Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentary about Remedy!

Hi there.

I need a little help from somebody who live in Finland. There's a documentary about Remedy and some other gamedev companies, and right now it's streamingly available at
    http://areena.yle.fi/tv/1396102
    Unfortunately, I can't watch it from my country, though I would very much love to, even know I don't know finnish language at all. Maybe I'll find somebody who will translate that to me in the future.

Anyway, I would like somebody to grab the streaming video(highest quality available preferably) and upload it to some filehost at one's choice, so that I could watch it. If you have any difficulties, I can recommend some tools.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Documentary about Remedy!

Actually it has subtitles in English and you can probably watch it via a Finnish proxy (kinda like some people watch BBC's iPlayer via some UK proxies).

The documentary has Sam Lake and other Remedy founding members talking about how the company got started and how they came up with Max Payne. Alan Wake is mostly used as video clips, they don't really mention it in the interviews.

All in all a good documentary and worth watching if you're interested in the history of the Finnish game industry

Comment

/Actually it has subtitles in English
      Hell that's great news! I wish I could also get these separately.

/All in all a good documentary and worth watching if you're interested in the history of the Finnish game industry
      I am! I absolutely am!
      But see, I don't really know how to deal with proxies. I tried, but never had much luck. Besides, I wasn't able to find finnish ones. UK, US - dozens. But not finnish.
      Can you yourself help me getting the video and subs, please?

Comment

Instead of breaking copyright laws I recommend contacting YLE's customer service at ohjelmapalaute@yle.fi

You can just simply ask them if they're willing to make Pelinrakentajat internationally accessible, as it seems that the documentary is both produced and directed by YLE.

My high school history teacher used to ask YLE for reruns of programs he had missed (he even phoned the customer service under different aliases), and usually he got his way. It likely had something to do with the fact that YLE is a public broadcasting company, just like BBC, and it gets its funding from the taxpayers' money.

Comment

I wrote them at their YouTube account several weeks ago. Nothing.
          I personally, don't see anything bad about opening the broadcast to all the world, but lets face the it - this(me, not a finnish person, watching the video) ain't happening by their will.
          So it's only about whether someone here in particular is willing to help me or not.
          I see your point, Lauri, and I respect it. But I want to watch the film.

Comment

Unfortunately email and phone are the only ways to contact them, or at least ways to get a reply. I really do believe that if a bunch of you guys send YLE a polite email asking for making the documentary international, they'll comply. Their own productions don't usually have English subtitles, so this program is most likely considered to be shown also outside Finland.

And what comes to the question you send as a PM: YLE Areena has only SD versions, but YLE has its own HD channel on which the documentary has originally been broadcast.

Comment

Oh. HD, is it here?
              http://yle.fi/ohjelmat/1349085

Comment

Originally posted by linkRed View Post
                Oh. HD, is it here?
                http://yle.fi/ohjelmat/1349085
                The only way to have the HD version is to have recorded it on your DVR when it was originally broadcast. The rerun was shown on YLE Teema, which isn't HD. Yes, our public broadcasting company has only one HD channel, which broadcasts only between 5 and 11 PM. We're a developing HD country.

Comment

Originally posted by Lauri View Post
                  The only way to have the HD version is to have recorded it on your DVR when it was originally broadcast. The rerun was shown on YLE Teema, which isn't HD. Yes, our public broadcasting company has only one HD channel, which broadcasts only between 5 and 11 PM. We're a developing HD country.
                  And scratch that, apparently is was shown only on Teema.

Comment

Oh well.
                    I came up with the thought that I'm lacking hacking skills to retrieve the vid, haha.
                    Besides, SD is available on YouTube, so what am I doing.
                    I just hope it will be released in HD on iTunes or some else.

Thanks for being communicative, Lauri.
                    But man, there's got to be some real noxious people working at YLE - make a good documentary, english subs and only air it at Finland, in SD :|
                    Last edited by linkRed; 01-11-2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

No problemo, now you just have to learn Finnish! At least then you could communicate with YLE folk, in addition to understanding what people are saying on that program.

Comment

I agree, it is a good documentary and definitely worth watching. Even if the bit about Recoil and Samuli Syvahuoko makes me feel kinda sad.. The guy and his studio deserved so much better. Rochard was an excellent game.

I was pretty impressed with YLE thanks to this and the demoscene document. It's good to see mainstream media paying attention to these things.. especially considering how important demoscene has been to the Finnish tech industry.

Comment

Working...
                        X