What movie/tv show did you last see?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What movie did you last see?

^Emphasized for truth. Only, I enjoyed the boss battle. I like vulnerability.

Tip, but not a spoiler: Stay through the credits.
    ~+Impure Thoughts, Unethical Movements, A Shifting of the Soul into the Deeper Darker Secrets+~

Comment

Just got back from Indy 4, just a little unsatisfied.
      It had most of the features that make Indiana Jones films good - action, adventure, bad guys etc. But where I was looking for a bit of mystery and intrigue, the movie goes through a storyline that is predictable from the start. There were also elements of the storyline that were a bit too far-fetched for an Indy film, but they have kept the same theme of being ancient and supernatural.
      The other thing that nagged me was the use of CG. Now, most of the film wasn't affected by this, but certain points you can really tell they used CG for a scene that could easily have been done authentically, and it makes those scenes a bit cheap and fake. From the first camera shot, you can see a bit of CG - and that's just a car driving through the desert!
      On the other hand, the more epic use of CG was done quite well and you can see the team at ILM just keeps getting better over the years.
      I suspect the rating also played a part in some of the toned-down parts of the story. I don't think I spotted a single drop of blood apart from a little dribble from the side of Indy's mouth, and there was no sweat-stained, ripped and torn clothing. Most of the characters seemed to maintain impenetrable clothing despite all the rough and tumble action. Shia's hair could have been bolted in to place for all I know. The one part I miss the most though, was the villain's demise. Just when I thought the film was going to deliver, the camera cuts away to Indy's face and returns after the grizzly death scene. Thumbs down.

Overall, the film is a decent adventure film, not quite up to the same quality as the previous Indy films, but can still hold its own weight. I would compare it more to movies like The Mummy Returns and National Treasure.
      Last edited by Morry; 05-22-2008, 03:33 PM.
      Remedy's currently known projects:
      Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

If you're into over the top action movies, go see Wanted. I just did and I was surprised. Luckily, the complete unbelievability of the assassin's physical capabilities is established right away, and you can then bask in the ridiculousness of the action scenes to come.

The actors were not their typical selves, even though they appear to be in the trailers. There's a big twist, that I didn't see coming, that changes the direction of everything for the third act.
        Mirrors are more fun than Television

Comment

I recently saw:

The Number 23
          Cloverfield
          1408 (again)

Yeah, so I'm not hitting the theaters for the new stuff just yet, but these were titles I needed to own.

I'm looking forward to catching Wanted as well as Hancock.
          ~+Impure Thoughts, Unethical Movements, A Shifting of the Soul into the Deeper Darker Secrets+~

Comment

Last days, It was "la fÍte du cinťma" in France. First movie at 7.5€, every others et 2€
            So sunday, monday and yesterday, I watched :
            - Waltz with Bashir (an excellent, excellent≤ movie ! Good animation, objective point of view about war, its trauma and how to live with them afterwards. My must seen of the week-end.)
            - The golden compass (pop-corn movie, nothing more)
            - Sweeney Todd (oh my god, let me kill my self! I couldn't stand it after 20 minutes!! "I feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Jooooooohannaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" aaaaaaaaargl!)
            - The happening (not the best, not the worst of shyamalan)
            - Speed Racer (excellent ! An acid trip with a story a little too conventionnal, but an excellent moment. My second must seen of the week-end)
            - In bruges (good dialogs, far but tooooooo looooooooooooong)
            - REC (disappointed... not really scary at all. The atmosphere would have need to be more set out, I know easy with a Blair Witch direction. In fact, in my mind, I waited a creepy stuff like silent hill 2 ou 3)
            My blog

Comment

Check out the sweet new collection of Dark Knight clips: http://media.movies.ign.com/media/75...33/vids_1.html

I love the cast roll, though it could be dangerous having Michael Caine & Morgan Freeman in the same movie again. If they ever interact with each other, they might self-annihilate

Comment

Bicentennial Man. It's amazing how well this movie is made and how great the story is after the years it was written and eventually made into a movie.

Certainly a favorite.

Comment

My shipment of a few DVDís came in yesterday:

- In the Mouth of Madness
                  - Lost Highway
                  - Mrs. Doubtfire
                  - Strange Days

One of them is the odd one out. Canít quite put my finger on which

Comment

In the Mouth of Madness... that's the one with Sam Neill, isn't it? It's been ages since I've seen it.

The last two films I saw that were were 25th Hour and The Machinist -- quite a cool psychological thriller, and probably the only time I'll ever look in better shape than Christian Bale.

Comment

House of the Dead, by Uwe Boll

Long time since I haven't laughed like that. If some French readers are interested, I've written a sum up on my blog (in signature), you'll only lose 10 minutes of your life, not 90 ^_^
                      My blog

Comment

I saw The Dark Knight for the 3rd time on Tuesday. Can't get enough of it. Went to the midnight showing last Thursday, and it was without a doubt the best movie-going experience I've ever had. The movie, the crowd, it was all phenomenal.
                        I hope for nothing. I fear nothing.

Comment

Went and saw Step Brothers today. Easily the funniest film I've seen since Anchorman.
                          I hope for nothing. I fear nothing.

Comment

Rented some flicks a few days ago:

La Femme Nikita = Itís Frenchness made the movie. Jean Renoís appearance plays on what would be his future character of Leon. The progression of the movie was quite formulaic, leaving nothing to surprise. Superior to the crummy American ripoff by miles.

Layer Cake = Tasty movie. Daniel Craig has a wide range evident before his Bond days. Movie focused on the criminal enterprise of drugs rather than the end-users trying to resolve their damaged lives, which I liked. The most English jargon Iíve ever heard in a movie that I wasnít familiar with.

Blue Velvet = A more straightforward Lynch movie experience, more approachable at face value as a caper/mystery with some sadomasochism thrown in. It sort of disappointed me, because, and I didnít think Iíd ever use such a phrase - Itís no Lost Highway. Dennis Hopper is hilarious though, but I canít see him as a viable threat to anyone.

Comment

The Dark Knight.

Epic.

Comment

The Prestige, also by Christopher Nolan and starring Chrstian Bale and Michael Caine. Enjoyable, but with plenty of unrealised potential. Not worth renting unless the audience plans to remain very sober.

Comment

Working...
                                X