Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What book did you last read / are currently reading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What book did you last read?

Hmm.. Famous Five by Enid Blyton lol. I'm hankering for a book by Sam Lake man, i'd snatch that up immediately. In the mean time Tom, Julian, **** Ann and Timmy the dog will have to do for now.
    The real thing is never what you think it will be - Sami Jarvi (Sam Lake)

Comment

A swedish book called: Arvet efter Arn or translated: The inheritance of Arn, or something like that.

It's about a Knight called Birger Jarl who tries to defend Sweden. It doesn't sound that good, but it is very interesting.
      "All a soldier needs is his rifle, his ammunition and his tea"
      Winston Churchill

Comment

Just gone through a collection of short stories by Philip K. Dick.

Comment

Just finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

I went on a Chapters buying splurge, recently getting Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, Phantom by Terry Goodkind, Schismatrix Plus, by Bruce Sterling, Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, and The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
          Mirrors are more fun than Television

Comment

I re-read the whole XIII series today (I was stuck at home...). It doesn't get old, and I have to admit I had forgotten most of the story.

I'm currently reading "the Art of Interactive Design - A Euphonious and Illuminating Guide to Building Successful Software" by Chris Crawford. I don't like that much how the guy writes, but he has the knowledge and ideas to balance that, I guess.

Comment

My package from Amazon finally arrived the other day and inside was A Theory of Fun for game design and Rules of Play!

I've already devoured 'A Theory of Fun' (not because it's short, but very compelling), and I definitely recommend it to those interested in game development (plus anyone else who wants to know about the relationship between games, entertainment, learning and fun).

It convincingly explains why the key element to 'fun' is, in fact, learning, and why games can quickly switch from being fun to boring, once you master them. Of course, there's more to it than that; but I found the last few chapters on where games stand alongside other forms of media and art, and where they should go, particularly inspiring. Definitely a book I'm going to be returning to.

Comment

The last book i read was Doom: Knee-Deep in the Dead. Yea, it's the first book in the quadrilogy based on the game Doom. Not great, but ok. I'm currently reading through the second book, Doom: Hell on Earth. The first two books in the series are based right off the game, and the last two have very little to do with the games.
                http://photobucket.com/albums/b178/D...monakedhos.gif
                http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/2/megafat.png
                don't click this link...

Comment

I finished 'The Hows and Whys or Level Design' and started 'Game Level Design' by Ed Byrne. The former's writing style was aweful (self-published book), but there were some interesting points about composition, colors, etc. that I hadn't ever read about in other books. The latter is great so far, a bit too classical but very clear and well written.

Comment

Just finished reading the X-men comic "God Loves, Man Kills", the inspiration for X-men 2. I would rate it up there as one of the great storylines in the X-men comics, as it explores the main theme of mutants being accepted in society. I also love reading all the stories where Magneto is portrayed as a meaningful character, rather than just another villain.
                    If only the filmmakers would explore some of the other good storylines that could be made in to movies or TV. I was disappointed in the Xmen 3 storyline for being too cluttered and trying to include too many major storylines in the one film. By concentrating on one major storyline, such as Proteus, The Brood, Phoenix etc, things could work out so much better.
                    Remedy's currently known projects:
                    Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Re: What book did you last read / are currently reading?

Been reading alot this summer, but just finished Solaris by Stanislaw Lem last week.

Just bought 'The Catcher in the Rye' by J.D. Salinger and 'The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch' by Philip K. Dick to read while traveling to Canada tomorrow.

Comment

I just finished reading Death by Hollywood, by Steven Bochco (the co-creator of Hill Street Blues, L.A. Law and NYPD Blue). Fantastic read - can't recommend it enough (if you've seen The Player, with Tim Robbins, you'll definitely enjoy it).

Comment

Just Finished a Book called Curahee, by one of the survivors of the American Paratroopers. Donald Burgett, Forward by General Sir Richard Gale.

Even though it was a retelling of his own personal story, he wrote it very well, almost like it was a work of fiction, thats how well it was written, and so many of the things he talks about were scary sounding, most of the WW2 books I read really don't get into the details. "I shot a guy, in the head, then threw a grenade" No, this guy gets into it, he talks about how some soldiers got hit so hard by a bullet or a grenade that their eyes litteraly poped out of their sockets, he saw two german soldiers with most of their skin/body's blown off, still alive.

It was hecktick, and you really feel it with this guy.
                          "I dunno what's worse, rabid fanboy's or rabid anti-fanboy's, or in Zolleks avatar's case, rabid anti-dentites."-Raveness

Comment

Currently reading Before the Fallout - an excellent book about the atomic bomb, going from the discovery of radioactivity up to the drop at Hiroshima.

Also reading Bram Stoker's Dracula.
                            Remedy's currently known projects:
                            Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

I'm currently reading..."The Otori's Legend" trilogy.

Comment

Funny you should mention Curahee, Zolleks, because I just started reading Band of Brothers.

Comment

Working...
                                X