Any other writers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any other writers?

I've kind of working on a novel/story right now. It's science fiction about a crew of a stranded spaceship that encounters a mysterious family on an uncharted world. Now let's hope I can finish this one.

Comment

I'm a writer. It is my passion and my life to be honest. I am not doing it professionally yet but I write frequently and hopefully someday I will be doing it for a living.

I have tons of short stories and even a few series written or being written. I have a novel I wrote that I am editing right now but I will not show it for obvious reasons. I can not have the novel out there if I want to get it published.

Cheers! ^_^

P.S.- I have a myspace devoted to a short story series I have been working on for a while but other than that I do not have much floating out there openly anymore unless your just going to look that hard for it. It is nice to meet other writers!
      Last edited by Blood Raven; 03-01-2011, 12:13 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something.

Comment

Independent writer here. I don't know if I'll ever leave my independent status. I kind of like remaining as such. Currently, two books available and the third is due out in 2012. I focus mainly on short stories and novellas at this point. With my third work I'm going for the .99 cent Ereader market and see how that works out.
        My website www.jamiehorwath.com

Comment

I'm also a Lovecraft type writer here. I'm in the middle of writing 3 novels based from my dreams/nightmares. One of them started my writing carrer here from the Alan Wake Inspiration competition a year before. ^^

[MENTION=10619]Blood Raven[/MENTION], you sure follow in a way Lovecraft's steps. He used to write passionatelly the short stories as a beginner writer.
          The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

Well, I am more of a stort teller than anything, as I do it in all forms, but I do write, yeah.

My dad actually has 2 books out, which I am thinking would not be funny outside of the state, and also, we have two diffeent writing styles, so I don't think we could be compared, really.

I write films, never plays, and short stories. I have currently been working on a video game script, and I am working on a tech demo for a game I wrote right now!! It's crazy, and hopefully when I have something to show I can show it (without all that legal razzamatazz)!!

Comment

I too do some writing. Right now it is more recreational since I find it more of a learning curve for the time being.
              "Keep calm, and be grateful."

Comment

I'm near of the end of the episode 5 of my horror novel: "Flashbacks of Doom".
                The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

I have been writing some random stuff for awhile now. Poems mostly. Did a few short prologues to my rpg world, some history texts and such stuff. I also wrote a long(ish) introduction to my character to my friend's rpg campaign, and made a few short stories.

I like writing, very much. Writing and drawing have same things that I like, but they are the exact opposites to themselves as far as purposes go. I like drawing, because there is a task to be done. Something specific, planned, I like executing(if still fast and with a rough look). It's not the same with writing. I kind of feel like improvising and just purely expressing myself through writing. It sort of gives me a wider range of area to work with, than drawing for example.

Even though I do plan what I write, it is largely spontaneous, improvised text. My(imo) best ideas come out of the blue, and so I tend to go with just what comes to mind, rather then to ponder it for long.

I have so many ideas I would like to put on that piece of paper, but I really seem not to be able to just do it. I need more stronger feeling and knowledge to this. I enjoy it a lot, but I like it fast, not planned and not too long.

Maybe, in the future. But I think I'll stick to texts less than ten pages for awhile.

Improvisation has something to do with the area of themes I tend to be expressing(or trying to be expressing). Horror and mystery has this strong grip towards me. It's not so much about the logical and dangerous that drives me, but the unexplained and strange. Those things when people experience fright through something they first don't realize as scary, but slowly grow to understand, or realize. Something that first seems just a little bit off place, but later becomes this horrible realization of events or facts or whatever.

And sometimes, just pure stuff that defies any logic. Stephen King for instance has this cunning ability to express these things. He just puts some words and settings on the paper, which at first may seem nothing more than slightly strange at some way, but if the reader visualizes such facts or situations a bit more, really THINKS about it, the utter horror rises to his or her spine.

That's what I think, yeah. Small stuff, random stuff. But these nice little scribbles that brings to me some feeling of fulfilling.

