What The Hell Grinds Your Gears!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What The Hell Grinds Your Gears!?!

Serious, What The Hell Pisses You Off The Most...It Can Be Annoying like ranging from A Pen Clicking Noise To A 12 Y/O XBL Gamer Calling You A Noob In Halo...
    PSN ID: sHELLsHOCK619

Re: What The Hell Grinds Your Gears!?!

Not much, but there is one thing:

Album reviews - especially the star ratings from All Music Guide, because they seemed to have gained a universal acceptance as 'definitive' reviews. It just annoys me that someone can say "This is a 2 star album, OK but not great.", and that's it set in stone, and republished on Wikipedia, Spotify, etc.

Why do we have these? Why on earth would I want or need someone telling me what I should think about a record? I want to expand my music taste, not constrict it.

First of all, we're not talking about videogames or movies. Music is comparatively cheap nowadays, and there are plenty of free and legal ways to listen to an album before you purchase it. Just listen to it and make up your own mind!

Secondly, music is subjective - everyone has preferences. Musical taste isn't universal or set in stone, and just because one reviewer doesn't like or doesn't get what the artist is trying to do, does not necessarily mean it's a bad record. You can argue for the general consensus, which is fine; but I also think it's fair to say that the majority have got it wrong in the past more than once. Plenty of artists change direction, or go through an 'experimental' phase, and it usually takes a long time for it to be understood, let alone appreciated by the majority.

Third - people's taste in music changes and develops over time. I'm sure everyone knows at least one song they initially hated, but over time have come to love. Likewise, I'm sure you've all got records you loved when you were younger, but now rarely play (or in my case - hide from sight). It's fluid - certain albums grow on people, others burn out quickly.

Fourth - the rating system is inconsistent and arbitrary. With something so subjective as music, how can you possibly grade an album out of 5? Sure, at the top end of the scale you've got your historically important recordings, and at the bottom you've got ...Jedward. But it's grey area in between that I take issue with.

I think these reviewers would like the world to believe that they have some kind of special insider knowledge or professional expertise. Most of them don't - they're not even musicians. They're just journalists and pundits selling their opinion to fill up content.

And that's what grinds my gears.
    Last edited by Maddieman; 09-22-2010, 03:55 AM.

Comment

What grinds my gears? Small children.

So much of what they do is an annoyance to me; from the regular whining, the sheer ignorance of youth, and the massive time and life commitments that they are.

I want to be an archaeologist and historian. I want to travel the world, excavating in exciting places and experiencing ancient and modern cultures. I fear being slowed down by children who would be unappreciative of such a life. If I do ever have children, it'll be later in my life, when I've had my fill of work in the field and move to a desk or lab job, archiving antiquities.

But really, I hate their crying, their whining... especially in public places. Always in public places...

That, and Bobby Kotick.
      <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

Originally posted by Kitt View Post
        What grinds my gears? Small children.

So much of what they do is an annoyance to me; from the regular whining, the sheer ignorance of youth, and the massive time and life commitments that they are.

I want to be an archaeologist and historian. I want to travel the world, excavating in exciting places and experiencing ancient and modern cultures. I fear being slowed down by children who would be unappreciative of such a life. If I do ever have children, it'll be later in my life, when I've had my fill of work in the field and move to a desk or lab job, archiving antiquities.

But really, I hate their crying, their whining... especially in public places. Always in public places...

That, and Bobby Kotick.
        Bobby Kotick +2, Also What Really Grinds My Gears are those idiots on the news media hating on video games cause their bloody this and that.....Shitt i remember when mw2 was releasing they had a special on the airport scene, they had two people one for banning bloody games and other for freedom of rights...blahlblah and u could see how 1 sided it was i wanted to punch the guy that wasnt even supposed to be talking on his desk....didnt even give the guy that was favoring iw did nothing wrong a chance to speak for 5 secs... I hate Morons who are like that which is mostly the news media.

