Music Gigs, Festivals, and Concerts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Music Gigs, Festivals, and Concerts

I wish I could've seen Kyuss. Preferably in the desert at a so called generator party. That must've been pure musical freedom.
    Open up the broken cup
    Let goodly sin and sunshine in

Comment

[Evilbump: As there's a dedicated 'best band you've seen live' thread, let's revert this back to the original "What was the last gig you saw?"]

A bit gutted I missed PJ Harvey last night (tickets sold out in a heartbeat), but I'm off to see Moishe's Bagel tonight! Looking forward to it.

Here's what I'm thinking about for the upcoming months:
      http://www.last.fm/user/Maddieman/events

Comment

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
        Here's what I'm thinking about for the upcoming months:
        http://www.last.fm/user/Maddieman/events
        ^The Unthanks are playing fairly near to where I live in April, so might try to see them.

Otherwise I haven't got any concerts planned so far this year. Hopefully that will change though; seeing live music makes the year more interesting. I just need to keep my eyes open for who's playing nearby.

Comment

Looking Forward to Provinssirock and System of a Down (finally)
          Art is not about technique or skill. It's about your soul you put on your work

Comment

Nice thread resurrection, Maddie.

I had to smile at the last post I made 2 years ago. Since then, I flew to Chicago back in May 2010 to go see Tom Morello perform a solo set. Not only did I get to meet him and have a chat, but I was also able to get up on stage with about 20 other people for the last two songs. There's no way I am ever going to be able to top that!

I've had a pretty amazing past year, being able to see some of my favourite bands, so here's a summary:
            Pearl Jam - Amazing set (3 hours and 3 bottles of wine)
            Blue Oyster Cult - Still amazing after 27 years of touring
            Metallica - Great concert, but the crowd wasn't that thrilling for some reason
            Korn - Brilliant concert in a small venue
            Rammstein - One of the best musical performances I've seen
            Tool (twice) - Memorable experience
            Iron Maiden - Brilliant stuff. Just classic heavy metal
            Slash - Quite good, but plays just the same as the recording

Hall of Shame:
            Queens of the Stone Age - How he drank a whole bottle of vodka and was still singing, I'll never know
            Iggy Pop - If you want to see a corpse kept alive on drugs, go see Iggy
            Remedy's currently known projects:
            Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Originally posted by kokosoko View Post
              ^The Unthanks are playing fairly near to where I live in April, so might try to see them.

Otherwise I haven't got any concerts planned so far this year. Hopefully that will change though; seeing live music makes the year more interesting. I just need to keep my eyes open for who's playing nearby.
              Yeah, I saw them on this show, and was awestruck - amazing voices.

Comment

JAPANTHER

The video sucks, but whatever. Saw them and then ran into Robert Ashley on BART, who gave me his media pass to go to GDC, so that was a ****ing awesome day.
                NEVER FORGET
                Jonathan "Maddieman" Hallier;
                5/13/05 - 5/4/10, 5/21/10 -

Comment

Just saw Jesca Hoop at Hoxton Square Bar & Kitchen! Awesome gig.

EDIT:

Here's a video from Jesca's gig the other night. (in HD!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfkO7gVeRMA (Money)
                  Last edited by Maddieman; 04-02-2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Two gigs in two nights? Saw the Unthanks at Shepard's Bush Empire.

Really wonderful sound - they brought practically a mini-orchestra with them, including a grand piano, an assortment of violins/violas, cello, double-bass, a ukulele, acoustic guitar, a trumpet that sounds more like a horn, drums, and clogs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enGRCQxvH-0

Comment

This summer I'm going to see Iron Maiden. I can't wait!

Comment

Weird Al is coming to my town in September, I'm going to buy tickets soon.

Comment

I saw Video Games Live in Toronto last night. Veeeery cool, definitely recommended. They played some great hits- everything from a classics medley including bits of everything from Frogger to Pong to Duck Hunt; Legend of Zelda; Halo; Shadow of the Colossus; Assassin's Creed 2; Castlevania; Chrono Trigger; Snake Eater from MGS3...

And for their second encore, a sing-along of Still Alive from Portal. It was really fun, definitely worth the money.
                          <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

^So jealous.

Last night a friend of mine got me onto the guest list to the final night of the NME Radar Tour, headlined by Anna Calvi

She ended the encore with a stonking version of Édith Piaf's Jezebel, a version you can watch here: Jezebel (Live)

Comment

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
                              ^So jealous.

Last night a friend of mine got me onto the guest list to the final night of the NME Radar Tour, headlined by Anna Calvi

She ended the encore with a stonking version of Édith Piaf's Jezebel, a version you can watch here: Jezebel (Live)
                              She is quite something. You know the spark that sets off a long musical quest? You definitely just set it off, thankyou.

Comment

Yes, definitely someone to watch for the future. She had a very strong stage presence, and you can see clips from the gig here: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ko+london&aq=f

Unfortunately she suffers badly from RSI, and apparently can't play for very long. It showed in the gig - between every song she was massaging her hands and neck, looked like she was in pain.

Anyway, for a complete change of pace, tomorrow night I'm off to see Abigail Washburn. \o/
                                Last edited by Maddieman; 05-19-2011, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X