This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhianna Pratchett's TEDx Talk

Recently Rhianna Pratchett's TEDx talk was posted online! She talks about writers in the video game industry and the future of stories in the medium.

It's pretty interesting! I love story-focused games so it's always great to see talks with video game writers.

I think some of the scenarios she talks about are quite different from Remedy's situation, especially as she gives examples where writers are brought in last minute to build the story. But she also talks about narrative limitations in games whether that be because of the budget or technology; I remember she said in a previous interview that writers and stories need to be incredibly flexible in video games, and I've always found that idea fascinating.

(Also she's working on the upcoming Tomb Raider game, which I'm really really excited for! )
    Last edited by Jaden; 01-21-2013, 08:04 PM.
    The Sudden Stop - Remedy Fansite

Re: Rhianna Pratchett's TEDx Talk

Hmm... sounds a bit like these particular companies she talks about, don't have proper management, team leaders and such.
    That there's only one guy organising everything and simply doing too much.
    Something in those lines Is the luck when you're sitting next to a duck.... What?!?!

I think this is a good proof that gaming company, needs to be exactly that. A company. Even in a smaller scale, there needs to be a... what's the word hierarchy. The Big boss, lieutenants, sergeants, cannon fodder. I think these companies are just not that well build. They don't have right ingredients to form a company.

What ever it is, it's a strange thing. Why hire a writer if you're going to half-ass it anyway? Why not let cousing Bob do the writing if it's not the main focus. I'm baffled......they should train monkeys like Monty Burns did in the Simpsons.

Why did I think of Mikki, when I saw the writer in a box reading "do not feed the writer."

Have you noticed that writing late in the night makes you write crazy stuff? For some reason it's also when I'm the most creative. I always draw, and do music in the night, better than I do in the daytime.

Going offtopic. Must. Stop. Writing. Stupid. Bye.
    I don't wanna be buried in a pet cemetary

Comment

Dumb question: is she related to Terry Pratchett?
      Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Yeah, she's his daughter.

And yes, it's not a big exaggeration to say that in a lot of companies the writer is somebody who's not on staff -- a contractor who's brought in when the game is already more or less designed the kind of "story it up," which is definitely not an easy way to tell a good story in an engaging way.
        Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

I guess you can save a few bucks not having the writer on your staff, and hire them only part time. But that can't be in any a good decision in the longer term for an entertainment company.

OK if it is a struggling company and you have to save some money, by cutting things. I can see why to do that. She didn't understandably say any details who these companies were, so it's hard to say really if it's a terrible decision in a business sense. Or if these writers were seasoned expensive writers, or just out of scholl rookies who work for beer money.

AAnd if the gameplay is solid, most players will enjoy the game anyway and probably buy the next game too. And that might lead to more money equals more staff, better organization, more departments for various aspects of making games, and so on.

To even think about these things. It's seems almost impossible for a new gaming company to survive with out some serious money, and some business school genious running things, along side with good creative leaders and marketing. And even if all these things are in check, if the game is a failure there's little if no chance for recovery.

I've never spent time thinging about these things and now I'm feeling a little "depressed". The way money works is stupid. We need a better system than crash and burn, rise to glory, CRASH! System

How can anything work in this globe of shit.

Comment

Yeah well it basically rings true from what I've at least observed writers in the games industry say themselves in interviews... e.g. the gearbox one's re: Borderlands 2 and even what we've seen Mikki post around here back when Alan Wake wasn't even released yet and we got to ask some tough questions.
            Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickman View Post
              I'm baffled......they should train monkeys like Monty Burns did in the Simpsons.

Why did I think of Mikki, when I saw the writer in a box reading "do not feed the writer."
              Lol! I hope Sam and Mikki aren't chained in a cage in Remedy's new office. Do you have bananas in Finland?! Word is monkeys like bananas. Oh my! I forgot, do not feed the writer!

To even think about these things. It's seems almost impossible for a new gaming company to survive with out some serious money, and some business school genious running things, along side with good creative leaders and marketing. And even if all these things are in check, if the game is a failure there's little if no chance for recovery.
              Well, that really depends on what type of games they wanted to make. With so many platforms nowadays, anything is possible. I myself don't work in the industry, but if you want to make it big, there must be some form of structure in your organization.

And you must put some passion into it, as well. In the gaming industry, you are creating a product that is not a necessity of life. It's not a commodity, it's just entertainment. It must be something really good in order for people to become attracted to it. The way I see it, it has to be really good.

I've never spent time thinging about these things and now I'm feeling a little "depressed". The way money works is stupid. We need a better system than crash and burn, rise to glory, CRASH! System

How can anything work in this globe of shit.
              Yeah, it sucks sometimes. But that's how it is in this doggy-dog world. I meant "dog-eat-dog" world. It is a struggle, that's what it is. The thing is, genuine artists are passionate people. They are the ones that have something to show or to give to the world, instead of taking from the world. They are the ones that make this world a much better place.

Cheers!

Edit: By the way, isn't Miss Pratchett hot? I think she's hot! I like the way she speak! Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraw!!!
              Last edited by Jill; 01-22-2013, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill
                Do you have bananas in Finland?
                Sure. Imported of course. But I'm sure that with modern genetic manipulation you could make a super banana that can prosper in the Finnish enviroment.

