Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What book did you last read / are currently reading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What book did you last read / are currently reading?

The last book I read was Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. This could very well be the most engaging story with the most ridiculous premise that I have ever read. The tagline might read: Everyone goes blind in a world ravaged by man-eating plants! Of course, as is often the case with end of the world stories, the actual end of the world serves only as a setting for how the remaining characters will now interact. How will they live? What will they use for food? Will they develop into a new type of society? Wyndam's end of the world tool works better than most. Having helpless masses of blind people around raises some pretty serious ethical questions that can be related to many real problems in the here and now. And the triffids, they make the task of reinventing the world just a little bit harder at first, getting much harder with their proliferation towards the end.

After reading it, I found it to be less about man-eating plants taking over the world than it is about the possible fall of civilization, and less science fiction than it is social commentary.

For the most part, it is a well-written, compelling story. The myriad of characters are varied and realistic, as you read you see how people from all walks of life (those of different class, beliefs systems, etc…) deal with the disaster. The landscape, both city and country, sights and sounds, are very well described and I could imagine everything quite vividly.

There was a few negatives for me. For one, the romantic sub-plot. Like a lot of romance plots in sci-fi, it is a little rushed and unlikely, to an almost “last man and woman on Earth must copulate” level. The girl in question is Josella Playton, a pretty, effervescent socialite. In "Day of the Triffids", they are intense and desperate times and these might have intensified emotion, but considering a great deal of the book involves Bill looking for his girl, it would have been nice if this romantic side was a bit more believable. I would have also liked to have known more about the triffids. I suppose the mystery behind them adds to the fright element. There are a few tantalizing clues about how they behave and what they want, and what their weaknesses are, but they are never quite followed through. These are only minor points though. It was still a very good story and an intriguing, exciting and frightening concept.

If you live in London, this book would be especially easy to visualize in your imagination. It vividly details places like Piccadilly and Russell Square, where you can imagine triffids swaying in the wind, waiting for the beat of a human heart
    Mirrors are more fun than Television

Comment

Am I the only one reading here

I recently read Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End.

It's a science fiction tale, set in the near future. Its setting is primarily in the area of San Diego. People wear internet-wired clothing and contact lenses, allowing them to SMS with their thoughts and see messages in front of their eyes...and to also see programmed overlays on reality. Cameras are everywhere, so privacy is hard to come by, for the most part, out in public. The Internet is woven into people's lives, and a good part of how people think and live is based upon information analysis services that they can provide, or use.

Despite these changes in the fabric of society, people still think and function "normally", which is a sign of good characterization on the part of the author. However, for governments, the information free-for-all means they are running a pitched battle against folks getting their hands on WMD...which they do in part based upon advanced information analysis services. One has the sense that the War on Terror is in full swing...and that it's a matter of time before something slips.

Into this environment awakens a world-renowned poet, asleep for many years with Alzheimer's. He has to make piece with the changes in the world, in his family (he's been out of it for a long time), and in himself. And, in the middle of all this, he finds himself drawn into a conspiracy which could affect world politics (though he doesn't know it)...pulled in with the promise of the return of something he treasures greatly, and has lost.

Though perhaps not as awe-inspiring as A Fire Upon The Deep, Vinge has created a glimpse of a world not far from where we are today...and it leaves us thinking a lot of questions about which way our society is heading. The characters all come across as believable, and the plot is self-consistent and realistic. So, for me, I found it enjoyable, and read it cover-to-cover in one go, on my flight back from Seoul to Vancouver.

Comment

I recently finished up reading The Seven Suns series (up to book six anyway) and started on the Dune novels (again)... I'm going to be reading from Dune right through to Sandworms, so it'll be some time before I update here with a new book.
        Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.

Comment

Just currently finished reading a book called Mystery Method by Mystery, essentially a guide book to picking up women, going into quite deep psychology about the subject.

Interesting to say the least. Not normally my kind of thing, I got it just because a friend was so incredibly enthusiastic about it. Great for people who're actually having trouble picking up women, or just for people who're interested in social dynamics in general. I think it's fair to say that the book has "opened my eyes" if you will.

Worth noting btw, that it's not a book full of Derren Brown style psychological trickery and lies to get women into bed.

