Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Thread for Writers -- What's your preferred writing tool?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Thread for Writers -- What's your preferred writing tool?

I know in this day and age of computers thinking about writing with anything except Microsoft Word or some other word processor seems crazy. However for many writers it seems sensible. I was just curious, since this is the forum for Alan Wake and he is a writer, what your favorite writing "tool" would be if you were going to write a short story and why?

CHOICES:

* Quill pen
    * Ballpoint/Standard pen
    * Pencil
    * Manual Typewriter
    * Electric Typewriter
    * Portable Word Processor (such as the AlphaSmart Neo)
    * PC/Mac
    * Other

Personally I've been struggling with this concept. I like the convenience of a computer but not the feel when writing. I have fair handwriting but grip too tightly for any sort of pen to be effective. I started writing on an Electric but you're stuck to the wall. I'm torn between a Manual Typewriter and a Portable Word Processor. The PWP is cool in that you can send your text right to the computer, but it's another technical gadget. The Manual Typewriter is all right there and the clack of the keys, the smell of the ink...I might sound odd but I think other writers probably can relate somewhat.

MY VOTE: Manual Typewriter

Re: A Thread for Writers -- What's your preferred writing tool?

I'm not a writer, but I know someone who is, and she made something truly awesome a few years ago.

Let me introduce you to the The Kowal Portable Typewriter and Adding Machine™:

http://www.maryrobinettekowal.com/jo...dding-machine/

More recently, she was talking about the wonders of the usb typewriter, a "groundbreaking innovation in the field of obsolescence."

http://www.usbtypewriter.com/
    Last edited by Maddieman; 07-15-2010, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Alan Wake isn't the only writer in this game. Mikko Rahtauhti(Fix his surname, if you please. It's way difficult for me. ) and Sam Lake are the other two writers in this story.

I'm also writing in Microsoft Word a horror story and a fantasy adventure story, which I'll write down later. That hot warmness is preventing me to concentrate well in writing them.

Can you guys provide me a good program for writing novels? It'd be useful for me not only for grammar, but also for syntax mistakes. I want to enrich as much as possible with less words the stories I'm writing down. Microsoft Word is a bit useful in some terms.
      The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

Everything I have written so far has been using Pages or Word on my Mac which is fine, especially for speed and spelling, but not very inspiring.

I recently got a nice thick journal which I am going to find a fountain pen for and try writing that way.

Down the line I would like to try a typewriter but it seems very expensive.

Comment

I write horror stories and going to be buying myself a nice Waterman fountain pen and moleskine notebook (It isn't mole skin, it's just the name).
          I'm trying to get a collection of my work published.
          Last edited by Sebastian; 07-15-2010, 03:59 PM.
          Is The World Getting Smaller Or Am I Getting Bigger?

Comment

I write on my PC. My handwriting is just simply horrible, and I don't have a typewriter (although I would just be wasting sheet after sheet considering I often tend to re-write the same sentence over and over, and often I go back a few pages to change stuff after it's written...).

No, writing on my PC is the easiest choice.
            "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

When developing plot or jotting ideas- you know, all the rough work and whatnot- I have a little red leather-bound journal I write notes in. But when it comes to the actual writing, I use PC, since it's easiest to edit and faster to type.
              <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

Originally posted by Kahr View Post
                I often tend to re-write the same sentence over and over, and often I go back a few pages to change stuff after it's written..
                Yeah, at the moment my writing is very iterative, taking several drafts before it is in any decent shape. That is why I want to try writing with a nice pen in a nice journal, hopefully I will get better at fully realising my intentions before writing anything.

Comment

When I write down my stories, I start first with what I can imagine as a fantasy boy, then I read the story(might need to re-read the story) to make rich lexicon on them to make them less syntax and to be readable for everyone, lastly I read them again the whole story to find out if I did some grammar or syntax mistakes on the way, that I might missed out and start fixing them.

To write your stories with a rich lexicon, grants you the opportunity to make everyone see you as a smart and knowledgeable writer.

I learned the above, while I was first time a reviewer for many games. Some people helped me out and I found my flaws in the writing skills.
                  The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

I use my laptop mostly, but sometimes I use a notebook. Unfortunately I keep most of my notes in my mind. lol
                    Fear is the companion to those who do great things, but never their master.

Comment

@Maddieman: That KOWAL is really cool looking! I've seen that USB typewriter before, seems like an interesting idea for sure.

@TannosukeGR: Those guys are awesome for sure! As for a good writing software suggestion, one I found was "Visual Typewriter" by Nolad. I haven't personally used it but it looks really cool! The typewriter looks sort of like Alan Wake's too haha.

@MetzoPaino: I'd love to journal with a fountain pen, that would be fun. A good one can be pricey sometimes. I found some cool quill pens at Barnes and Noble, those are fun too! As for typewriters being expensive, check eBay or your local paper, sometimes you can get a really good deal on a nice one...that's what I'm doing now, but I want to get the one Alan had in the game.

@Kahr: I can relate a little to horrible handwriting, it's ok but not something that people could read easily if it were mass produced, plus I get writer's cramp really fast since I think I hold my pen too tightly. When it comes to typing, I started on an old electric typewriter, that taught me how to mentally organize my story before writing. This transferred into school when writing papers as I a lot of times write my outline after the paper and it's in perfect "A" work order right off!

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Red WON View Post
                        @Kahr: I can relate a little to horrible handwriting, it's ok but not something that people could read easily if it were mass produced, plus I get writer's cramp really fast since I think I hold my pen too tightly. When it comes to typing, I started on an old electric typewriter, that taught me how to mentally organize my story before writing. This transferred into school when writing papers as I a lot of times write my outline after the paper and it's in perfect "A" work order right off!
                        I know what you mean about writer's cramp. I too hold my pen too tightly.

It's not so much that I have to reconstruct sentences and stuff like that. During my work I often suddenly remember to add something, or remove something I later figured out was better used in another way. Stuff like that. It's like the little details that happens to change from time to time. I can't just sit down and write a whole friggin' novel in one go. I have to go back and make corrections, improve on certain parts, make changes and in general hopefully all this correction will make it even better than it already was. My writing is fine, usually. I always know which words to use and my grammar isn't bad at all. It's the context of the story that sometimes changes. (When I say sometimes... )
                        "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

I want to get the one Alan had in the game.
                          That was a real brand? I thought it was just "generic looking typewriter"?

It also looked DAMN heavy, if Alice had kept it in her bag she could have just thrown it at the darkness and killed it.

Comment

@TannosukeGR: Those guys are awesome for sure! As for a good writing software suggestion, one I found was "Visual Typewriter" by Nolad. I haven't personally used it but it looks really cool! The typewriter looks sort of like Alan Wake's too haha.
                            Can you provide a link, so that I can download it, please ?

Comment

Visual Typewriter.

Comment

Working...
                              X