X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning Quran ?!

Hi

I believe most of you have heard about the pastor Terry Jones who had threatened to burn the Muslim holy book,Quran, on the anniversary of the Sept. 11

I'd like to talk with you, my friends, about this.

This is sad. I am a Muslim who lives in Iran and I don't or won't ever hate anyone of the opposite religion. Why should you hate our religion for some others mistakes? should this whole nation judge you on all your priest who molest those young children from the past and present! Take a look in the mirror and realize before you start judging others on their beliefs. study yours, cause not the whole tree is bad because of a couple of bad apples.

I am so sorry that such a mislead person can be the leader of a religion and he is called a pastor.

Unfortunately most people of the world knows Muslims with Osama Bin-Laden. I'd like to tell you that in our country he's a filthy infidel. Even if he is literally a Muslim, this doesn't mean that all Muslims are like him.

And we know that if a church leader wants to burn the last and the most holy book of the universe, this surely doesn't mean that all Christians are like him.

Islam is the religion of kindness, forgiveness and generosity and Quran is our holy book that is not distorted after over 14 centuries. It leads us toward the best behavior and deeds. Teaches us to be altruist and help others, as we're helping Pakistan and Palestine. Wants us to stay peace as well as not to be afraid of enemies.

Sorry friends. I for one, couldn't keep quiet about this.
    Have a good time and wish you the bests.
    Origami models on my YouTube: GeneTheWinter

Re: Burning Quran ?!

Well, first of all, you do realize that you're speaking on a forum that's running on a server that's located in Finland and run by a Finnish company, and that we have an extremely international community of users here, right? Terry Jones is an opportunistic douchebag who gets a lot of attention, but he's hardly representing a majority view, in America or elsewhere.

Also, let me just put my forum police hat on for a second and say that this is a topic that has great potential for getting locked. People who want to talk about this here are free to do so, but don't be jerks when you do so. Seriously, anybody who wants to dip his toe into these waters better think real hard about how you talk to your fellow forum users before posting anything in this topic. Be polite.
    Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Islam is a double-edged sword. Same goes for any other religion out there.
      Because of these small fundamentalistic groups like Hamas and Hisbollah, the word of Quran, particulary Jihad is used wrong context.

Jihad, "the holy war" gives these groups an opportunity, a loophole to use terror against non-muslim people.
      But there is more to Jihad, that meets the eye: Jihad is all about fighting, but not in literal sense: it could mean something like "fighting for better society and health" or "developing myself as a better human and fighting the sinister side of man".

Hamas, Hezbollah and many other fundamentalistic groups, use this to build their society for everyone and make the world a better place.
      I think that Islam's book Quran holds many great teachings that are mainly seen in muslim world. People are humble and help each other.
      It's nothing like the capitalistic world.
      The strikes of 9/11 were also a strike against capitalism, by a few religious muslim nutjobs.

We must remember that we cannot judge over 1 billion people by their religion: most of the muslims condemn these freedom fighter or so called: "terrorists".

Same goes for Mr.Jones. He is in the minority. Saying that a book made the attacks of 9/11 possible is completely absurd in my honest opinion.
      It's just a point of view.

In the end, burning Qurans is just a waste of paper. It's still going to affect a lot of people, who get upset about things like these.
      Unfortunately the rest of the world, just doesn't care.

And people continue to live their lives
      in this gray mass
      known as Earth.

Wow! I am a great poet! Who would've thought!
      KATAKOMB - Upcoming horror game by me

Comment

When i saw the news about that chap who wanted to burn the Quran i thought oops he's asking for trouble.

I'm not religious, i never have been and i never will be. I dont support it and i don't condone it, i just have no feeling on religion at all, suprising as my grand parents are catholic and they used to bang on all the time about going to church and pray etc.