I'm also half way through another book on the same subject called The Game by Neil Strauss. This one is more of an auto biography about how the writer - Neil Strauss - who started off a fairly unattractive guy who never got women, found this community of pickup artists accidentally, and how it totally changed, and somewhat consumed his life as he becomes close friends with the best (including the guy who wrote the previous book), and eventually becomes the best himself.

It's an incredibly interesting (and somewhat inspiring) story, and a bizarre look into the pick up community.

Comment

Raveness, no, you're not the only reader here. I noticed earlier in the thread (a while back) that you bought The Historian. How did you like it? I love vampire books and found this one intriguing in how suspenseful it was despite not being overly gory.

I got a few B&N gift cards for Christmas and splurged on a bunch of books. Right now I'm reading Libba Bray's A Sweet, Far Thing (along with my daughter) and also Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth. And Steve Martin's Born Standing Up.

After those, it'll probably be any number of vampire books waiting for me, with a classic or two thrown in for good measure (probably Pride and Prejudice first).

Comment

Originally posted by -JLN- View Post
              I'm also half way through another book on the same subject called The Game by Neil Strauss. This one is more of an auto biography about how the writer - Neil Strauss - who started off a fairly unattractive guy who never got women, found this community of pickup artists accidentally, and how it totally changed, and somewhat consumed his life as he becomes close friends with the best (including the guy who wrote the previous book), and eventually becomes the best himself.

It's an incredibly interesting (and somewhat inspiring) story, and a bizarre look into the pick up community.
              I have The Game myself and I must say it's an awesome read. I would recommend it to every guy out there.
              Remedy's currently known projects:
              Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

I last read the last book in the Sword of Truth series, Confessor. It was a happy ending, much like I expected (like most stories have), but it was still a somewhat unexpected ending. It was a good ending to a fantastic story. The Sword of Truth series will probably be my favorite for a long time. The last few books before the final one seemed to be kind of dragged out, as if the author had a contract to write so or so many books. But, it was a good read. I read it out in under 24 hours, so I guess you can pretty much say that that book had my full attention until I was done reading.
                "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Currently reading Catch 22.

Comment

I have The Game myself and I must say it's an awesome read. I would recommend it to every guy out there.
                    Definitely agree on that. As long as you're not too easily offended, or scared of sex talk, it's a definitely one for any man to read at some point.

Comment

I finished reading Band of Brothers a week ago -- remarkable book. Whether you liked the tv show or not, I definitely recommend it. Lots of incredible accounts - both inspiring and tragic.

I'm now about 2/3rds the way through The Colour of Magic. I read it about 10 years ago, and I'm pleased to say that it's just as good, if not better the second time around.

Comment

Ah, The Colour of Magic is on my short list, sitting on my shelf waiting to be next. Someone recommended it as a good intro to Pratchett. Do you agree, Maddieman?

Comment

Originally posted by Kahr View Post
                          I last read the last book in the Sword of Truth series, Confessor. It was a happy ending, much like I expected (like most stories have), but it was still a somewhat unexpected ending. It was a good ending to a fantastic story. The Sword of Truth series will probably be my favorite for a long time. The last few books before the final one seemed to be kind of dragged out, as if the author had a contract to write so or so many books. But, it was a good read. I read it out in under 24 hours, so I guess you can pretty much say that that book had my full attention until I was done reading.
                          I finally buckled down and started with Phantom. The first couple hundred pages are an excellent, intense setup, really laying things on the line, making the situation feel terribly desperate. I put the book down last night after the three of them entered the Sliph. I hope the payoff is equally matched to the buildup

Comment

Hehe, yeah, it's getting better and better. The last book was excellent, a good finnish to the series. At least that is my opinion.
                            "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Originally posted by Austruck View Post
                              Ah, The Colour of Magic is on my short list, sitting on my shelf waiting to be next. Someone recommended it as a good intro to Pratchett. Do you agree, Maddieman?
                              Well I've only read a handful of the Discworld novels (and there's nearly 40 of them ), but yes, I'd say that it's probably the ideal place to start (being the first one) - especially if you already have it. It's enjoyable and easy to read (in a good way) -- you probably won't take long to finish it. Guards! Guards! is great too.

Comment

Thanks. Will move it back to the top of my to-be-read pile.

Comment

Working...
                                X