Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remedy is moving!

Hey guys,

As those of you who follow us on teh Twitters know, we're in the process of moving to new offices. I thought I'd post some pictures and talk a little bit about it. We've been in our old building for about a decade or so, so as you can imagine, uprooting and moving to another location is a kind of a big operation.

I'm sure the obvious question is why -- why are we moving? In a word: space. The old building was great for us, and I think I can safely say that everybody was very comfortable there, but it just wasn't that big. Those who have followed our progress during the past couple of years know that we've been hiring quite a few new people, and as a direct result, the size of the building has bocame more and more of an issue. We actually had to banish our Digital team to a temporary location for a while because of space reasons -- it was either that or set up workstations in the lobby, and that would've been just ridiculous. We saw this coming, of course, but finding a new place isn't that easy. More about that later.

So, for the past week or so, our lobby has looked pretty much like this:

Except with much more boxes, because by the time I took this picture, most of them had already been put to use.

If you were to turn around, you would see this:

Those are a lot more sturdy, and we use those to transport things that are more fragile or valuable, the kind of things that you really wouldn't want to fall into the wrong hands -- I'm pretty sure some of our servers traveled in those, for example, as did some of our more expensive cameras and the like. You really don't want to put something that could cost thousands or tens of thousands of euros just in a box and then leave it lying around -- moves are always a bit of a hassle, and the likelihood that somebody puts something heavy on the top of the box the wrong way and crushes everything underneath (or that somebody just walks past while the move is going on and decides to have a quick look-see through a box) might be just a little too high. It's just a good idea to lock some things up so they don't get damaged or snatched.

But mostly, what we have is boxes. Infinite boxes. As you always do in a move, we've thrown away a lot of stuff -- old furniture, old computer hardware (some of it has found a new home with employees, some of it is just too old to be any good and has gone into recycling), and so forth, but even so, there's just a mass of stuff that needs to be moved to the new offices. So: infinite boxes.

We can't put everything that's fragile into those big lockboxes, so proper packing is a kind of a big deal. A lot of things need to be wrapped up properly to keep them from being damaged in transit. We got a huge roll of bubble wrap. It was almost impossible to not just sit down next to it and spend the day popping.

Popping.

Popping.

One more.

Okay, I'm done.

[SIZE="1"]Pop.[/SIZE]

I mentioned cameras before. We have a lot of different cameras, and it follows from that we also have a lot of tripods. They're used not just for the cameras themselves, but also for lights and the like, as well as the occasional makeshift mic stand or whatever else we might need them for -- in a studio environment, a surprising number of problems get solved with tripods. We have quite a lot of tripods.

I'm pretty sure those aren't anywhere near all of them.

There's also an axe and a sledgehammer. You know, in case.

One of the things we use the cameras for is modeling things -- we work from photographs a lot, so if we want to model, say, a jacket, we need a lot of photos of it. That's where this guy comes in. (Before somebody asks, I don't actually know why he's wearing that particular jacket -- I'm pretty sure it's there just because somebody was testing something, or maybe because he deserves a little dignity. Not enough to have pants, though. That'd be too much dignity.)

He's looking a little lost, he's not used to just being in the hallway like this.

Without pants.

No-Pants "Anti-Pants" McPantsless used to be in here, in the studio we had set up in our mocap space:

I know, it doesn't look like much, now. All we need is some generic grime all over the place, and it'd be like a post-apocalyptic scene. We had cameras, lights, and all sorts of equipment set up here, but with it packed up, all that's left is a mess.

On top of one of the boxes was something that we probably haven't taken out of its plastic bag in, I don't know, ages:

We have all of the costumes still in storage, and that's Rose's original waitress uniform from Alan Wake. Of course, we ended up changing the colors quite a bit! Note the spelling of "Xbox" on the label -- that probably tells you a little bit about how much back this goes; back in the day, people still hadn't quite gotten used to the proper spelling, so you saw a lot of "X-BOX" and "XBox" and whatnot. (Not that a lot of people don't manage to screw it up even today! =))

Oh, and you may have noticed stickers on various boxes and objects, like this:

The color (in this case, green) indicates which floor the object in question should go, and the number indicates the room. Finally, the name tells you who it belongs to. The image above is the sticker on my computer, which tells you that it's headed for the third floor, room 317, my desk.

Anyway! Moving up one floor, we come to where our assistant Camilla sits along with our assistant HR manager, JiiPee. They've been busy packing up their office, as you can see:

Those boxes look just like any other boxes, but I'm pretty sure that if they were to be lost, everything would grind to a halt. In those boxes, there are binders full of various contracts and other paperwork, our medicine cabinet (aspirin, ibuprofen, cough medicine, a couple of thermometers, adhesive bandages, antacid pills, vitamins, that sort of thing)... And office supplies! If we run out of whiteboard pens or notepads, believe me, this place will implode.

Right next to their office is where [MENTION=27]MikaRMD[/MENTION] and Matias Myllyrinne, our CEO, sit. In their office, I found this:

Matias gave up smoking years ago. He took up a shoe habit instead. True fact!

Seriously, dude's stylin'.

