Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PC build thread

Originally posted by TannosukeGR View Post
    IMO, those cards aren't THAT expensive. I have checked them out and figured out their price. They're €200(around $220). Not so expensive.
    Thats great because I was looking to stay in the $200-250 range for cards. As far as the expense, I just meant that the one card was priced a little more than the other, I didn't think they were SUPER EXPENSIVE.

Comment

I bought an ASUS Nvidia GTX 560 Ti card for 215€ and it works very well. High performance, quiet and long lifespan, power/heat ratio is excellent.

It was a beauty, I just love seeing brand new parts. Also bought AMD FX 8-core processor, Scythe Ninja Silent cooler, new motherboard from Asus, and 4Gt of memory. Skyrim sure works very well, but I haven't tested it that much. Best part was Civilization V, it runs smoothly with max graphics, max AI players and with he biggest map, with very little to no lag at all.

Probably have to see how Battlefield 3 performes when I have a chance.

My current video card: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/N...II_TOP2DI1GD5/
      We are what we choose to be, not what we want to be

Comment

Is Liquid Cooling the way to go now?

Comment

Originally posted by Skip View Post
          Is Liquid Cooling the way to go now?
          Only if you want to go crazy overclocking.

I think if you are just going to use one of those Antec Kuhler 620 / 920 or equivalent self-contained liquid cooling units then the performance works out to equal to top of the range air cooling solutions.

HOWEVER, those self-contained liquid cooling solutions take up less space and get the heat specfically from your CPU out of the PC straight away whereas top of the range air cooling blocks some of the airflow within your case (as it physically is bulkier).

Though most reviews make all of the good solutions fall with 1-2 degrees celsius of each other. So.......... probably noise becomes your next concerns. (but they all beat stock coolers by ~20 deg celsius). If you are going for a mid sized case it might be easier to fit an Antec Kuhler without compromising case airflow for the other parts in your PC. But for a standard ATX format the traditional aircooling methods are still just as good (if not better) and have a better $$/performance ratio.

If you go for completely custom water cooling then you should be aiming to outperform all air cooling solutions and all self-contained water cooling solutions and the only scenario where this would be practicable is for extreme overclocking.
          Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

I was actually wondering about those closed liquid cooling systems the other day. I was suppose to go with the cheapest, but didn't know whether there actually was some profound difference between the brands and the product prices.

The ones I was looking into was these from corsair http://www.corsair.com/cpu-cooling-k...pu-cooler.html

and two of those Antec H20 coolers here http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/prod...quidcpucoolers

But I wasn't really sure

Comment

Yeah the Antec Kuhler's (620 & 920) are both very nice, and they're easy to install. Never had any issues with them. Just make sure whatever case you match them to can fit the radiator in.

I'm probably going to use the 620 again on my Ivybridge. Just need to check that the mounting plate fits.

If you are worried about the pump noises, water cooling issues, and/or if something goes wrong having to pull it apart... you can just go with one of the thermaltake jing's or equivalent as they are just as good, if not better than watercooling:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/coo...-jing-review/1

or alternative option:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...k-pro-review/1
              Last edited by yogibbear; 01-19-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I'm finalizing my list of components that we're going to use to build our systems... I'm thinking about the Cooler Master Cosmos II. My other favorite case was the Thermaltake Tsunami Dream. But that's a bit old now. Most cases look pretty bland these days imo. But the damn Cosmos II is a bit pricey. Anybody try one out yet?

Comment

I'm finally posting from my new PC!!!! Here's what I went with:

INTEL I7-2700K 3.50 GHZ
                  AMD RADEON HD6950 2GB DDR5
                  KINGSTON HYPER-X 8 GB DDR3/ 1600 MHZ
                  120 GB OCZ AGILITY 3 SATA III SSD
                  1TB SATA III 7200 RPM 3.5" HDD
                  CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX V2 POWER SUPPLY
                  COOLERMASTER HYPER 212 EVO GAMING COOLING FAN
                  LG WH12LS39 12X BLU-RAY REWRITER
                  Windows 7 (64-bit)

First thing I did after updating and adding protection software: Install Alan Wake!!!
                  Last edited by Skip; 02-26-2012, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Love it. Almost got every single awesome part. The only sad thing is that ivybridge comes out in april and kepler comes out in march :/

Comment

I took an old Tsunami Dream that I gave to someone (who scratched it up and filled it with dust bunnies and grime) and repainted it. Overtime I hope to replicate Agent Mulder's office.

Comment

Now it's time I did the serious upgrade. Start recommending me the processor, which would be more powerful than the AMD Athlon(tm) X2 64 Dual Core Processor +4800 2.5GHz.

Currently my rig is:

Videocard: NVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti
                        Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) X2 64 Dual Core Processor +4800 2.5GHz
                        RAM: 4GB

The thing is that only my processor is really old and needs to be upgraded to the peak. I tried playing The Witcher 2, but it can keep itself up with grudge even in low graphics. Even in low graphics I already have FPS downs.

I'll think myself about the pricings. [MENTION=4905]djshauny1[/MENTION], the pricings ought to be around €200-300, or higher for very good processors.

I want to note to everyone that I want a SOUNDLESS(It's for professional music production, because this current one is hearable) and for MULTIMEDIA(I mean for gaming, movies, etc).
                        Last edited by TannosukeGR; 03-26-2012, 08:55 AM.
                        The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

For any of you who are a little less tech savvy and are looking to upgrade your rigs or build a new one, rankmycomputer.com can help you figure out which pieces of hardware are better.

Comment

Kudos to [MENTION=23505]canyourunit[/MENTION]

I decided to go for it... But can you guys tell me which is more powerful.

1) AMD PHENOM II X6 1100T 3.3GHZ SIX-CORE BLACK EDITION. It seems REALLY powerful and so cheap. The cheapest it can be found is €185.

OR

2) AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0 GHz Dual Core Socket AM3 65W Box. It's quite powerful, but 3 generation forward than my own. The cheapest price is €65.

OR

If you know any other models to suggest me, then throw a suggestion.

I'm looking for a SILENT processor. It's not only for gaming purposes, but also for music purposes. I don't wanna hear ANY sound from this processor.

The ball goes on you, so over to you!
                            Last edited by TannosukeGR; 03-28-2012, 12:32 AM.
                            The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

I guess I am throwing you off sent here, but as a additional possible solution for a processor, I myself am running on AMD FX-8120, with 3,1Ghz speed and 8 cores, plus on top of it the silent version of the scythe ninja 3 cooler http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products...r/ninja-3.html coupled with ASUS' version of the Geforce 560 Ti graphics card (a bit better version than the basic 560 Ti, but main differences are in cooling and endurance).

I can run Alan Wake for instance, on max settings and with little to no lag (I bet there is some, but I can't notice it).

I am happy with the processor, the 8 cores seem to be enough to parallel at some level with i7 processors from Intel, and the system performance really has increased. The ninja cooler is huge, but for change, actually cools rather just makes noise.

So yeah, those are my experiences. Carry on.

Comment

Working...
                              X