My problem is religion has to be in your face all the time. I cant go to the shops and shop in peace without seeing/hearing people yell extracts from the bible/Quran. I can't relax at home as at least once a week a jahova(sp) witness will knock on my door spilling dribble to me and when i tell them i'm not interested it's as if i'm in the wrong. If religion was toned down i think it would cause less discomfort and issues. But it isn't... It hasn't to be the center of attention all the time and if your not a believer your going to hell.. Haha at least i'll be warm huh

I mean i think it's fine if you want to base your entire life on a book and believe everything thats written but jeepers leave me alone. I have a theory and i'll stick with Darwin.. I think he was onto something.............. "Evolution"

I listen to the guys i work with who are from various religious back grounds, I work with 2 Muslims, 4 Chrstians, 1 Catholic. And they all argue between them selves on which religion is better, on what book is better and what book depicts the events better - I mean how do they know, were they there? i sure as hell wasn't so as far as i can tell it's nothing more than a book.. A story if you will

Until i see proven facts that God even exists i will continue to base my view on evolution. I've seen more believeable evidence regarding evolution than any other theory so maybe that's why i dont believe in god, maybe i'm not as open minded as i should be but everyone is entitled to their own theory

My view is not here to offend but i'd like to see how people feel about religion.. Are you a believer ? or do you not believe ?

What were you reasons for believing / not believing
        Last edited by PotentialTERROR; 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Yeah, this is treading on thin ice a bit, but well said Gene, good for you.

I wrote more, but mleh, I really don't want to get into this in a public forum. All I'll say is: look up the history of propaganda.

Spoiler:
          Last edited by Maddieman; 09-14-2010, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
            Yeah, this is treading on thin ice a bit, but well said Gene, good for you.

I wrote more, but mleh, really don't want to get into this in a public forum. All I'll say is: look up the history of propaganda.

Spoiler:
            I see what Mikki and you are saying Maddie but why is religion treated as such a taboo subject. It shouldn't be and that is a major frustrating aspect as you can't say what you think for the threat of offending someone.. It's a crazy scenario

Povery, Aids, Cancer, Murder - All horrid things yet they are not a taboo subject to discuss.... Talking about religion however is

Comment

yeah, when i heard about it the first thing that came to mind was "man, al queada will get a field day in terms of recruiting propaganda showing 'what americans act like' " and then conversely the cycle continues right back round with these same book burners wondering why "them muslims" are angry with them.

It's an odd game where the only winning move is to not play the game.

-also on a personal note i have no religious beliefs at all, but the idea of burning books is just about the most insulting, despicable, act you can do against something and remain nonviolent.
              I guess that stems from being an educated man y'know? it's not the loss of books, they can always be replaced its that statement of it. saying "this has no right to exist at all and should be purged form history" and that just makes me feel sad for the book burners if they feel they are actually doing a good thing. what a horrible world they must live in.

-also, its a damn shame only the most angry, xenophobic violent extremes of religions get on the world stage but all the people of every religion doing good work for people in need is completely ignored.

Comment

So err... i'll predicate my post by saying that i am 99.1376% agnostic. Slightly leaning towards teapot athiesm.

Anywho, yes this pastor dude is a douche. Does that mean all catholics are douchbags? (or whatever religion he is supporting... i presume catholicism... but it could be christianity or whatever...) Most certainly not. Who cares about what religion someone supports and therefore judges them based on this information? No one. Only the media and douchebags.

Religion = personal views and whatever. Sure you can discuss it. It's all cool. It's actually a very important and personal thing to be cherished and held onto and i can totally understand why people that feel their religion is being attacked can feel aggravated. I feel aggravated just when people assume i am thinking something that i am not, let alone when they label it and stick me in a box with everyone else. I actually own a copy of the Qu'ran that a taxi driver gave to me and i've read it and it's pretty cool i guess, but doesn't break down my agnosticism (lol!) one bit. Just kind of gives me an insight into a different mindset or way of thinking. I actually haven't read much, if any, of the bible despite living in Australia which i guess is fundamentally a white christian bible bashing beginnings but 90% of the population probably don't actively practice religion and due to our reliance on immigration since forever (asides from the Aborigines who walked here back when the water levels were lower and the land formations were closer together between us and Asia) our country is actually very multicultural. Though we're still very much legally based around the British legal system and all that and we're not a republic so the queen still comes over every now and again for a laugh. Yes, we are all convicts at heart.