Anyway, when I was taking these pictures, almost everything had been packed up, except for what people absolutely needed to get work done. Our IT department had started earlier than others -- they needed to make sure that the new office had the proper infrastructure waiting for the rest of us when we moved in, so they already took a lot of things with them.

All they left was a handful of little tools of destruction.

Still, throughout all of this, we've been working even as we've been packing. It's been a little surreal in some ways, sitting at our computers while the surroundings are stripped away and boxes pile up, changing the geography of the office in weird ways -- red walls spring up, corridors suddenly become narrow, and you can't find anything anymore.

For the most part, we don't have to carry this stuff ourselves -- once we'd packed everything up, a moving company came and did the heavy lifting. We do need to unpack at the other end, of course.

All of this cost us a day -- I doubt a lot of people got any actual work done on Friday; we had to be all packed up by noon. I don't have any pictures of the actual move, because I stayed late on Thursday and made sure all of my stuff was squared away, and thus I had no need to go to the office on Friday. It was a little more complicated for some others, who actually had to do some last-minute things, like shut down our builder servers and so forth. Being a writer has its advantages in situations like this; all I really have to worry about is my computer and a bunch of books. Other teams have specialized equipment set up that they have to take down, and some of those things can't be done until the very last minute.

That's pretty much it. In closing, I would like to post one final image, which is a wonderful demonstration of how the combination of regrettable composition and perfect timing can give the wrong impression, with the able assistance of Ethan Watson, generalist programmer, and Petteri Salo, senior engine programmer:

My work here is done.

I'll post some images from the new place soon and tell you a little bit about it, including why we chose that one -- that's where I'll be working on Monday, and depending on whether I can find the time that night, that's also when I'll be posting. No promises, though! I'm sure it'll be a bit of a mess (although if everything goes to plan, everybody's workstation should be set up and ready for use by the time we go in, because our IT guys are pretty awesome).

Hope you found this interesting.

Peace out!
    Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Re: Remedy is moving!

Oh, and I'm sure people have questions about the new office. Fire away, I'll answer the ones I can in the next post.
    Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Does your new office have a sauna room like your old one?

Is the tree coming too?
      Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

I saw a post on twitter from Sam Lake, he posted some great shots of the new stained glass windows at your new office, Looking shiny!!!!

I'm curious to know where you will be based now as I am moving to Riihimaki in 4 months time from the UK, so I have keeping an eye out for programming Jobs. When I move over to Finland Ill be a graduate so will be looking for junior positions or even just volutary work to get some experience.

Espoo is easy enough to get to from Riihimaki through Helsinki via train so I'm hoping you havent moved too far away

Also while I have your attention is there an email address I can contact about possible work experience/voluntary work programming for Remedy?

Thank you and I hope you have plenty of bubble wrap left over to ease the stress of moving... POP POP!

P.S Ill be in Finland next week so if you have moved into Helsinki city centre, may walk past and have a nosey

Comment

Shame you guys had to move

Looking foward to seeing the new place soon
          Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAfar View Post
            I saw a post on twitter from Sam Lake, he posted some great shots of the new stained glass windows at your new office, Looking shiny!!!!

I'm curious to know where you will be based now as I am moving to Riihimaki in 4 months time from the UK, so I have keeping an eye out for programming Jobs. When I move over to Finland Ill be a graduate so will be looking for junior positions or even just volutary work to get some experience.

Espoo is easy enough to get to from Riihimaki through Helsinki via train so I'm hoping you havent moved too far away

Also while I have your attention is there an email address I can contact about possible work experience/voluntary work programming for Remedy?

Thank you and I hope you have plenty of bubble wrap left over to ease the stress of moving... POP POP!

P.S Ill be in Finland next week so if you have moved into Helsinki city centre, may walk past and have a nosey
            Try here, perhaps: http://remedygames.com/recruit/

Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Not sure if I missed it, but where are you moving to? Still located in Espoo or Helsinki?

Comment

As I said, I'll get into the "where" more in the next post, but we're still in Espoo, not very far from our previous location.

Comment

Ok, cool!

Comment

Hey, please dont lose Alan Wake beta while moving, maybe it should be better put in on those mini containers...

Comment

I guess new place has a lot of windows and a view out (on a snowy roads) like on those pictures above
                      X

Comment

Will the Remedy Home Brew club be getting a dedicated room?

Thanks for all of the photos, Mikki!
                        Remedy's currently known projects:
                        Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

In this much space, no one can hear you dev... The new office is so huge that we could probably introduce each and every room and corner one per day for the next whole year. Bear in mind that it's going to take some time to get everything looking good enough to post. When I left the office last Friday we didn't even have any counters in the kitchen.

Sam tweeted this view from another angle, but you can see our gaming area behind the glass wall (sans the actual gaming stuff and sofas). Maybe something magical has happened over the weekend, I just can't wait to see the place again tomorrow!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Awesome! Can you show us some more of those glass silhouette designs?
                            Remedy's currently known projects:
                            Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Is the new office at one of them bland/ugly/characterless business parks Espoo is full of?
                              End of the internets

Comment

Working...
                              X