote most of the stories (we're talking 1890-1925) an easy way to scare people from england is to talk about scary norwegians and congo men? Btw one of his stories basically says that white man descended from inter-species bestiality between a black man and a white ape. So technically he would be calling white man a horror that needs to be killed and removed from the face of this planet.

Comment

I read this story online called Ted the Cave Diver. It was pretty creepy (to me at least) I'll post the link: http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/page1.html

enjoy :]

Comment

Originally posted by Arsh View Post
                                House of Leaves[/I] has been suggested before on these forums (by Sam Lake no less!). It's very experimental. Some people may like it, but for me personally, I didn't really get into that much.
                                It's funny that you and Sam mentioned this book because it's my all time fave. I got the same uneasy feeling and thrills from Alan Wake that I got from House of Leaves. Bonus points that the song Haunted by Poe (the sister of the author of House of Leaves) is about the book House of Leaves. It's a really great book that really messes with your head!
                                Fear is the companion to those who do great things, but never their master.

Comment

Working...
                                X