Silent Hill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Silent Hill

Oh yes, I was gonna see it again in the Cinema, but I was too late. Now I'm looking forward to buying it.
    "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

I woulda watched it more than twice but I had to go on a silly vacation like a week after it was released

Oh, well. Next week!

Comment

I thought that it was really good, even as a fan of the games. It's easily the best game to movie conversion. It comes out early next month on DVD and I can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Superbus Von Underduck View Post
          I thought that it was really good, even as a fan of the games. It's easily the best game to movie conversion. It comes out early next month on DVD and I can't wait.
          Yeah, I'm a fan of the series too. I've seen too many bad attempts in the past, like with the Resident Evil movies, but this one was really awesome. It's on top of my list of movies to get when it hit the stores.
          "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Gawd, yeah, I know what you mean. Resident Evil was completely savaged with regard to storyline, it could have been so much more; I had high expectations for the first movie, alas. As a result I held rather reserved hopes for Silent Hill but was just pleased to hear that Uwe Boll didn't get the job.

Comment

Yeah. Silent Hill was definitively a pleasant surprise, especially with me sitting there almost expecting it to be somewhat shit, like the Resident Evil movies turned out to be.

Comment

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

I thought the film was nothing more than ok to be honest. I'm a big fan of the games, and it just didn't get the Silent Hill feel for me.

First off, too much running around in the fog looking for her daughter. This kinda of works in the games, because playing these sections are scarier than watching them. Watching them was just boring in my opinion, didn't like that at all.

The film just didn't seem to hit the same notes in regards to fear as the games. It felt like a more traditional horror film but set in the Silent Hill world, rather than the whole psychological torment you get in the games. There wasn't enough isolation. The main character was rarely alone, and there were far too many people with the whole church thing. What I liked about the Silent Hill games is that every single character in the town seemed to be there for a specific purpose. There were no random people trying to survive, each character was a weirdo in their own right, and each had their own twisted story. With so many characters in the church it lost that feeling. Similarly, I didn't like it showing us the outside world. It made it impossible for us as the viewer to feel trapped in the town when we could see the scenes with her husband every so often.

I also didn't like the "tough guy" mentality the characters had going on. In a situation like that, the characters shouldn't keep their cool, and they shouldn't be acting tough, it should have shown that they were scared to tears. On a related note, I didn't like the casting of a female character for the main character. It almost came across as being a little "girl power" to me. They went as far as damn near copying the SH1 storyline, but replacing the main character with a female. For me, it would've been far scarier to put a man in that situation, and watch him mentally break him down, as men are seen to be tougher and all that. Sounds a little sexist, but I think it's a valid point.

Upside to the film was the dark world, and the monsters. It was done really well in my opinion, but there wasn't enough of it. The dark world parts were by far the highlight, just because they got my blood pumping as people who've played the game know that the siren means "the shit has hit the fan" so to speak.

Oh, and Pyramid Head was by far the best part of the film. Definitely not enough of him, but what we saw of him was incredibly terrifying. He's always been praised as being one of the most terrifying video game characters ever created, and I think the film managed to live up to that. The scene where he just tears the woman up with his bear hands gave me a huge grin
                I was very much expecting him to kill everyone in the church though at the end. I presumed that alessa would "summon" him if you will, and he'd burst through the church doors and tear everyone to shreds. Everyone I've spoken to said that would have been far better than the barbed wire thing.
                It would make sense too as taken from Wikipedia "In the film, he appears to represent the child Alessa's desire to visit vengeance upon the inhabitants of Silent Hill" and I can agree with that. Similarly, Pyramid Head is also said to represent the executioner in Silent Hill. So yeah, what I'm saying is that not only would my ending have been far cooler, it would have made more sense

The film wasn't terrible or anything, it just didn't live up to the games. Worth a watch though, and is definitely better than the tidal wave of shitty horror films that have been plaguing cinema's recently.
                Last edited by -JLN-; 09-04-2006, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Just watched it.Pretty good,makers managed capture game's original atmosphere quite well.Also visuals impressed me.
                  Good horror film overall.Better than, movie version of Resident Evil.
                  Bright Falls: There must be some kind of way out of here.

Comment

Working...
                  X