X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Burning Quran ?!

Originally posted by PotentialTERROR View Post
    Agreed. But it's more likely so than an almighty being. That's never been proved either
    The point is that at some point, nothing can be proven anymore. This is where religion and science meet. Where they could quite possibly go hand in hand. There are so many religious whom take their book very literally. Although I'm an atheist myself, I can still understand their choice to be religious. This is where my thought of the religious is split. Those who take the book(s) too literal are just misguided. If you take it instead as a sort of guide, and understand that you are supposed to get the gist of it, not take it literal, then religion in itself makes more sense. It becomes more logical, if you will. Especially where religion and science met. No one can either prove or disprove that not a God (or some sort of divine being) created the Big Bang, which in turn created the universe as we know it. It doesn't have to be so that God created the world(s) and everything in them. He could instead just function as the catalyst for everything. The trigger that pulled off the entire Big Bang.

So religion isn't really all so far fetched. I mean, at some point religion actually meets science. It just goes a really long way back.

Originally posted by PotentialTERROR View Post
    No not really as i base my life on normal day to day happenings not on a 2 thousand year old book
    Again, you speak as if you know your way of life is the correct choice. You cannot say that for certain. No one can. It may be the correct choice for you, but that does not so make it the correct choice in general.

A lot of day to day ethics come from this two thousand year old book. And you can move about your day to day life with religious people without even knowing they are religious. It's not like they go around with badges on their jackets (or outer wear) that says "Religious people", nor do they stop by every single atheist person (due to their built in "Atheist Radar") to preach their religion. Which means that their way of life seems to be working to. Hmm. Does that not trump your own reasoning? I mean, if you as a non-believer can do the exact same things as a believer, then we're back to square one.

You are very quick to call others naive. I think you should try to see a bigger picture before you make such statements again.

There are extremists on all sides, and this is what we normally see and hear about, because they are the ones that makes the big news. But that does not make it so that the extremists are beacons of light and hope for their represented cause. It does not make it so that their ways are the ways of their cause. No, not at all. Even the regular people from said cause find the extremists to be a bad thing. It puts them in a bad light, and they know it.
    "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Originally posted by Kahr View Post
      The point is that at some point, nothing can be proven anymore. This is where religion and science meet. Where they could quite possibly go hand in hand. There are so many religious whom take their book very literally. Although I'm an atheist myself, I can still understand their choice to be religious. This is where my thought of the religious is split. Those who take the book(s) too literal are just misguided. If you take it instead as a sort of guide, and understand that you are supposed to get the gist of it, not take it literal, then religion in itself makes more sense. It becomes more logical, if you will. Especially where religion and science met. No one can either prove or disprove that not a God (or some sort of divine being) created the Big Bang, which in turn created the universe as we know it. It doesn't have to be so that God created the world(s) and everything in them. He could instead just function as the catalyst for everything. The trigger that pulled off the entire Big Bang.

So religion isn't really all so far fetched. I mean, at some point religion actually meets science. It just goes a really long way back.

Again, you speak as if you know your way of life is the correct choice. You cannot say that for certain. No one can. It may be the correct choice for you, but that does not so make it the correct choice in general.

A lot of day to day ethics come from this two thousand year old book. And you can move about your day to day life with religious people without even knowing they are religious. It's not like they go around with badges on their jackets (or outer wear) that says "Religious people", nor do they stop by every single atheist person (due to their built in "Atheist Radar") to preach their religion. Which means that their way of life seems to be working to. Hmm. Does that not trump your own reasoning? I mean, if you as a non-believer can do the exact same things as a believer, then we're back to square one.

You are very quick to call others naive. I think you should try to see a bigger picture before you make such statements again.

There are extremists on all sides, and this is what we normally see and hear about, because they are the ones that makes the big news. But that does not make it so that the extremists are beacons of light and hope for their represented cause. It does not make it so that their ways are the ways of their cause. No, not at all. Even the regular people from said cause find the extremists to be a bad thing. It puts them in a bad light, and they know it.
      Point taken. I'm having a really bad day today not that it's talkable as no-one would understand, i didn't think my post through properly and spoke my mind so i apologise

The only reson i blurted out naive is that believers don't associate with the big bang, Muslims don't even believe in dinosaurs. That's naive to me in a way

It's ignorancy imbedded in each and every individual. I let the worst come out in me earlier, like i say i have a massive personal issue im trying to deal with and i apologise if i offended anyone

Comment

I'm not taking any offense, but I am trying to prevent others from being offended.

