The Roots of One's Username

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Roots of One's Username

When I first posted in the newcomer topic I explained a little bit about where my username came from. Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with Alan Wake.

Anyway, being a part of other forums over my years of using the Internet I've always enjoyed hearing the stories behind others' usernames. So please, mystify our minds with the unique, absurd, horrific or even the simple reason(s) behind the choosing of your current username.
    Last edited by Not The Writer; 03-07-2011, 04:55 AM.
    I rarely reply to topics.

Re: The Roots of One's Username

My username is abbreviation of other username, Greater Mk Monkey, which is little similiar with Gretel Mk II, which is character from TimeSplitters 2.
    I should put something great to this signature, right? Well...Cake is great, isin't it? Everyone knows cakes are delicious!

Comment

I am what I do. Originally, I chose this because I wanted to remain anonymous on a different site. I was much more paranoid back then.
      Avoid fruit and nuts; after all, you are what you eat.
      -Garfield the Cat

Comment

My nick has been with me since, oh, it must have been 1999. The whole story behind it is incredibly long and complex, and I'm not even sure I remember all of it. But the nick "Kahr" is actually short for "Kahran" (Ramsus) from Xenogears (came in 1998 if I'm not mistaken). I chose that nick at a time when I was enjoying Xenogears, and I specifically chose Kahr for what he was in the game (I am not going to go into detail about that right now - if you've played the game, you'll probably understand). I mostly only spent time online on IRC back then, so that's where I used the nick. Over the years, Kahr stuck with me, and I've just been Kahr ever since. I remember a few times on IRC I've tried changing the nick, but that always ended up in an uproar of people bitching me out for changing my nick when I was so obviously Kahr. Always was, always will be.

So that's the short version.
        "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

'Jack': is a name that was given to me by my friends in 2001 when I spent more time drinking Jack Daniels at an Irish Pub in Ghent (Belgium) instead of going to school.
          'Gordon': is a (fake) surname borrowed from a character in the movie 'The Silence of the Lambs'. A brief description of the scene:
          Spoiler:
          "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
          (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

Comment

zhinarkos is a god of nature in my pen&paper roleplaying campaign. Thought it felt good idea when i took it. I used it everywhere and now I have a problem. The nick is so unique that no one else uses it. So now, if you put my nick to search, all you get is my stuff. Well, heck, whats done is done...
            We are what we choose to be, not what we want to be

Comment

Some 15+ years ago, my best friend created this game called 'Maddieman' in Qbasic. Attached is a screen. After that we made dozens of (mostly terrible) Maddieman games.

Years later when I had to register for my first forum (maxpayne headquarters), I was about to go with something noobish, like The Jackal, when it suddenly occurred to me to use Maddieman instead. It stuck.

The only problem now is that, at the time of registering, I forgot that I have an older cousin who's name really is Maddie (short for Madeline). Can be a tad embarrassing at family reunions.
              Attached Files

Comment

My name is Apina and my favorite animal is Antti.

Wait...
                KATAKOMB - Upcoming horror game by me

Comment

Well...im kinda crazy aint i ._.
                  I'm back.

Comment

ADM is short for ADoomedMarine, a nick I started using when I joined the 3D Realms forums. A Doomed Marine was taken from Duke3D where Duke sees a dead space marine and says "That's one doomed space marine".

Over the time ADoomedMarine was just so long and everyone called me ADM anyway so I changed it.

It's also a username I no longer use on the net other than here and one other forum. Everywhere else I go by sidetwo now.

Problem is how do you change a username in a community where everyone knows you as ADM?

Comment

Well, Moridin is the name of one of my favorite characters from my favorite book series, chosen due to the fact that it means Death in the books' fictional language, and the Master bit is simply the result of trying to make a Xbox Live profile. Never knew so many people used it. Now I use the name everywhere, save for two places, where instead I remove the Master and use a self-made surname instead, result, MoridinGhantren.
                      I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Comment

@ ADM: I always wonder about the people with short names and whether they are initials of the person or simply an acronym for something else! Thanks for clearing that one up.

And to everyone else: very interesting to read!
                        I rarely reply to topics.

Comment

My favourite, the original Catwoman.

Not that I have anything against the car, KITT. But Kitt - Kitty - Catwoman? It's kind of purrrrfect.

WELP, here goes my secret identity.
                          <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

My username is made up of two Japanese words 'koko' (here) and 'soko' (there). A few years ago I was trying to think of a new username for an LJ account and because I was attempting to learn Japanese at the time these words were just floating around my head.

Comment

Morry is my actual nickname amongst my friends, originating as a shortened version of my surname - Morrison.
                              Remedy's currently known projects:
                              Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X