Anyway... i guess i am just blabbering on generally. But i don't think religion is something that should be imposed. But i also think people that disagree with religions should be allowed to voice their opinions to a certain degree (clearly things like all the BS about Obama being muslim etc. etc. are crossing this boundary as if he says he isn't then he isn't and it's just the racist/fundamentalist side of the conservatives in the US trying to push their agenda rather than have any honest discussion about the fact that if the US really had a muslim president then something special would have happened as the media would have to change their fear mongering BS.) <-- Sprry this point might be taken the wrong way, i think it's ridiculous that people even care what religion their president is and it's ridiculous to impose a label of someone's religion on them to then claim that due to that they think a certain way when obviously this is not the case.

Hmmm.... probably some controversial stuff about somewhere. So sorry if i'm offending anyone, but I'm very much an outspoken person and i hope that you can agree to disagree with my point of view if you choose to do so.

Yes i realise when i said that australia is a "white bible bashing" beginnings i was being a bit rash, but i'm allowed to as i am Australian. Pretty sure any of us would agree that it's ridiculous that the politicians have to pretend like they're religious right around election time just to get the "religious" vote.
                Last edited by yogibbear; 09-14-2010, 06:03 PM.
                Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
                  Yes, we are all convicts at heart.
                  Yogi i had to lol at that!. It's not my opinion but i have heard that expression before.

Comment

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
                    Yes, we are all convicts at heart.
                    A-HA! proof!

imma go tell the queen about this.

Comment

Originally posted by hellsing View Post
                      A-HA! proof!

imma go tell the queen about this.
                      I'm about 2 miles from Buckingham Palace at this moment, I'll pass on the message

Comment

I'm not concerned about offending anyone, but these are deep waters - you can't discuss the original topic properly without getting into politics, and I really don't have the time, energy, or inclination to wade into that right now. It's too depressing.

As far as religion is concerned, I'm agnostic -- I don't believe in organised religion, but I respect people who do (providing they're not using it to justify discrimination, atrocities, war, etc). In fact, the various teachings fascinate me because they tell you a lot about the world, and the different human cultures and societies - past and present.

I'm content with modern science, evolution, the scientific method (again this stuff fascinates me, especially cosmology); but for me, there's still a lot of questions left unanswered ([SIZE="1"]like ****ing magnets[/SIZE]), which probably won't be resolved in my lifetime.
                        Last edited by Maddieman; 09-14-2010, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PotentialTERROR View Post
                          I see what Mikki and you are saying Maddie but why is religion treated as such a taboo subject.
                          If this was a taboo subject, I would have closed the topic. It's not. But since this is the internet, and since almost everybody here is essentially anonymous, and since I am intimately familiar with John Gabriel's Greater Internet F*ckwad Theory and its practical applications, I just want to make it clear that people who want to talk about this had better not get aggressively stupid while they're at it. In a topic like this, we're constantly one post away from someone going ad hominem on us and two posts away from the first terrorist accusation flying around, and if I wanted to see that, I'd be having this conversation in YouTube comments on something.

Seriously, talk away. Just, you know, don't be jerks about it, and I do wish I didn't have to say that, but what am I, new to the internet?
                          Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

i'd say its heavily opinionated thats all, trouble is on the internet people forget you can have separate opinions, instead we are trained by modern media to "disagree" like there is a clear right or wrong when it comes to opinions which just isn't true, certainly not in terms of theology.
                            But yeah, first instinct on internet forums is often "i have said something now i must close my ears, so to speak, and defend it to the last. which is a shame it truly is.

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
                              I am intimately familiar with John Gabriel's Greater Internet F*ckwad Theory and its practical applications
                              Mikki do you know where I can get a poster-sized version of that picture?

Comment

Working...
                              X