I understand where you are coming from. It's not like I haven't thought those thoughts myself before. But as you said, your initial thought may not be what you are trying to get out, and should often be considered and "re-written" a few times over before posts. Usually that can be the difference between being viewed as an idiot and a genius. It's not so much what you are trying to present, as how you present it. With the correct presentation, you can make the most boring subject in the world an interesting one. And that, my friend, is how you get followers.

Sorry to hear about your bad day. Again, I can understand where you are coming from. I hope your days turn better soon.
        "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Originally posted by Kahr View Post
          Sorry to hear about your bad day. Again, I can understand where you are coming from. I hope your days turn better soon.
          Thank's Kahr means alot.

I highly doubt it'll get any better soon... Trying to put a brave face on though

Gonna rock it out on Reach tonight and hopefully take my mind off things..

Comment

Praise the lord!!! When i left work today and rushed to the bus stop i just jumped on the bus before it left. Jesus must have loved me.....

I see the light! I see the light! It is beautiful! Oh help me lordette almighty beast of immortal cantankerous blashpemy!

What don't you believe in our religion friend? Do you not bow to the dishevelled goat of wanderers passions? Do you not frollick in the plains of misguided travellers? Am i to hear nothing from thee? Disgust. Disgust i say old chap!
            Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
              Praise the lord!!! When i left work today and rushed to the bus stop i just jumped on the bus before it left. Jesus must have loved me.....

I see the light! I see the light! It is beautiful! Oh help me lordette almighty beast of immortal cantankerous blashpemy!

What don't you believe in our religion friend? Do you not bow to the dishevelled goat of wanderers passions? Do you not frollick in the plains of misguided travellers? Am i to hear nothing from thee? Disgust. Disgust i say old chap!
              If i was the driver i would have given you the finger and driven off lol

Glad i'm a controller and not a driver now

Comment

I believe that religion has been made just for fighting nothing else..people are not following the actual teachings of their holly books and fighting pointless......

Comment

Originally posted by tobby View Post
                  I believe that religion has been made just for fighting nothing else..people are not following the actual teachings of their holly books and fighting pointless......
                  Bold statement. And very off.

Many actually do follow the teachings of their books. Perhaps a little too much sometimes. Again, you take notice of the extremists. Stop assuming that everything they do is the norm of their religion.

Comment

I think you said pretty much exactly what I wanted to Kahr, but far more eloquently than I ever could have.

Comment

Originally posted by Gray Fox View Post
                      I think you said pretty much exactly what I wanted to Kahr, but far more eloquently than I ever could have.
                      Why, thank you. I do my best!

Comment

• Burning Quran

rnI do not agree with the burning of the Quran as I have many Muslim friends and some that are converting to Christianity.
                        rn
                        rnOn the same token I also disagree with the Quran and its teaching. If the church were having a day set aside where a person who was no longer a Muslim and became a Christian wanted to come and pitch their copy of the Quran into the fire then I wouldnt be against that.
                        rn
                        rnThis guy was

Comment

People really do need to stop taking religious texts so literally. I myself am religious(kinda what you might call a mut of the religious world, a mixture of everything). Most of what's in things like the Bible can quite easily been seen as metaphors or ancient people's attempts to describe things they can't quite explain. Alot of it is also just even older stories that became distorted over time, for example Adam and Eve. For a better explanation i shall refer you to David Rohl, an archeologist. Just read his wiki page and check out his official site www.davidrohl.com
                          I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Comment

I think it's high time this thread died out. Since it apparently hasn't happened on its own, I'm giving it a little push in that direction. It's been a good run guys, and you behaved well. So know this: we may not be so hasty to lock future threads with sensitive subjects.

Comment

Working...
                            X