The English Classroom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The English Classroom

This thread is getting a test run to see if it works. The purpose of this thread is for people that are not native English to learn from those that have better knowledge of the language. People can ask questions or simply read hints, tips and advice on how to improve.
    First off, let's set some ground rules.

If you feel you have sufficient knowledge of the English written language, feel free to write something here that can help the fellow forum members improve their own knowledge. It would be best if everyone tried to keep their posts as simple as possible, as others may have difficulties fully understanding the language. If you wish to write more elaborate and advanced texts, it's probably a good idea to state that it is for the more advanced learners. We don't want people to come out of here more confused than they were when they entered the thread.

If you have difficulties understanding something or simply wish to seek advice on how to improve, please don't be shy. Not everyone has the luxury of learning English from an early age. Some hardly even have any form of English studies in their educational systems. We're not here to pick on your English, we're here to help you improve.

There will be no making fun of those that don't write as good as others. Regular forum rules apply here as in any other place on the forum. This thread is to be used for educational purposes, and nothing else. Please try to remain on topic, and behave yourselves. I probably don't have to say this, because I think most people here are rather friendly in any case. I just don't want to see people discouraged from seeking advice because others have been morons. So please, let's continue being friendly.

Thanks guys.

PS: The idea of this thread came from GENE_BC who himself wish to better learn English. So all credits go to GENE for bringing this up. Good thinking, buddy!
    "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Re: The English Classroom

Gene_BC, my friend, you're not the only one, who wants to learn English. WakeLestat360 and many of the users here do have problems not only to spell the English fluently, but also to write them without making any grammar mistakes.

Any questions and grammar issues are welcomed.
    The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

This made my evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
        This made my evening.
        How so?
        "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Good stuff.

I will help whenever i can.
          Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Don't worry, TannosukeGR. We'll help you out

As for me: I'm having trouble with spotting what English words are correct in British English. For instance: is it grey or gray?
            Last edited by JackGordon; 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM.
            "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
            (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

Comment

I'll gladly help if I can (I'm actually hoping to do a Teaching English as a Foreign Language course when I finish my degree this year).

Comment

Originally posted by JackGordon View Post
                Don't worry, TannosukeGR. We'll help you out

As for me: I'm having trouble with spotting what English words are correct in British English. For instance: is it grey or gray?
                It's 'grey' in British English - that's the spelling i've always used anyway I think the 'gray' spelling is more common in American English.

Out of curiousity, what's your native language?
                Last edited by kokosoko; 02-12-2011, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kokosoko View Post
                  It's 'grey' in British English - that's the spelling i've always used anyway I think the 'gray' spelling is more common in American English.
                  Well, I used to talk like this, because I learned American English at my school. I don't know its difference with the "Grey", but I know it's a word of the color.

Speaking of Native languages, what's yours? Mine is Greek.
                  Do you know any other languages besides your native ones? I do know English and Japanese.
                  The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

Well I'm American, and if i remember correctly, I believe they tell us that 'grey' is the correct way to spell it here also. Never did learn where the 'gray' spelling came from and why all of us seemed to use it till about the 8th grade when we were told that was wrong.
                    I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Comment

Out of curiousity, what's your native language?
                      Dutch. But my mother used to be an English and Dutch teacher in a French speaking school. So I was raised with three languages. Sadly, I've forgotten most of my French (speaking it, I mean. I still understand it perfectly) and my English is a bit rusty.

Comment

Originally posted by JackGordon View Post
                        my English is a bit rusty.
                        Rusty? You actually speak (well, write) English better than alot of people I know. I mean, it's such a rare sight to see correct grammar.
                        I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Comment

Much obliged

Comment

Great! I personally hope to get deeper insight to English language. So I think this thread is an excellent idea.

If you are visiting any internet page with English as the common language used in that side, the site will probably underline any misspelled text that you will be posting on that site. This fact has actually improved my English skills. By using dictionary(a book will work but internet has some very good sites to use as well) I can try to find out quite fast the right spelling for any given word. So it is a constant learning curve between fixing the mistakes and then later on, avoiding the mistakes.

Just a side note that I have personally noticed during my slow learning curve of the English language.

But I will be very thankful for any help I can get, if and when I need it.
                            We are what we choose to be, not what we want to be

Comment

sounds very god i kan perfekt englisch speaken...........
                              naaah just kidding, i also want to improve my english skills, so its a very interessting thread for me. Thanks.
                              "Reality is overrated."

Comment

Working...
                              X