X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taken634
    started a topic Favorite Book?

Favorite Book?

Anybody want to share their favorite novels/series? So far, my favorites have got to be..

1. Fight Club, Survivor, and Choke by Chuck Palahniuk, one of the greatest minimalists of all time. I believe these books are his greatest works. In each novel, you'll find plenty of original and loveable characters, groundbreaking philosophy and symbolism, and a amazing story.

2. Richard Matheson has many good books and short stories, but I am Legend is his masterpiece. The 200(7?) movie remake with Will Smith would have been so good if they had just kept the original ending!

3. 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell. Isn't it terrifying how the visions in the books are repeated today?

EDIT:

I also forgot to add A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is an amazing book too.
    Last edited by Taken634; 03-20-2011, 05:07 PM.

• DouglasFWarrick
    replied
    Re: Favorite Book?

Originally posted by Olek View Post
    Shift your gaze to my avatar.

10 points to anyone who can guess it even with the cut off text.
    That, my friend, would be the uncut version of The Stand, thankya very much!

I adore King. I just read 11/22/63, and thought it was phenomenal. Best thing he's written in a long time.

As far as favorite books go? Everyone owes it to themselves to read The Night Country by Stewart O'Nan. And nobody writes creepier short stories than Thomas Ligotti. In particular, I urge you to seek out "The Red Tower."

Leave a comment:

• Olek
    replied

Shift your gaze to my avatar.

10 points to anyone who can guess it even with the cut off text.
    Last edited by Olek; 02-05-2012, 06:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Zechs
    replied

3X Carlin: An Orgy of George.

I like the comedians work so I ended up enjoying his written work as well.

Leave a comment:

• MestV
    replied

My favorite read would be The Neverending Story by Michael Ende, second being Insomnia by Stephen King.

Other then that I'm a huge Nietzsche reader, like JackGordon here, I've read Antichrist, Twilight of the Idols, Human all too Human, Ecco Homo and Thus Spole Zarathusa.

Third, back to fiction again, I always loved the Horrowitz stories and some of Clive Barkers work. And then something very different again, I've read as good as all Sherlock Holmes books from A. Conan Doyle

And then the old Batman comics ^^

Leave a comment:

• MrSelf-Destruct
    replied

Fight Club will ever be my favourite Book, I cant say how many times i read it since i buyed it. Tyler just changed the way i see my life.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Grays
    replied

Short stories of soviet writer Daniil Harms (kharms?)
    At least they made a collection of them in finnish under name Sattumia
    (Happenings, roughly translated)
    Wonder if they ever published them in english.

Leave a comment:

• Not The Writer
    replied

@Kahr: Whoa, I didn't read previous posts before I posted mine! Looks like I should have. I didn't realize other people read these books! Best series I've ever read.

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Part of the "The Sword of Truth" series.

Leave a comment:

• Kitt
    replied

Now we can all announce our love for the great Dick Van Dyke without the oppression of censorship. Yessss.

Two other favourites of mine are Orwell's 1984, and Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet.

Leave a comment:

• MikkiRMD
    replied

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
    Why is **** censored? Seems a bit harsh on the man!
    I believe we've eased up on Mr. Dick's name now. =)

Edit: Yes!
    Last edited by MikkiRMD; 03-21-2011, 10:10 PM. Reason: Tee hee! I said "dick"!

Leave a comment:

• Master_Moridin
    replied

Originally posted by Kahr View Post
    Moved to "Media Discussion".

And my favorite isn't one single book, but instead an entire series; The Sword of Truth series.
    You've got to love The Sword of Truth. It's one of my two favorite series, along with The Wheel of Time. I'd have to place them equally imo.

Leave a comment:

• yogibbear
    replied

Why is **** censored? Seems a bit harsh on the man!

Leave a comment:

• kokosoko
    replied

Well, a lot of you have already listed some favourites of mine

I don't really have one overall favourite, more like a selection of favourite books that really made an impression on me. So in no order of preference, some favourites off the top of my head: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K.****; American Gods by Neil Gaiman; The Summer Book by Tove Jansson; Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman... argh, there are too many. I probably should decide on an ultimate favourite, if only because it would make answering this question 'IRL' a lot easier. Same with films and music. I think i'm too indecisive, probably
    Last edited by kokosoko; 03-20-2011, 11:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Maddieman
    replied

Favourite book? Honestly, I'm not sure.

Obviously I adore the Lord Peter Wimsey / Harriet Vane mysteries, as well as Sherlock Holmes' short stories. Shadow of the Wind was great, as yogi mentioned; and I also like the short stores and plays by Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allan Poe, as well as Shakespeare...

However, I think would say Hamlet and Wuthering Heights - I guess I can identify with tormented, heart broken, anti-heroes. Wuthering Heights is particularly good, because there's a mystery (and to a lesser extent supernatural) element to it as well.
    Last edited by Maddieman; 03-20-2011, 09:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• yogibbear
    replied

Originally posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Invisible Monsters and Survivor- Chuck Palahniuk Less than Zero and Glamorama by bret Ellis Dark Tower series by Stephen King
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess The Wasteland- TS Elliot
    And lots of others.
    All very awesome books.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X