Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game to Movie Conversions: What's your fav & do you think Alan Wake could make it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game to Movie Conversions: What's your fav & do you think Alan Wake could make it?

Okay... everyone knows Game to Movie conversions are generally very very bad. Generally making a tonne of money for very little effort or plummetting and doing absolutel crap at the box office because everyone expects them to be crap. Soo.... let's discuss whether or not the "premise" (as we don't know enough yet so it's all speculation) of Alan Wake would make for a good, if not the no. 1, game to movie conversion.

So... what to do:

1. State your favourite #1, or couple of game to movie conversions
    2. State your least favourite game to movie conversions
    3. Game you most wish was a movie but isn't yet (not inc. AW)
    4. Do you think AW would make a good game to movie conversion? Why/why not
    5. State any other general feelings you have to this terrible genre of the film industry.

I'll start us off:

1. Favourites: Mortal Kombat, Doom, Resident Evil (I know i'm i sucker for Milla Jokovich despite the hate for this movie series)

2. Least favourites: Street Fighter, Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li, any of the Tomb Raider's

3. American McGee's Alice / Vampire:TMB

4. Yes it probably could. BUT if it's the whole psychological thriller, then people that have played the game and know the twists would probably already have the movie ruined for them. Although that's like all game-to-movie conversions... hence the general crappiness.

5. The problem I find with most game-to-movie conversions is everyone is buff, hot, overly-stereotyped and completely 1-dimensional in their character sets. From their first to their last line they never ever ever change, and twists are so predictable, and scares are so weak, that the entire movie quality rests on gore, nudity, cheap scares, and lame jokes.

Although what I find even funnier is that the movie to game genre is even worse of an offender.
    Last edited by yogibbear; 03-08-2009, 03:13 PM.

• JackGordon
    replied
    Re: Game to Movie Conversions: What's your fav & do you think Alan Wake could make it

Originally posted by TannosukeGR View Post
    1. Batman(the classic ones)

Batman movies are based on the comic books... Not the video games, at least not that I know of.

Leave a comment:

• TannosukeGR
    replied
    Re: Game to Movie Conversions: What's your fav & do you think Alan Wake could make it

1. Batman(the classic ones)
    2. Alone In The Dark(the one, which Uwe Boll, the worst director created) and of course Max Payne.
    3. The Witcher, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy(not the animated ones, the Live action I want), Kameo, Jericho and of course the Vampires: Masquerade and Bloodlines.
    4. Of course I do, because it has a good storytelling and needs to be on movies, like how did they release the DLCs, so the same goes for the movies.
    5. Lately the film industries don't follow every videogame and create whatever they make in their head, just like what happened with Dragonball and that's what disappoints me. If they ought to play ALL THE GAMES, they'd follow what do we feel about the games and what do we want from them to create without asking for our help. They didn't hear our warning, thus happening the hellish of the worst things.

Leave a comment:

• yogibbear
    replied

Originally posted by Kitt View Post
    There's a big difference between how we play the game, and how the character in the film would react. Not to mention, the second point there doesn't sound as fun as the first, does it? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to walk all the way across Capital Wasteland.

Watch the Road/Mad Max/the Book of Eli

You don't need many characters at all to make a good post-apoc movie.

Leave a comment:

• M.O.T.H.
    replied

Alan Wake's story is too complex? I fail to see that. Like most video games, I dont think the story is really good enough to translate well to film.

While I loved the game, and I've even stated that Sam Rockwell would make a good Wake, I just dont see it, realistically. The game was fun, but I def. thought the story was greatly lacking.

As for others...I cant believe Heavy Rain may make the jump to the big screen. Heavy Rain was one of my favorite games of the year. It was tons of fun, but talk about a generic/cliche story for a movie. Works well for a video game, but a movie? Not so much.

Dead Space, Uncharted, God of War, Mass Effect, Gears of War, and Half-Life...are a few that I think could work in the right hands.

Bioshock is an interesting one, because it's a fantastic concept...but the fact that you have a silent and essentially invisible protagonist hurts its chances.

I really like the concept behind inFAMOUS/Prototype as well...and that could easily work well. But the super hero thing has been done to death.
    Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 01-26-2011, 04:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JackGordon
    replied

1. Silent Hill.
    2. The rest.
    3. Kane & Lynch. It's (still?) being made. However, they already screwed up with the cast so there it goes...
    4. I don't think AW would translate well onto the big screen. The story is too complex and there's no way they can tell it in less than two hours.
    5. It's abomination after abomination. Even Silent Hill is rubbish, though I consider it to be the best game to movie adaptation yet; at least they got the look and feel right. But let's stay with both feet on the ground here: the only reason they decide to make these movies is to cash in on the popularity of the franchise. Don't expect quality.