Another Is People(FilmMakers etc...) Raping My Childhood, seriously? a pacman movie or a pokemon movie..... you know what im talking about like how filmmakers think they can make a good game based movie and then sucked really hard, even though I thought prince of persia(Was probably the only decent gaming movie I seen)..just people doing stuff that was done greatly in the past shouldnt be done again for example movie remakes or what not....damm it i want to poke somebody, well looks like im about to go on red dead redemption online(ps3) and kill every1 in freeroam..(How do u like me now)
        Last edited by JoYnEr; 09-22-2010, 06:15 AM.
        PSN ID: sHELLsHOCK619

Comment

1. People that talk about stuff as if climate change/global warming is a fact and that we caused it and we know why. If they put disclaimers around these discussions such as "it is likely that" or something then i might be inclined to not punch them in the face.

2. too many TLAs

3. People that start replying to questions by interrupting you before you have finished the question and then proceed to completely avoid/miss the point/question you were making/asking and blabber on about tonnes of completely irrelevant bits of information that are givens, obvious or pretty much stuff that everyone in the room knows but no one jumps in to tell that to stop talking shit but they're all secretly groaning on the inside, waiting for the dude/dudette to stop so they can castrate him.

4. People on the bus that cough/splutter like they have some necrotic tissue stuck down their oesophagus

5. People that say really long phrases that are basically catchphrases to the individual as they are answering questions so that if you work with them long enough you can impersonate them. i.e. they will say a lot of shit without saying anything worth listening to.

6. Overly disorganised people. i.e. takes them a week to do something that should/could be done in 10 minutes.
          Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Well, as I have said quite a few times on the forums, I detest generalizing and assuming. How is it so hard to form an opinion, answer or a conversation purely based on fair aspects and experiences on the matter at hand?

I admit, there are and will always be, prejudices and generalizing. You can not live without having them. BUT, you do not have to form your actions based on them.

I can not imagine just how many people and living things die just because of pure fact of assuming something.

Find out first, then start making accusations or courtesies. It is acceptable to make opinions, you have to, but only after you have justification for them.

Secondly I dislike selfishness.
            As an irrelevant thing, selfishness IS needed. It is, after all, the basis of survival(only after taking care of yourself can you begin taking care of others). And I think everybody needs moments of dedication towards him -or herself.

But try to see other people, try to understand.

Thirdly, unfair judgement or just in general, ignorance. Treating people without taking into account their current circumstances is just wrong. You need to look pass the moment to start seeing sense and logic in people.

Actually, all the subjects are quite linked together.

In life, we come across friction between other people. In these situations, being fair, is always difficult. I know how hard it is sometimes to be polite. Tolerance is a thing which you can build up a lifetime and never learn to feel.

Take a hit, get criticism, but make a stand and believe in your own ideas. After a hard day, understanding and patience can be running thin. It usually boils down to your own personality and skills to keep treating people fairly.

Not knowing what the person is thinking, feeling or has gone through usually leads to me being mild on judgment and a little less open on giving my opinion on the matters that the person is dealing with.

It might be wimpy, but it is the best I can think of. It is a bit different matter when I have more personal experiences on the matter, person or both. But still, I usually approach situation with care.
            We are what we choose to be, not what we want to be

Comment

People. I dont like meeting new people or being with them. Thats why i mostly use the internet. Its extreme for me.
              And Bobby Kotick
              I'm back.

Comment

Originally posted by SUDDENJONATAN View Post
                People. I dont like meeting new people or being with them. Thats why i mostly use the internet. Its extreme for me.
                And Bobby Kotick
                Really? I also hate people actually

But meeting new people is cool because sometimes you can meet a very good person and start a friendship. Or meet a really hot girl and ... well you know

What I really hate? I guess I hate ignorance in all its ways. An ignorant person won't realize that what they do affects others and that they should stop doing it if they don't want trouble. For example riding the bus with a guy talking on the phone really loud, I want to have a nice quiet ride to my house but no! There is always a stupid person talking really loud next to me talking horribly stupid things.

