Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you like Alan Wake, you'll like... *Recommendations Thread*

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
    Is he really a racist? Or is that just a theme captured in the book because at the time when he wrote most of the stories (we're talking 1890-1925) an easy way to scare people from england is to talk about scary norwegians and congo men? Btw one of his stories basically says that white man descended from inter-species bestiality between a black man and a white ape. So technically he would be calling white man a horror that needs to be killed and removed from the face of this planet.
    No, he really was a gigantic racist, and to an extent that even some of his closest contemporaries thought worth noting. There's some debate as to whether his racism was heavily influenced by classism and other factors, but his comments on ethnicity shouldn't be taken ironically or anything of the like.

Though at the end of the day, if people can't handle reading about racism they really shouldn't be handling any historical literature in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by nubguy View Post
      I read this story online called Ted the Cave Diver. It was pretty creepy (to me at least) I'll post the link: http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/page1.html

enjoy :]
      Auughh... That ending... Oh, man. I know exactly those feelings he mentions when he's leaving the cave in panic. Oh, wow...
      <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed321 View Post
        Though at the end of the day, if people can't handle reading about racism they really shouldn't be handling any historical literature in the first place.
        Is this directed at me?
        Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
          Is this directed at me?
          No, those were two seperate arguments.

Comment

Good.
            Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

It amazes (plus disappoints) me that I've read/seen 95% of the recommended movies, books, and series in this thread.

Comment

I liked the Mothman Prophecies, the creepiness stuck with me for quite a while. Memento gave me a migraine. What video games for xbox are there like AW?

Comment

Can some one tell me where i can get the Twin Peaks box set?
                  I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Comment

The Thirteenth Floor
                    The Lost Room - A mini-series about a detective (Joe Miller) who comes into possesion of a motel key, that can open any door, which also leads him to a mysterious motel room. . .
                    I would recommend it, I enjoyed it immensely.

Originally posted by Mindyflyz View Post
                    I liked the Mothman Prophecies, the creepiness stuck with me for quite a while. Memento gave me a migraine. What video games for xbox are there like AW?
                    On the original Xbox, perhaps: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth? I haven't played this game myself. So I can't really say if it's like AW, maybe more along the lines of Silent Hill.
                    Xbox 360: Maybe Deadly Premonition (Haven't played this game either!)
                    Last edited by Dark Avenger; 11-19-2010, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Avenger View Post
                      The Lost Room - A mini-series about a detective (Joe Miller) who comes into possesion of a motel key, that can open any door, which also leads him to a mysterious motel room. . .
                      I would recommend it, I enjoyed it immensely
                      I LOVED this show!
                      I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Comment

If you like Alan Wake you will love this Movie:
                        In the Mouth of madness
                        Its a brilliant Masterpiece from John Carpenter, a creepy Horrormovie about a Writer whos Storys get real.
                        Sounds familiar? Give it a try, its one of my Favourite Movies.
                        "Reality is overrated."

Comment

I watched In the Mouth of Madness the other day & it was an amazing movie. I really enjoyed it. :3 Thanks for the recommendation! 8D

Comment

TV and Movie: The Twilight Zone, Twin Peaks, Tales of the Unexpected, and as Barry said Hitchcocks 'The Birds' + Alfred Hitchcock presents
                            Videgames: Silent Hill 2 and 4, The Suffering pt 1 + 2.
                            Last edited by TigerTez; 11-30-2011, 02:08 AM. Reason: add SH 4

Comment

Try this title Killer toon. Reminds me of Alan Wake, similar in a way.

Synopsis
                              A series of murders resembling Ji-yoon’s horror webcomic drawings occur and detective Ki-chul unravels the terrifying truth of the comics himself.

http://www.hancinema.net/korean_movie_Killer_Toon.php

Comment

I thought Silent Hill Downpour was excellent. I'd also add the Fatal Frame series to the list of creepy games, although that is more about ghosts.
                                Avoid fruit and nuts; after all, you are what you eat.
                                -Garfield the Cat

Comment

Working...
                                X