Leave a comment:

• Kitt
    replied

1. I somewhat enjoyed the first Tomb Raider, but I can't really think of any other that I remotely enjoyed. I usually tend to stay away from them, anyway.

2. Again, I don't really watch them, but Max Payne...

3. I wouldn't mind seeing Assassin's Creed from the eyes of someone else's ancestor, and without any of the Animus involved- strictly the historical setting. Conspiracy, action, recognizable locations, big twists... I think it would have marvellous potential. Maybe a noir type film in 1920's New York, or London through the course of the Industrial Revolution.

I'd also say Uncharted, but with the way that's going... Eurgh...

4. Do you think AW would make a good game to movie conversion? Not entirely. As Maddie said, I think the better jump would be game to television, due to the episodic format and the length of the game- if it took roughly ten hours to explain the plot to the player, how long of a film would that be? A series would better play with the viewer's mind over the course of a season or two rather than a meagre few hours.

5. The problem with games to movies is that you're transferring a lengthy experience (anywhere from 8-100+ hours depending on the game) into a 2 hour synopsis of the world, characters and plot. That's a lot of compression, and more often than not, it makes the story strained without much room for decent exposition. Then the film typically turns to what the game does best: combat, something that consists of half the game and yet should not take up half the film.

It's a tricky business, I just think that filmmakers often take the wrong approach. For instance, say you wanted to make a Fallout 3 film. You could do one of two things:

-Have the protagonist leave the vault and follow clue after clue to his father's whereabouts, slaying mutants left and right, teleporting across the 'map' of the film through big scene cuts, keeping his PipBoy 3000 jazz music playing all the while; OR

-Have the protagonist leave the vault into a silent, abandoned wasteland, very occasionally coming across some of the surface-dwellers and experiencing the harsh truths of the world, gradually finding his father through great pains and evolving over time into the hero who would fulfil his father's dreams.

There's a big difference between how we play the game, and how the character in the film would react. Not to mention, the second point there doesn't sound as fun as the first, does it? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to walk all the way across Capital Wasteland.

Leave a comment:

• Ruffus
    replied

Movie to game: Die Hard or Demolition Man
    Game to movie: Hitman
    Worst movie adaptations: Silent Hill and Resident Evil. Although Silent Hill was true to it's environment and atmosphere it wasn't true to the male lead and enemy types only found in SH1 (Pyramid Head). Resident Evil had nothing to do with the game except for zombies - 'nuff said.
    And yes I believe in an Alan Wake movie fully. Take on this giant, Remedy!

After-thought: the Max Payne movie kicked all kinds of ass, I totally forgot about that one.

Leave a comment:

• Galactus
    replied

I hope that we will see Metal Gear Solid movie someday. Josh Holloway would be a great Snake. Try to imagine him with brown hair and bandana.

Leave a comment:

• boomerang
    replied

Originally posted by Vlado View Post
    Or opposite - games based on films
    Well did you play The Godfather?That was the BEST movie-to-game adaption I played.It follows the movie and the novel so good and it also gives it a RPG-element by introducing you in the world of Mafia.
    The best game-to-movie adaptation:uh....DOOM and MORTAL KOMBAT
    The worst game-to-movie adaptation: Postal (Uwe Boll made it look like utter Shitte)
    An Alan Wake Movie will ROCK if it would be made.

Leave a comment:

• Vlado
    replied

Originally posted by KaineDamo View Post
    Personally I don't think video games need films to validate the game.
    Or opposite - games based on films

Leave a comment:

• KaineDamo
    replied

Personally I don't think video games need films to validate the game.

Leave a comment:

• shwhjw
    replied

Surely before we cant say if we think AW could make it as a film we should know the story... Here's where Markus can help (or poke fun at us).
    Last edited by shwhjw; 03-13-2009, 11:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hobo In A Box
    replied

The directors just don't look at the game story enough, personally, the only director who I think has come close to getting an accurate game based movie is uwe boll with postal.

Leave a comment:

• sdrawkcab
    replied

Originally posted by northernlights View Post
    Personally I can't understand why people are so aggressive against movie adaptions.
    Because they suck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X