What do you do as a living?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do as a living?

I've done a search and couldn't find anything relating to this so apologies if my search wasn't as in depth as it should be lol.

I've seen threads like this on many forums and it's always cool to guage peoples professions..

So.. What do you do for a living?. Do you enjoy it?. Give a brief description of what your job entitles.

I work in Central London as a bus controller

My job is pretty cool in certain aspects but a nightmare on others. Basically my company operates 30 different bus routes in London and they are all contracted out by London Buses (TFL). I sit in an office and have a GPS system that tracks every single bus my company operates and i can see it on a live map. I get time stamps off of each vehicle to make sure they are on time

London Buses (TFL) give us an operating time table and extremely strict parameters that we must operate to. That's where i come in as a service controller. I regulate the service by means of curtailing (cutting short) certain buses to eradicate extensive gaps and long waiting times.. sounds easier than it is believe me. The traffic in Central London is a nightmare and we must not allow the route's performance to drop as per the conditions of the contract. Yeah it's stressful and the drivers really get on my nerves when they don't operate to the standard that's expected..

Anyway if you want to know more about London Buses then drop me a message or post here

I'll get some pics up in the week of my depot / work enviroment etc - Sure aint elegant but it's a job

Oh yeah if your gonna post please be honest and don't state your a pilot or something if your sponging off the state. If your a student then post that and what you study

Mark
    Last edited by PotentialTERROR; 09-08-2010, 05:11 AM.

Re: What do you do as a living?

A 4th year senior high-school student at Pieksämän Lukio in Finland. I am going to apply to art schools and to Philosophy departments after this
    We are what we choose to be, not what we want to be

Comment

Both DJ/Music producer as a free work and Graphic design student.

I also practice kendo.
      The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

Originally posted by PotentialTERROR View Post
        Give a brief description of what your job entitles.
        This thread has a lot of potential to be pretty fascinating if people actually follow these instructions. I found your description of your job very interesting, and I'm sure a lot of people's jobs have plenty of aspects that aren't immediately obvious!
        Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

I work as a 911 dispatcher for police, fire and medical emergencies. At times it is a very boring job, on the other hand things can get hairy pretty quick. Most of the time we only have one dispatcher on duty compared to other big departments who will have on about 15-20 dispatchers working at the same time. Multi-tasking is a must for this job especially when we only have one dispatcher working. Handling the radio, 911 phones, landline phones and the burglar alarm system all going off at the same time can be really stressful at first. I've been doing this job for about 3 and a half years so I'm pretty well adjusted when things get crazy busy. Other than answering emergency phone calls my job entitles me to work with protective orders, warrants, stolen property, missing persons, court documents, police reports and other various department tasks.

Comment

Sounds like a stressful, yet interesting job, JTX. Keep up the good work!
            "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

-_-.....i....i....i...
              Troll on the internet. Im hireable...
              I'm back.

Comment

I work the night shift exclusively in a hotel and it´s pretty much exactly what you might expect. I do a little of everything. I check people in, correct the lists from the day before, prepare breakfast, etc...
                It´s not really a demanding job, but it keeps me busy on most nights and it´s well paid considering.

Worst part about it though is the obligation to be nice to people who clearly deserve a punch in the face.
                Open up the broken cup
                Let goodly sin and sunshine in

Comment

Right now I'm finishing my studies at the University so I don't have a regular job.

I don't like working but at least it brings bread to the table.
                  Alan Wake will be missed, Welcome Quantum Break
                  Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by Danzaiver View Post
                    Right now I'm finishing my studies at the University so I don't have a regular job.

I don't like working but at least it brings bread to the table.
                    It also brings games at your shelves. XD
                    The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

Originally posted by TannosukeGR View Post
                      It also brings games at your shelves. XD
                      That is a fact!!

BTW Tanno you have a very cool job, being a DJ/Music Producer should be really great!
                      Alan Wake will be missed, Welcome Quantum Break
                      Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by Danzaiver View Post
                        That is a fact!!

BTW Tanno you have a very cool job, being a DJ/Music Producer should be really great!
                        That's indeed a very cool job as DJ/Music Producer, but nowadays thanks to some stupid Greek politicians and the economical crisis, there's no DJ job to make of... What's left is the music production.

Everybody in Greece is thinking to leave Greece. I'm thinking to find a decent/cool job either in Australia(I have relatives there) or America(I'm hardly thinking of that, because the crisis hit America too) or Finland or Netherlands or Holland.

Now I'll have to back-up my PC, because some virus ****ed up the Cubase SX 3 and so I can't continue the remixes I promised of to some friends(a Progressive House remix and a instrumental deep house remix)... I'm willing to change windows to 7 to check on them as genuine and to try out if they work with the pirating music programs(The music programs are way expensive(up to 600 euro), so don't think we're thinking to buy them).
                        Last edited by TannosukeGR; 09-08-2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
                          This thread has a lot of potential to be pretty fascinating if people actually follow these instructions. I found your description of your job very interesting, and I'm sure a lot of people's jobs have plenty of aspects that aren't immediately obvious!
                          Well it's definately not as glamorous as your job lol

Comment

Originally posted by TannosukeGR View Post
                            That's indeed a very cool job as DJ/Music Producer, but nowadays thanks to some stupid Greek politicians and the economical crisis, there's no DJ job to make of... What's left is the music production.

Everybody in Greece is thinking to leave Greece. I'm thinking to find a decent/cool job either in Australia(I have relatives there) or America(I'm hardly thinking of that, because the crisis hit America too) or Finland or Netherlands or Holland.
                            If your a DJ get yourself over to Ibiza or some young pumped up Island for some work

I can DJ as well but as work is so thinned out in the DJ industry i chose to sell my decks many moons ago.. Still have some wicked vinyls though that i'll hang on to

Comment

Originally posted by PotentialTERROR View Post
                              If your a DJ get yourself over to Ibiza or some young pumped up Island for some work

I can DJ as well but as work is so thinned out in the DJ industry i chose to sell my decks many moons ago.. Still have some wicked vinyls though that i'll hang on to
                              Easy to say. I don't know if I can catch a job there, as everyone does. There's also a mess to Spain, as I heard.

Comment

Working...
                              X