Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War of the Worlds (Spoiler warning!)

So whose seen it?

I saw it a couple of hours ago and really enjoyed it. The end was abit abrupt but other then that it was really well played out.

I'm a huge fan of end of the world type movies especially ones about Aliens

This movie was VERY remniscent of Half Life 2, so much that I just expected Gordon Freeman to take down a couple of those striders.. I mean tripods

Re: War of the Worlds (Spoiler warning!)

You mean HL2 is very reminiscent of WOTW. Read the novel, it's great! Even better, it's public domain! Can't believe it's over a century old too.

http://manybooks.net/titles/wellshgetext92warw12.html

I read the book avidly as an eight-year old, and the movie is a great updating of the film. It's not without it's problems, but then very few movies don't have any, in particular the alien design. I can deal with the concept that the alien war machines are already here because it's complete guesswork on the part of the humans plus there are depths we've never reached under the crust. I can also deal with the aliens dying due to germs, mainly because that's the concept of the book and that they're SO alien, maybe they have no concept of them? Best laid plans, and all. They are studying from a distance of millions of miles and our own military history has examples of glaring faults going unnoticed.

I don't know if it was because I'm such a fan of the original novel (and the Jeff Wayne musical, which is cheesy fun) but I thought it was one of the scariest blockbusters in ages. Really taps into primal fears. Spielberg ratchets up the tension to unbelievable levels, and the sound design is incredible. That first tripod, standing there whooping and chugging away, is a real feat of CGI, and when it lets rip this film turns into a war film more in tune with Private Ryan or Schnidlers List than any science fiction before it.

The one image that really got me was post-ferry. The sky is full of burnt up clothing floating down in the breeze. Christ knows why anyone would get on a brightly lit ferry anyway during an alien invasion.
    Listen up you primitive apes! See this? *This* is my *boom stick*!

Comment

Woah I never knew it was public domain! Kickass. I'm going to have to check it out.

Also yeah I know HL2 took ideas from WOW.. someone really needs to make a WOW mod for that game

Now I totally agree with you that the movie was emotional, it actually made you feel for the characters. Heck I hate Tom Cruise and I didn't want to see him die in the movie The part where they are all in the car and the crowd is trying to take them out and get in themselves was crazy, I really felt for him at that time.

Also yeah I have no idea how they actually thought getting on the ferry was a good idea.. heh.

Comment

Glad I made your day! And I agree, a WOW mod for HL2 would be awesome. Those Tripods are far, far bigger than Striders and a lot more flexible.

And that car bit really got nasty. Was really suprised by how far they pushed the rating - to be blunt, it should be higher.
        Listen up you primitive apes! See this? *This* is my *boom stick*!

Comment

Has anyone readed the WOW book? I think it was better than the this third movie version of orginal radio story.

Comment

Can anyone tell me why, when the first tripod came out, that camera was able to still be on and videotaping it kill people? Didnt the electro magnetic pulse things shutdown all electronics? Also, when that plane crashed, wasn't it a little too convenient for the whole neighborhood to be destroyed and yet the van was untouched? with a perfect little path in front of it out of the destruction? I admit it did a great job of building up the emotions to a big climax but then....there was none, it was like "hey cool we won."

Comment

Maybe they had another battery, or they fixed it. Or possibly it only damaged things within a certain radius (most likely one).

Comment

Within a certain radius? All the cars on the highway forever were stopped and not working, they had the only working car except for the army, thats a pretty huge radius, and im sure that camera was in it. More batteries wouldnt fix the camera just like changing the battery didnt fix the car.

And for that matter, if it WAS a problem with the battery, then the EMP would have messed up any batteries in the area to replace it with

It was either a mistake that Spielberg overlooked (which I doubt) or a mistake that he was willing to look past to get the cool effect of seeing the tripod through the cameras view.
                Last edited by QwNtacular; 07-08-2005, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X