If you like Alan Wake, you'll like... *Recommendations Thread*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you like Alan Wake, you'll like... *Recommendations Thread*

http://skary.com/ Katy Towell has fantastic taste in creepiness, and often mixes it with humor and cuteness. Her animation shorts are awesome! She's a published author, too!
    Avoid fruit and nuts; after all, you are what you eat.
    -Garfield the Cat

Comment

Sorry for the bump, but you need to see True Detective. A murder mystery in a small town occurs, but this one is different...

I think people will find many parallels with this and Alan Wake. Watch the first episode until the ending and you know what I mean.

That is all.
      KATAKOMB - Upcoming horror game by me

Comment

Speaking of murder mysteries, I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but I just started watching Season 1 of The Killing. Excellent whodunit so far.
        Avoid fruit and nuts; after all, you are what you eat.
        -Garfield the Cat

Comment

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter comes out later this year. This trailer reminded me of AW a little bit. The nature setting with the trees, birds and railroads. Looks like it could be good.
          ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM, Intel i7-3770K 4.2GHz
          16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 2088MHz
          HyperX 240GB SSD, Win 7 64-bit Pro

Comment

Originally posted by AnttiApina View Post
            Sorry for the bump, but you need to see True Detective. A murder mystery in a small town occurs, but this one is different...

I think people will find many parallels with this and Alan Wake. Watch the first episode until the ending and you know what I mean.

That is all.
            I agree. Even if you don't find it reminiscent of AW, it's still a really, really fine show.
            <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

I recommed Deadly Premonition, Silent Hill Downpour, Silent Hill Shattered Memories and Dead Space, as they are also slow burning psychological dingy games.

Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil Remake are also cool games, with great graphics and dark settings, although it is a survival horror game.

Lone Survivor is a good indie game reminiscent of Silent Hill and that psychological horror vibe it has.

As is Home. Another indie game, where you piece the horror story as you progress.

Among Sleep seems like another good option, an horror game where you play a toddler facing his demons, although I never played it.

Gone Home appears to another great option I haven't played.

Try PT in PS4 if you can and haven't, and Alien's Isolation in the new generation consoles.

About games I recommend:

- The Woman in Black (slow burning horror movie)
              - Event Horizon (slow burning horror movie in space)
              - Gattaca (slow burning sci-fi mixed with sociology and philosophy)
              - X-Files
              - In the Mouth of Madness (slow burning horror movie that is very scary)
              - Shaun of the Dead (english comedy/horror movie)

Comment

Originally posted by Arsh View Post
                Alan Wake's shaping up to be a unique, spooky, surreal thrill ride... so I figure that since there's only a few weeks left, people can share their knowledge of films, novels, comics, tv, etc that are similar in theme and genre to Alan Wake, from the frightening to the surreal.

So if you have any ideas as to what might entertain everyone else here, just post it and why you think fans of Alan Wake will dig it. I'll get the ball rolling: look what you made me do lyrics

1408 happy wheels

This film, based on the short story by Stephen King, is actually pretty damned good. For people who think you can't make something truly spooky if it's T or PG-13, this is a good example of a film that can scare you without resorting to gore and blood. It's about a skeptical supernatural investigator/writer who decides to stay in a supposedly haunted hotel room and gets more than he bargained for. John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson star in it.

In the Mouth of Madness instagram video downloader

Directed by John Carpenter and starring Sam Neill, this is one messed-up movie. It's been a while since I saw it, but it's about a literary agent who goes hunting for a famed writer who has gone missing. This movie is freaking messed up, so you're warned.

So what recommendations do you have?
                Not really Alan Wake related... but you know... worthwhile in anticipation to get you in the right mood for Alan Wake:

The Machinist.
                From Hell.
                Dark City.
                SE7EN.
                LA Confidential.
                The Shining.
                American Psycho.
                Cypher.
                The Box.
                Total Recall.
                Moon.
                Mulholland Drive.