Music Gigs, Festivals, and Concerts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Gigs, Festivals, and Concerts

Festival season is right around the corner, so in a similar fashion to the "what are you listening to right now?" threads, what concerts have you seen recently or are about to see?

I was going to see a New Orleans Brass band tonight, called The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, but unfortunately they've had to cancel last minute -- their flight got delayed. Bummer.

So the last person I saw live was a guy called Chris Stout - about a month ago. He's a pretty interesting fiddle player who combines traditional Scottish tunes with Jazz and classical arrangements (as well as a healthy dose of world music for good measure). Strange to see a lineup of Fiddle, Rabcca (Brazilian fiddle), Harp, Piano, Guitar, and Saxophone, but it sounded amazing.

Anyway, who have you seen recently? Anyone going to a summer music festival this year?

Re: Music Gigs, Festivals, and Concerts

If I was in the UK, I would be checking out the recently reformed Skunk Anansie.
    If I was in the US, I would be following Tom Morello around with his new band, Street Sweeper Social Club.

Unfortunately, its rare to find a decent rock band coming to Australia these days. It's usually a once-a-year thing down here.
    Remedy's currently known projects:
    Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Last band I've seen was Yodelice. They're good on record but absolutely mindblowing live. Honestly, damn good.
      I'll probably watch a little acoustic/indie show tonight. Just some local stuff.

Festival wise I'll just be on two free mini festivals here in belgium and on the Cactus Festival. Also very small but some decent bands (65daysofstatic, mono, Gutter Twins,...).

Is it just me or are the big festivals extremely weak this year?
      Last edited by One Eyed Jack; 06-12-2009, 07:29 PM.
      Open up the broken cup
      Let goodly sin and sunshine in

Comment

Saw Rock im Park last weekend. It´s one of the biggest open air concert here in Germany. It was really cool but the weather was quite bad (a lot of rain).
        Saw there bands like Billy Talent, The Subways, Slipknot, The Prodigy ...

Comment

Rock IM rules.

I'm off to the Reading Festival in August.

Never been before, so its gonna be totez awesome.

Was gonna go to 'Sonisphere' aswell in August, where Metallica, Linkin Park and such are headlining. But need money.

Comment

i wish i can go to a concert. but all the artists i would like to see are dead..
            "I Knocked So Much Teeth Out The Tooth Fairy Went Bankrupt" -Big L

Comment

^Yeah, I know the feeling. Dead, split up, or simply not touring. I'm glad I got to see Leonard Cohen last year.

And, that reminds me... one more option I forgot to add:

Are there any legendary concerts or gigs you wish you could have seen? (or just artists you would like to see on stage, but can't for whatever reason).

Comment

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
                Are there any legendary concerts or gigs you wish you could have seen? (or just artists you would like to see on stage, but can't for whatever reason).
                Woodstock - Who wouldn't?
                Nirvana unplugged - One of the finest performances ever.
                Beatles - Shea Stadium - I know I wouldn't be able to hear them but that's not the point.

There are more but can't think of them at the moment. I never was a huge concert person but I did enjoy Pearl Jam back in 2003 (they released all shows from the last three tours on CD so I listen to the one I was at all the time).
                I saw Daniel Johnston twice, I recommend it.

Oh, and when I was nine I saw Weird Al.
                You've been watching too much X-Files.

Comment

Another vote for Nirvana Unplugged, one of my goals in guitar playing is to be able to play all of those songs.

I would also say the Metallica S&M concert would have been epic - being a fan of rock and classical...it's the perfect match.

With regards to comedian performances - Eddie Murphy Raw, Ricky Gervais Animals and Dave Chappelle For What's Its Worth, are performances I would have paid generously to see.
                  Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Morry View Post
                    Another vote for Nirvana Unplugged, one of my goals in guitar playing is to be able to play all of those songs.

I would also say the Metallica S&M concert would have been epic - being a fan of rock and classical...it's the perfect match.

With regards to comedian performances - Eddie Murphy Raw, Ricky Gervais Animals and Dave Chappelle For What's Its Worth, are performances I would have paid generously to see.
                    All of them i completely agree.

Especially the S&M concert...

I'd have loved to see Metallica back in the late 80s, Megadeth in the early 90s. R.E.M. and Dreamtheater in the early 90s too.

Not to mention George Carlin in his early and later career.

Comment

For comedy, I'd have to go with Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl.
                      You've been watching too much X-Files.

Comment

I could've seen Metallica 4 times now, but never went.
                        Not my cup of tea.
                        Open up the broken cup
                        Let goodly sin and sunshine in

Comment

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack View Post
                          I could've seen Metallica 4 times now, but never went.
                          Not my cup of tea.
                          What a tease...

Comment

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
                            ^Yeah, I know the feeling. Dead, split up, or simply not touring. I'm glad I got to see Leonard Cohen last year.

And, that reminds me... one more option I forgot to add:

i wish i could have went to a 2pac, Eazy E or biggie smalls concert..
                            "I Knocked So Much Teeth Out The Tooth Fairy Went Bankrupt" -Big L

Comment

Audioslave in Cuba. As my all time favourite band, it saddens me that I will never be able to see them, now that they have broken up. As a consolation, I have been able to see Rage Against the Machine, and got to shake hands with Tom Morello...but still.
                              Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X