Favorite Book?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Book?

Anybody want to share their favorite novels/series? So far, my favorites have got to be..

1. Fight Club, Survivor, and Choke by Chuck Palahniuk, one of the greatest minimalists of all time. I believe these books are his greatest works. In each novel, you'll find plenty of original and loveable characters, groundbreaking philosophy and symbolism, and a amazing story.

2. Richard Matheson has many good books and short stories, but I am Legend is his masterpiece. The 200(7?) movie remake with Will Smith would have been so good if they had just kept the original ending!

3. 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell. Isn't it terrifying how the visions in the books are repeated today?

EDIT:

I also forgot to add A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is an amazing book too.
    Last edited by Taken634; 03-20-2011, 05:07 PM.
    Do a looney-gooney dance, cross the kitchen floor, put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.

Re: Favorite Book?

Der Antichrist by Friedrich Nietzsche.

No one can tear down an institution the way Nietzsche does; brick by brick.
    "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

Comment

Okay... for me... there's lots of good books that I read now... so... i'd be tossing around Pygmy - Chuck Phalaniuk, Feet of Clay - Terry Pratchet, Rules of Attraction - Bret Easton Elis, From Hell - Alan Moore, Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Philip K. **** - Ubik, Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut, etc.

However. NOSTALGIA WINS.

So.... The Little Dragon Nips Out - Ann Jungman

Probably that book started me on my addiction with reading so I'll let that one win.

However I will say that re-reading Alice in Wonderland (both books) all these years later and it still holding up well is pretty impressive.
      Last edited by yogibbear; 03-19-2011, 07:53 PM.
      Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
        Okay... for me... there's lots of good books that I read now... so... i'd be tossing around Pygmy - Chuck Phalaniuk, Feet of Clay - Terry Pratchet, Rules of Attraction - Bret Easton Elis, From Hell - Alan Moore, Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Philip K. **** - Ubik, Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut, etc.

However. NOSTALGIA WINS.

So.... The Little Dragon Nips Out - Ann Jungman

Probably that book started me on my addiction with reading so I'll let that one win.

However I will say that re-reading Alice in Wonderland (both books) all these years later and it still holding up well is pretty impressive.
        I applaud your booklist my friend. I have yet to read Shadow of the Wind, how is it? Pygmy is also a fun little book, and I love the main character as I do with all of Palahniuk's protagonists. Vonnegut has to be one of my favorites as well.
        Last edited by Taken634; 03-20-2011, 12:32 AM.
        Do a looney-gooney dance, cross the kitchen floor, put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.

Comment

Children of Hurin by JRR Tolkien. I'm a sucker for dramatic tragedies, unavoidable fates, and righteous sacrifices, I suppose.
          <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

Moved to "Media Discussion".

And my favorite isn't one single book, but instead an entire series; The Sword of Truth series.
            "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Chapter 1 - 'No Dragons'

The Little Dragon sighed deeply and stared out to sea.
              "What's up, old boy?" asked Sir George.
              "You wouldn't understand," moaned the Little Dragon and he sighed deeply again.
              "Could I help then?" asked the Princess. "I don't like to see you so miserable."
              "I'm not miserable," snapped the Dragon. "I'm bored and no, you can't help."
              "You don't have to be so rude," complained the Princess. "We only asked in case there was something we could do."
              "No, there's absolutely nothing you can do," the Dragon told them. "You see, you are the problem."
              "Us!" shouted the Princess and Sir George together.
              "Yes, you," continued the Dragon.
              "It's a bit much, old boy," complained Sir George. "I've given up trying to kill you in the story. What more do you want?"
              "Yes, what exactly do you want?" demanded the Princess.
              "I want fewer people and more dragons in this book," declared the Little Dragon. "I mean, just think about it. You two have got lots of people to talk to. You can talk to all the other people in the story - the courtiers and the crowds and the fishermen. But I am the only dragon in this book, and I am lonely..."
              "We talk to you," protested the Princess.
              "It's not the same," moaned the Dragon. "You two wouldn't want to be stranded in a book full of dragons. Even then, there are still two of you."
              "Well, what are you going to do about it?" asked the Princess.
              "I am going to nip out," announced the Dragon.
              "Whatever do you mean 'nip out', old chap?" demanded Sir George.

.... and on and on the adventure goes. Greatest childhood book ever. 78 pages. Size 30 font. Some nice little pictures (which i have coloured in [or out depending on how crap my drawings skills were when i was 7]).

Comment

Invisible Monsters and Survivor- Chuck Palahniuk Less than Zero and Glamorama by bret Ellis Dark Tower series by Stephen King
                A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess The Wasteland- TS Elliot
                And lots of others.

Comment

Originally posted by kleiner352 View Post
                  Invisible Monsters and Survivor- Chuck Palahniuk Less than Zero and Glamorama by bret Ellis Dark Tower series by Stephen King
                  A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess The Wasteland- TS Elliot
                  And lots of others.
                  All very awesome books.

Comment

Favourite book? Honestly, I'm not sure.

Obviously I adore the Lord Peter Wimsey / Harriet Vane mysteries, as well as Sherlock Holmes' short stories. Shadow of the Wind was great, as yogi mentioned; and I also like the short stores and plays by Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allan Poe, as well as Shakespeare...

However, I think would say Hamlet and Wuthering Heights - I guess I can identify with tormented, heart broken, anti-heroes. Wuthering Heights is particularly good, because there's a mystery (and to a lesser extent supernatural) element to it as well.
                    Last edited by Maddieman; 03-20-2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Well, a lot of you have already listed some favourites of mine

I don't really have one overall favourite, more like a selection of favourite books that really made an impression on me. So in no order of preference, some favourites off the top of my head: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K.****; American Gods by Neil Gaiman; The Summer Book by Tove Jansson; Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman... argh, there are too many. I probably should decide on an ultimate favourite, if only because it would make answering this question 'IRL' a lot easier. Same with films and music. I think i'm too indecisive, probably
                      Last edited by kokosoko; 03-20-2011, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Why is **** censored? Seems a bit harsh on the man!

Comment

Originally posted by Kahr View Post
                          Moved to "Media Discussion".

And my favorite isn't one single book, but instead an entire series; The Sword of Truth series.
                          You've got to love The Sword of Truth. It's one of my two favorite series, along with The Wheel of Time. I'd have to place them equally imo.
                          I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Comment

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
                            Why is **** censored? Seems a bit harsh on the man!
                            I believe we've eased up on Mr. Dick's name now. =)

Edit: Yes!
                            Last edited by MikkiRMD; 03-21-2011, 10:10 PM. Reason: Tee hee! I said "dick"!
                            Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Now we can all announce our love for the great Dick Van Dyke without the oppression of censorship. Yessss.

Two other favourites of mine are Orwell's 1984, and Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet.
                              <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

Working...
                              X