The other day I took a taxi and the driver was talking about witchcraft and telling me why I should never forgive a person because if I do forgive someone then I will be accepting his witchery in my house. I wanted to punch him on the face but yeah I forgave him and well that didn't go bad for him, right?

Also there was one time when I was talking with this girl about pregnancy and she was telling me that she would love to get pregnant now that she is young. But I told her that she didn't had any job and that we were really young, but she said that she would love to get pregnant by a very rich man so that she would just raise the baby in her big house with her fancy things and the father of the baby just give her the money for the baby. Then I told her that what if she gets a divorce because the relationship doesn't go well and she replied that she would get tons of money from the divorce and she would still be happy with the money. So in conclusion she wants to be a whore, yeah because she just slept with the guy, get pregnant and get free cash. Way to go self esteem!

I mean WTF is wrong with people?
                Alan Wake will be missed, Welcome Quantum Break
                Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense

Comment

Literally, for me the dogs. Those mutts are barking for no reason and make my ears go blowing. The politicians with their stupid laws. Some complex people, who do think they're "someone important" and are mocking every person here and there. Stupid women, who are quite the same as those complex dudes, especially the stupid ones. The slowpokes, because they're slowing down like a turtle the progress of any job(i.e. there's a woman, who works in the post office and takes about 15 minutes... Can you believe it??? 15 MINUTES to complete each transaction or package approval !!! Let alone the crowd waiting on the tail !). Lastly, the disorganized and the unfair, who don't do their services PROPERLY, guys.

Those things make me go nuts(and grind my gears of course).

I'm of those who do their jobs as fast as possible. Literally, I do the procedure "Leaving the house" ---> "Goes to a job and finish this job as fast as possible to get rid of this burden" ---> "Then I go back to my house and rest".
                  The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

I've found for me whatever bothers you all falls in the mood you're feeling at a particular time.

If there would be one thing, it would be the lack of gratitude in some people for the things they have. I understand its human nature to view the grass on the other side, but you find some people to be overly-persistant in trying to get there, and ignoring where they are now, in the present.

Pet Peeves wise, very little - i always tend to rationalise things that bother me.

Comment

I don't like ice cream.

Comment

people losing there shit over numbers given to games as grades like "WTF GERSTMAN! 7.5/10?!?" or some such bollocks.

Games are subjective and reviews should only be a guidline to give an impression of the experience from someone whos played through the whole thing and can be judged as an honest, unbiased opinion. the numbering idea is stupid and incites almost as much fanboy flaming as the games magazines that started the whole "your with us or them, and they are pussys" 'console wurz' marketing exercise in brand loyalty most people seem to have fallen for hookline and sinker.
                        I dont dislike the numbering system. its an okay average to catalogue reviews with to group widely recognized classics together through systems like metacritic, however going batshit snooker loopy that a ame you love got a .5 or something is asinine and bugs me more than people saying 'addicting' instead of addictive, and that bugs me a lot too.

Comment

No internet when you need it always makes me rage. I take most other things pretty easy.

Comment

Clicks on Call of Duty montage.

It looks pretty cool.

Let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor...
                            Last edited by Taken634; 02-05-2011, 07:14 PM.
                            Do a looney-gooney dance, cross the kitchen floor, put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.

Comment

- animal cruelty: whoever is guilty of this, with or without intent, should be hanged in public. Period.
                              - anything or anyone that holds the human race back intellectually.
                              - DLC (yes, there are exceptions), launch DLC, paid on-disc ULC labeled as DLC, online passes, ... In short, nickle & diming and everyone who advocates it. No game needs it, almost every game has it.
                              - Brussels. It's a shithole and I'm ashamed to live here.
                              "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
                              (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

Comment

Working...
                              X