• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost in the Shell live action??

Looks to be an emerging reality:
    http://movies.ign.com/articles/866/866556p1.html
    http://www.variety.com/VR1117984029.html

I’m extremely leery of such names as Avi Arad and Jamie Moss being the creative forces behind the adaptation, given their collective resume and creative history. I’d rather have Shirow, Oshii, Kamiyama (OK enough Japanese names), Gibson and Joel Silver getting their combined energies behind the production. They were all involved in the anime franchise’s of GitS to varying degrees.

At least Spielberg seems quite keen about it, and Minority Report is certainly no slouch in the subgenre.

[SIZE="1"]Fangirl demand #1: Motoko has to be Japanese. I don't care if it's the current Miss Japan with a purple bob, or a Caucasian or Hispanic actress with a Michael Jackson-turns-oriental makeover & an exceedingly expensive dialogue coach.[/SIZE]
    Mirrors are more fun than Television

Re: Post your desktop!

I just read in my monthly Sci-Fi magazine that Dreamworks have got the goahead for the creation of a live action version of Ghost in the Shell. It's unspecific as to whether they're going to follow the anime, which is the product of several stories taken from the manga and correlated into one, or if they're going to start from scratch. Also Leonardo Di Caprio is supposedly producing the new Akira live action, so I figured I'd get a dose of that too. (I'd rather they left both alone, but if they must meddle, here's hoping they do a good job)

I'm glad you're all still active on here.
    If only *you* could see what *I've* seen with your eyes. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Gothmog View Post
      I just read in my monthly Sci-Fi magazine that Dreamworks have got the goahead for the creation of a live action version of Ghost in the Shell. It's unspecific as to whether they're going to follow the anime, which is the product of several stories taken from the manga and correlated into one, or if they're going to start from scratch. Also Leonardo Di Caprio is supposedly producing the new Akira live action, so I figured I'd get a dose of that too. (I'd rather they left both alone, but if they must meddle, here's hoping they do a good job)
      I noted that somewhere in a thread on these boards. Speilberg mentioned he would like to produce his take on an overall origin story for Ghost in the Shell, so expect it to be more like the original '95 movie or the early manga comics. Of course 'his take' could translate into a vague inspirational work that could be restricted to a few correlating elements.

I'm not too worried. His last interpretations of dystopic scifi genre, Minority Report & A.I., were masterful IMO. Let's just ignore War of the Worlds

Comment

I'm hoping for a GitS Stand Alone Complex season 2 feel to it.
        ~+Impure Thoughts, Unethical Movements, A Shifting of the Soul into the Deeper Darker Secrets+~

Comment

Re: Ghost in the Shell live action??

^^Thought I'd copy these posts over and inject some life back into this thread.

So am I the only one who's a bit... 'meh' about this news?

I'm sure it's in good hands (kind of), but why can't they just leave something like this alone? Akira and Ghost in the Shell are pretty much the flagships of anime and manga in the west, what good will remaking them as live action do?

I'm not saying remakes haven't worked in the past (The Thing comes to mind), but...

I'm off to sulk in a corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
            ^^Thought I'd copy these posts over and inject some life back into this thread.
            Am I quoting myself in this thread? Who am I quoting?

Cmon! This some shoddy Admin work

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
            So am I the only one who's a bit... 'meh' about this news?

I'm sure it's in good hands (kind of), but why can't they just leave something like this alone? Akira and Ghost in the Shell are pretty much the flagships of anime and manga in the west, what good will remaking them as live action do?
            Obviously not, as I have conveyed that I feel the same. However, given Hollywood’s track record of handing off quality material to two-bit hacks, giving GitS to whom they have is above reproach. Not by much, but above the average raping of scifi comic anime that’s done these days.

I’m personally not looking for a remake, but rather a close-to verbatim translation of the pretty flawless material that has already been translated to the screen. But if Spielberg wants to branch off in his own ideas, at least he’s one that I can feel more comfortable with than, say, 80% of other directors in the Hollywood studio system.

Question is, what do you want: the butch Motoko from the first GitS movie, or the sultry badass purplehead from SAC?

Comment

Obviously not, as I have conveyed that I feel the same. However, given Hollywood’s track record of handing off quality material to two-bit hacks, giving GitS to whom they have is above reproach. Not by much, but above the average raping of scifi comic anime that’s done these days.
              I realise that, but I was expecting a bit more public rioting here - a minor tantrum at least. I guess we'll have to wait for the remake of Bladerunner, or Terminator, or Total Recall, or Aliens, for that.

Spielberg is an excellent director, no question; and you're right, much better than about 99.9% of the people that could have directed. Even so, I'm not entirely convinced he's well suited for this - at least for me anyway. IMO James Cameron would have been a better fit...

(EDIT: Hmm, okay it seems like Cameron is already doing something similar...)

Am I quoting myself in this thread? Who am I quoting?
              [SIZE="4"]"Originally Posted by Gothmog "[/SIZE]

Sigh, what's more annoying is that I'm still going to fix it anyway.

Comment

Sorry Rave, you know how scatterbrained I can be, and I'm not exactly prompt on forums either. Too busy killing helicopters with cars. Now that you bring it up though I do remember you mentioning this, at the time it was a toss up between several other companies as well as Dreamworks. Looks like we have a winner. Honestly I really wish they'd just leave this franchise well alone, but I guess I've enjoyed most of Spielberg's Sci-fi attempts. I think Ghost in the Shell is a lot different from most of his other movies. One thing I will say is that the backdrops, atmospherics and futuristic cityscapes will probably be gorgeous. I'm not convinced he'll capture the essence and ongoing philosophy of the universe very accurately though. Having said that he is a self-proclaimed fan so anything is possible.

All the time I have no choice, I'd like the movie to take a page from the original anime's, either that or from Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society (Enix if you haven't seen this, it's a movie based in the SAC universe), which I love almost as much as I do the original animation, but for different reasons. I like both of the Stand Alone Complex gigs, but I'm not sure how well the Tachikoma's from the first will go down with mainstream demographics...

As well as the philosophizing that is riddled throughout. I just hope that if this does happen, and I'm sure it will now, it's done intelligently, not just mindless action packed garbage. I'd like the Wachowski Brothers to have a shot at it, personally.
                If only *you* could see what *I've* seen with your eyes. ;)

Comment

Working...
                X