A bitter-sweet important announcement from your loyal Community Manager

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bitter-sweet important announcement from your loyal Community Manager

From 3D Realms to Deep Six to Max Payne Dev to AlanWake.net and finally AlanWake.com to Remedygames.com - I've definitely been around the community these past 11 years.

ELEVEN YEARS - wow. That is ridiculously crazy. That's how long I have dedicated to Remedy and it has all paid off. I turned from a fan to an employee at the company I love.

I've been officially working for Remedy for nearly 3 years now and unofficially for 4 years prior to that and loved every moment of it. I've worked with extremely talented people and have learnt a great deal - it really was my dream job and I'm so proud that I could achieve that dream and so incredibly grateful to the guys at Remedy for trusting me to become a part of the team. I owe everything to the team for giving me my start in the gaming industry.

So you might wonder why this sounds like a goodbye - simple answer being, it unfortunately is.

It's my time to say goodbye to the tiny community that I originally started and saw grow into the thriving family that it is now.

Now I should mention that me leaving has nothing to do with Remedy -- seriously the future is AWESOME. I cannot be more proud of the team with what they're doing and once they start talking about the next thing I'm sure you'll feel the same as I do now. As a fan, trust me when I say the future is golden - sparkling golden, with freakin' tinsels on top!

I made this decision because I wanted to expand my knowledge and experience in not just the Gaming Industry but also my personal life. There's always a time in someones life that you have to make really important and tough decisions like this in order to move ahead and even though it's a big step, I felt that now was as good of a time as any to make that shift.

So where am I headed? Well I'm spreading my wings a bit and heading off overseas to Germany to work on-site in a video game studio there. I'll announce more details about my exciting new endeavour at a later date.

Since I was doing all my work for Remedy remotely from Australia, this is going to be a very different situation. It's the first time I'll have ever experienced moving to a new country and I can't wait for the inevitable challenge and in return the excitement that it'll all offer.

So as of the end of this month it'll be the end of an era for me as my last day at Remedy is on the 31st of May 2012. I was going to list a bunch of names and start thanking everyone but I have a feeling I'll leave someone off if I start doing that. I'm sure you know who you all are.

I'll still be visiting the community to keep up to date with everything but obviously not as much as I'll be limited by the amount of time I have. However if for some reason you want to keep up with what I'm doing you can follow me on Twitter - @sidetwo.

I know that I'm leaving the community in very responsible hands due to my excellent moderating team and that's why it makes it so much easier to make this move. So a huge thanks to everyone here, thanks for the awesome conversations I've had with you all and thanks for being such a brilliant community.

-Pete

Re: A bitter-sweet important announcement from your loyal Community Manager

I haven't logged into these forums in a long while, though I do snoop around from time to time. This is sad news Pete, BUT...I can hear the excitement in your tone and you obviously believe this is a step in the right direction. Although I haven't been here for quite some time, I can recall that when I was more active in these forums, you did an excellent job here. You've always been passionate about your work and I'm sure you will carry that into your new job as well. I have signed up with many forums on the net, so I can feel safe in saying thank you for your superior service. Yes, it really is superior. Remedy has a fine eye for talent and picking members of the team, so I'm sure whoever fills your slot will be just as dedicated.

Thank you, once again, and may you see nothing but progress, success and happiness in all you do. Take good care of yourself man, oh, and take pics of Germany too

Comment

Sad to hear. But hey, you're moving to Germany! Maybe we'll meet some day

Good luck!
      Last edited by Prof.Dr.Moertel; 05-16-2012, 03:14 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=2136]sdrawkcab[/MENTION] - Thanks man. Really means a lot to me to hear that!

[MENTION=21707]Prof.Dr.Moertel[/MENTION] - Definitely, would be cool to organise a community meetup one day around there

Comment

Best of luck, Pete. Go out and conquer the world!
          "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

I wish you all the luck!
            I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Comment

See you around Pete! Enjoy germany!

Best of luck!
              Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Have fun!

Comment

Goodbye,Pete!
                  This forum is going to feel empty without you.
                  ''Nightmares exist outside of logic, and there’s little fun to be had in explanations; they’re antithetical to the poetry of fear...''
                  -Stephen King

Comment

Dam man

Its not going to be the same.

Question: Why didnt you just move to finland and work at Remedy there instead of doing it from Australia?

Also, who will be the new Community Manager?
                    Last edited by djshauny1; 05-16-2012, 10:25 PM.
                    Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Are you serious? I mean, I'm still a "newbie" here, arrived in 2009, I am not as long as the others ... But I hold great respect and admiration for you, you always kept this community at a superior level, always keeping everything moving smoothly and communicating, bringing news, competitions, everything to make this forum a "family".

I wish you luck in your new journey, and hope you do not leave us!
                      "Now I am become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds"

Comment

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the kind comments.

Don't worry I will still be around as a fan, so it's not a total goodbye.

[MENTION=4905]djshauny1[/MENTION] - Unfortunately, it all came down to timing and things just didn't align for me to go over there on site.

As for who the new community manager will be.. it could be you.. or you... or you.. <-- that's me pointing to all different directions at random people in a crowd, imagine it really dramatic for extra cool effect. But yeah the job is advertised here:
                        http://remedygames.com/extra/job-openings/

Comment

Thank you for everything Pete! And good luck.

This is for you:

It's a traditional Finnish farewell song and I'm sure most Remedy guys knows this as well.
                          My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

Originally posted by sidetwo View Post
                            Thanks guys. I really appreciate the kind comments.

Don't worry I will still be around as a fan, so it's not a total goodbye.

[MENTION=4905]djshauny1[/MENTION] - Unfortunately, it all came down to timing and things just didn't align for me to go over there on site.

As for who the new community manager will be.. it could be you.. or you... or you.. <-- that's me pointing to all different directions at random people in a crowd, imagine it really dramatic for extra cool effect. But yeah the job is advertised here:
                            http://remedygames.com/extra/job-openings/
                            I could only dream it was me lol

But best of luck in Germany dude

I think Morry should be the Community Manager
                            Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

YOU- WHAT- NO!

YOU CANT LEAVE ME WITH THE OTHER BABOONS OF REMEDY LIKE MORRY, MIKKIRMD AND KAHR. I WILL NOT ALLOW IT! (i mean baboons in a good way )

Awww well. I hope you do really well. Read my tweets if you're reading this first

Comment

Working...
                              X