My Literature section at dA, if someone should be interest what random stuff exactly.
                  We are what we choose to be, not what we want to be

Comment

I make a small (embarrassingly miniscule, in fact) portion of my living off of my short stories. There's nothing wrong with putting your work out there for free, but there is also absolutely no shame in making money from your art. I work damned hard on my stories. I labor over the structure, the characters, the thematic implications. I revise again and again, not only because I want the story to be the best it possibly can be for my sake, but because I want it to be the best it possibly can be for the sake of my readers. And since I work so hard, yes, I seek compensation. Replace "art" with any other skilled service. "Plumbing should be shared, not sold." "Automotive repair is bigger and more noble than capitalism." Sounds silly to me.

I won't dole out advice, because I really don't think I've reached the appropriate level of expertise for that sort of thing. But I will say, there are TONS of excellent tools available to writers who intend to make a living with their art. In particular, if you aren't using Duotrope.com, you should be. It's an invaluable resource for finding appropriate markets for your fiction.
                    This Should Mean Something...

Comment

I read a neat quote recently from a guy named Andre Kostolany, “When people buy my book, the fact that I receive the proceeds of the sale is secondary to the fact that people are willing to pay money to read my ideas.” I like to think along those lines. If people are buying it, you must be doing something right.

Comment

Nice thread.

What I most work on is poetry. It really pleases me, in many, many ways.

I don't write stories on a regular basis, but I made some back then, years ago. And given how young I was, I don't think I want to revisit them (I'm not claiming young lads can't do great work. I'm claiming that as a young lad, MY work wasn't good), they might be appealing for me now just because of the comedic and nostalgic value.

The last 'story' I was working on was for a comic of mine . I was trying to make the story as good as I could. I think the 'story' itself is complete, but, ultimately, I haven't got the time to finish the 'drawing' of the comic. Also, my drawings aren't very good, so there you go.

Comment

I've always enjoyed writing and I'm slowly-but-surely working on a post-apocalyptic novel. Whenever I get in the mood for writing I try and rush to add as much as I can to it, because when I lose these moods I don't write again for a LONG time.

It's taken me a few months to get to fifteen pages in Word, but it's a start.
                          In a horror story, the victim keeps asking "Why?", but there cannot be any explanation.The unanswered mystery is the one that stays with us the longest, and it's what we'll remember in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFoster View Post
                            Are you writing/written any stories?
                            I spend a lot more time planning my stories than actually writing them. It's a character flaw; I've only managed to get the one short story professionally published, and that was something that hit me with such a shock of inspiration that I wrote the first draft in two days. That's my favorite kind of writing. I wish I could do it more often.

I've got a novel coming together in my head. One day, I'll make like a professional and put pen to paper.
                            "I'm not afraid to be the center of attention!"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Scratch View Post
                              I spend a lot more time planning my stories than actually writing them. It's a character flaw; I've only managed to get the one short story professionally published, and that was something that hit me with such a shock of inspiration that I wrote the first draft in two days. That's my favorite kind of writing. I wish I could do it more often.

I've got a novel coming together in my head. One day, I'll make like a professional and put pen to paper.
                              Sounds like me. I've got all these great ideas running in my head, awesome characters, plot ideas, but then when I go to write it out, I'm stuck. I blame it on my ADD.
                              "And I was in the Darkness.
                              So Darkness I became."
                              Alan Wake Fanlisting

Comment

Originally posted by inferi View Post
                                Sounds like me. I've got all these great ideas running in my head, awesome characters, plot ideas, but then when I go to write it out, I'm stuck. I blame it on my ADD.
                                Make friends with adderall?

Anyway, I'm also an aspiring author. My sights, like I imagine most of you, are set on Remedy. It's one of a handful of publishers that actually focus on telling an interesting & mature story.

After taking some advice from Mr. Mikki here, I decided to do whatever I can to earn as much experience as I can. I managed to get a gig as a paid reviewer @ Cheat Happens in a segment that will be called "Juiced Up," and I also scheduled an interview with Hi Rez Studios (Tribes: Ascend/Global Agenda) regarding an internship. Apart from that, I'm busting my butt to publish as much material as I can online. Right now I have a pretty successful webcomic starring a young Bobby Kotick.

Basically, I'm building experience and a fanbase... and in about five or six years, maybe I will be someone worthy enough to fly over to Finland. Until then, I'm just another college grad looking for a start in the interactive entertainment industry.
                                Last edited by Olek; 03-22-2012, 05:23 AM.
                                "But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"
                                — Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X