Originally posted by Jill
                Well, that really depends on what type of games they wanted to make. With so many platforms nowadays, anything is possible.
                Yeah of course, that's why it's awesome that smaller games can do well in the Xbox Live, PSN type services. But at the same time the big companies "need" to spend more and more money into making games. It has to stop at some point, before it gets out of control. Unless it already has. Well maybe it's only on the brink of stepping on the wrong side of the line.

I don't want the game industry turning into a hollywood monster. The stories you hear about suits telling what your work is supposed be, make small adjustments so that everybody is happy and nobody is hurt. I think this would be much funnier if the dog would say the line. Everybody likes dogs!! Let's make our own super hero movie, those make a lot of money!!
                NNNNOOOooooo!!!! NO!! No!

OK that's enough EMO for today. It was supposed to be about writing for games, but I spit on the rules man.

The english accent is very sexy.

Comment

I don't want the game industry turning into a hollywood monster. The stories you hear about suits telling what your work is supposed be, make small adjustments so that everybody is happy and nobody is hurt.
                  Yeah, I know what you mean. I think that is already happening in some big developer/publisher companies of the gaming industry. I don't want to mention names here, but I think this scenario already exist in some companies at present time. I've heard some stories, too. And they could get ugly at times.

The english accent is very sexy.
                  Hell, yeah!!! F@ck, I'm already getting hrny just by talking about it. Man, that stuff is hot!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jill View Post
                    Hell, yeah!!! F@ck, I'm already getting hrny just by talking about it. Man, that stuff is hot!!!
                    Hey, you know what? This is one of my peers you're talking about. She's a good writer, and she doesn't deserve this kind of shit. Last year was full of incidents that involved people being dicks to women in this industry, and it sucked. It sucked so, so hard. It made me genuinely embarrassed and ashamed to make games for an audience that behaved like that, and it makes me sad and angry that I even have to bring this up here. But clearly I do.

New rule: you wanna talk about how horny somebody makes you, do it somewhere else.

Manners.
                    Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
                      Hey, you know what? This is one of my peers you're talking about. She's a good writer, and she doesn't deserve this kind of shit.
                      Mikki Dude, chill! Aren't you reading first before posting? Didn't you read first what was being pointed out in post #9? Pickman said previously something about the "English Accent." I even quoted him in post #9. My response to Pickman has nothing to do with Miss Pratchett. It was about the English Accent being Sexy. I just responded to that point that Pickman made. And that was a compliment in general to the accent. And my response to Pickman in post #9 has nothing to do with Miss Pratchett. Go ahead, check it again, she was not even mentioned in post #9. Even Pickman did not mention her in his post. It was about the accent, not her. I was merely complementing Pickman's point about the accent in general, not her.

Mikki Dude, you didn't "get" the exchanges. I can't believe you didn't pick up on the exchanges. And you've over-reacted by accusing one of your patron. Yes, I may use some foul languages every now and then, I admit that. But my response on post #9 has nothing to do with what you are talking about, Dude.

...Whatever, Man.

Comment

You're right, Jill. Mikki just didn't understand what you meant by posting about how sexually aroused you were by a TEDtalk on a video game forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirror Peak View Post
                          posting about how sexually aroused you were by a TEDtalk on a video game forum.
                          Dude, this is false information! I never said that! It's fascinating how every time you come in Mirror Peak, you are trying to put words into my mouth, words I did not say. Previously, I said I liked the way she speak. Even Pickman got it and gave his own opinion how the "English Accent" is "Very Sexy." I then expressed that I'm getting aroused by it. The stuff is hot. It was a compliment to the accent. It was about the "Accent." It's the ACCENT, Dude! Pickman got it. We understand each other. It's between Pickman and Me complimenting the English Accent.

Some women also find the English Accent sexy. How come when it's the men that makes a compliment, all of a sudden it's taboo? It was not even directed at the person involved. It was a mutual conversation between 2 men appreciating something beautiful about a particular way a language is spoken, and all of a sudden all hell is crashing down!

I never said anything about getting aroused by a TEDtalk. Dude, you are putting words into my mouth again. That is disinformation, Man! It's the Accent. Read it again, Dude. Even Pickman got it in just one shot - "The English Accent is Very Sexy!" - Man, how hard can it be?!

Good luck next time, Dude. But you've got it wrong again.

Comment

It's the "OH MY GOD SHE'S MAKING ME HORNY VAVAVOOM" part that's the problem here, not which aspect of her you're talking about.

I can see that you either genuinely don't understand or, more likely, don't want to understand why there could be a problem here, and I'm sorry about that, but this is the part where you accept that I consider it a problem and act accordingly, or go somewhere else. Perhaps consider the possibility that you are not coming across the way you think you are, while you're at it. What you are doing is not cool.

Also, to be clear, I'm not open for a debate about this. New rule is in full effect. Moving on.

Comment

Mikki has spoken.

I think this discussion has run its course, so I'll close this thread.

Thanks for the link, Jaden!
                              Remedy's currently known projects:
                              Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X