Alan Wake Film/Show Recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Wake Film/Show Recommendations

Alan Wake has already been released in Europe, and it's about to be released in North America.

For those of you still waiting or those of you who are on an "Alan Wake high", I decided to make this thread so that anyone interested in watching Alan Wake-esque films/shows can find a comprehensive list.

Feel free to contribute to the list.

My recommendations :

- Secret Window (film)
    - Twin Peaks (show)
    - The Shining (film)
    - The Machinist (film)
    "For he did not know that beyond the lake he called home lies a deeper, darker ocean green, where waves are both wilder and more serene. To its ports I've been. To its ports I've been."

Re: Alan Wake Film/Show Recommendations

Actually, anything by Steven King is a safe bet. Alan Wake is inspired by Steven King (amongst some others of course).

Twin Peaks is of course a safe bet, and highly recommended to EVERYONE!
    "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

In The Mouth Of Madness by John Carpenter, excellent film that's also set in a small town (and revolves around a mysterious writer who's gone missing). I couldn't help but think of The Blair Witch Project when playing Alan Wake, especially that episode (can't remember which one) where you come across the campsite.
      Last edited by Andrew84UK; 05-16-2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

Keep them coming.
        "For he did not know that beyond the lake he called home lies a deeper, darker ocean green, where waves are both wilder and more serene. To its ports I've been. To its ports I've been."

Comment

Don't we already have a thread like this?

Anyway,
          Definitely Happy Town. It's a pretty new show (only three episodes so far) on ABC. A nice Stephen King, Twin Peaks mixture. Should be right up your alley.
          Last edited by One Eyed Jack; 05-18-2010, 11:42 AM.
          Open up the broken cup
          Let goodly sin and sunshine in

Comment

Actually Alan Wake reminded me a lot of The Mothman Prophecies. It gets so-so reviews, but I think if you enjoyed Alan wake, you'll definitely enjoy this.

Definitely want to see In The Mouth Of Madness again, but they hardly ever show it on tv.

In addition to what's been suggested:

Film:
            Blue Velvet
            Lost Highway
            The Ninth Gate (not the best film in the world, but I like it -- it's about a rare-book dealer, played by Johnny Depp, trying track down copies of a book supposedly written by the devil)

TV:
            Supernatural
            American Gothic - cult tv series produced by Sam Rami, about a small town in South, run by a corrupt Sherrif (Gary Cole) who appears to have demonic abilities of some sort
            Twilight Zone and Outer Limits are obvious choices too

Comment

Definitely watch Insomnia, which was directed by Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Dark Knight). The setting and atmosphere is quite similar to AW, and the same can be said of the themes. It's also a plus, that Al Pacino and Robin Williams play the leads.
              "In this hall of mirrors, built by liars, I am a pale reflection of myself." - Pool

Comment

Any film by David Lynch, especially Mulholland Drive.
                "Blah Blah Blah Mr. Freeman"

Comment

Originally posted by Toshi View Post
                  Any film by David Lynch, especially Mulholland Drive.
                  Amen, to Mr. Lynch. Though, Twin Peaks should be the very first thing you turn to if you're in an Alan Wake kind of mood, being that it's the main inspiration for the game. Not to mention, it's just a damn fine show all around.
                  Last edited by CineMage; 06-05-2010, 04:31 AM.
                  "In this hall of mirrors, built by liars, I am a pale reflection of myself." - Pool

Comment

Working...
                  X