Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What book did you last read / are currently reading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What book did you last read / are currently reading?

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
    Funny you should mention Curahee, Zolleks, because I just started reading Band of Brothers.
    Hey, who wrote that book, becuase I've been meaning to look for it for some time now, but I keep seeing many many many different books with that title, its so over used now, so I have no idea who originaly did it.

Anyways, I'm still working on Hitchikers guide to the galaxy, its as big as a bible it is, and I've been working on it for years now.
    "I dunno what's worse, rabid fanboy's or rabid anti-fanboy's, or in Zolleks avatar's case, rabid anti-dentites."-Raveness

Comment

I'm kind of stuck with nothing to read right now...

I've got plenty of books, but I don't really fancy reading any of them right now.

Hey, who wrote that book, becuase I've been meaning to look for it for some time now, but I keep seeing many many many different books with that title, its so over used now, so I have no idea who originaly did it.
      It's written by Stephen E. Ambrose.

Amazon link: Band of Brothers

Anyways, I'm still working on Hitchikers guide to the galaxy, its as big as a bible it is, and I've been working on it for years now.
      Is that a compliation of all 5 hitchhiker's guide books? The original isn't that big...

Comment

Great thanks, and yes I probably should have stated that, it is all 5 books packed into one big book, very big book, not that I'm complaining or anything.
        "I dunno what's worse, rabid fanboy's or rabid anti-fanboy's, or in Zolleks avatar's case, rabid anti-dentites."-Raveness

Comment

So I started reading The Shining a few nights ago. I've seen the film several times (plus the tv movie), but it's good to read the original -- you get a better insight to the characters (especially Danny).

IMO Stephen King has quite a knack for creating very real and believable characters (despite the circumstances) -- possibly that's why I find his books difficult to read at times.

Comment

I think King's ability to create deep characters we can empathize with is what makes his movies translate so BADLY to the movie screen. There is often so much going on in a character's head in print that is just impossible to get onto the screen, IMHO. (I say this mostly about his horror stories. Other types of stories have translated well to screen, such as Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, etc.)

Comment

I'm currently reading The Prince by Machiavelli and Walden by Thoreau.

The Prince is not only an account of how an aspiring prince can acquire the throne or how an existing prince should reign. It is, at the same time, a brief history lesson about pre-16th century Italy.

Walden is a book about how Thoreau isolate himself from society, in order to gain a more objective understanding of it. So it is about a lot of the aspects of modern society, where he is questioning our motives and way of doing things. Thoreau's isolation should not be view as if he lived all alone - hermit-style, but more in the sense that he didn't participate in society in the normal way. Though this book was written around 1850, so its not full of super relevant examples, but still has a lot to offer.
              Last edited by guaps; 03-13-2008, 12:31 AM.

Comment

A book I'd recommend is 'Orion' by Ben Bova. Though the reviews on Amazon aren't great for it, I truly think this is a great read and a great story.
                ~+Impure Thoughts, Unethical Movements, A Shifting of the Soul into the Deeper Darker Secrets+~

Comment

I just finished me some Bleach, aaaand I started a series called Eden It's an Endless World. Bleach was pretty good, even bought myself a T-Shirt that I thought was pretty decent. Click

Eden is my usual dose of dystopian, post-apocalyptic goodness. Really enjoyable, and a lot more adult than Bleach. It also deals with a lot of moral issues and has a nice philosophy behind it. If you like Manga, I'd recommend both. :nods
                  If only *you* could see what *I've* seen with your eyes. ;)

Comment

I just ordered another panoply of novels, mostly scifi, that should last me a couple months or so:

Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson, Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons, Street Empathy by Ryan Span, A Feast for Crows by George RR Martin, Foundation by Isaac Asimov, Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin, and The Man who was Thursday by GK Chesterton.

Problem is, when they arrive, I have no idea which to read first Likely not Man who was Thursday since Iím listening to an audiovox of it, and not Foundation since Iíve read that before, albeit over ten years ago.

Now I'm thinking of Gothmogís Electric Church. From the synopsis it sounds enticing for any cyber-age aficionado:
                    In the near future, the only thing growing faster than the criminal population is the Electric Church, a new religion founded by a mysterious man named Dennis Squalor. The Church preaches that life is too brief to contemplate the mysteries of the universe: eternity is required. In order to achieve this, the converted become Monks -- cyborgs with human brains, enhanced robotic bodies, and virtually unlimited life spans. Enter Avery Cates, a dangerous criminal known as the best killer-for-hire around. The authorities have a special mission in mind for Cates: assassinate Dennis Squalor. But for Cates, the assignment will be the most dangerous job he's ever undertaken -- and it may well be his last.
                    Mirrors are more fun than Television

Comment

After not reading anything for months after finishing Mystery Method and The Game, I suddenly got the urge a couple of weeks back to overload myself with information.

I thought that since those books had dealt with the psychology of women, dating and seduction, I might aswell start on some broader psychology topics.

So first off, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Definitive-B...1320766&sr=8-1 there's the Definitive Book of Body Language

I'd recommend it to anyone interested in psychology, body language or anyone who just wishes they could understand people better. Very well written, with tons of illustrations, easy to understand descriptions of every minor action with a distinct lack of difficult terminology, and a little humour thrown in for good measure. The most interesting side of it ofcourse is when you start seeing everything you've learned in your every day life. Things you've never paid attention to before you'll pick up on, and know what it means.

Then I started on http://www.amazon.co.uk/Persuasion-I...1321857&sr=1-1 Persuasion

Most of the way through this one, not as dangerous as the title suggests, it's no Derren Brown stuff. It covers a lot of body language issues, common sense issues and verbal issues that can make you come accross as insincere, stupid, or otherwise make you less persuasive. Most of the information is more suited towards those who work in a business environment, though it's still interesting regardless.

And I'm just starting http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introducing-...1322106&sr=1-1 Introducing Neruo Linguistic Programming

This is the kind of stuff relating to certain ideas people like Derren Brown use on a frequent basis. A lot of ideas behind influencing peoples thoughts and feelings very indirectly through psychological techniques. Incredibly interesting, though the power behind some of the techniques is quite worrying haha

I've also been reading through a bunch of magic books, especially psychological magic. Very clever card tricks, "cold reading" trickery, speeding up watches, and some purely mind over matter "make someone fall over by touching their temples" or "lock someones hands together" style tricks.

My brain feels like it's going to explode since I've got through most of the stuff within the space of a couple of weeks, but damn it's interesting haha

Comment

Have you had any luck putting the NLP stuff into practise? I'd love to know if it actually works.

That body language one looks really interesting. As a possible followup, I'd recommend this book on facial expressions -- it's from an artist's perspective, so the majority of the book focuses on rendering physical facial expressions, not interpreting them. Having said that, it cuts through a lot of BS, and gives you very detailed and specific info on facial anataomy and how the muscles work. From that you can learn how to read the 6 universal facial expressions (joy, sadness, anger, fear, surprise, disgust), their variations, and other physical expressions (e.g. tiredness, pain, etc). In between the technical information, it contains a lot of historical, cultural, biological, and psychological anecdotes, including why some expressions like the Mona Lisa have become iconic (not bad going for someone without eyebrows), and why genuine smiles are more powerful than false ones. Facinating stuff, even if you can't draw for shit, like me.

If you want to go deeper, Paul Ekman is pretty much the world expert on the pyschology of facial expressions. It's quite scary to think that even though you're trying to 'put on' a face, your facial muscles will undoubtably betray you.

If you're interested in applied psychology you should try the age-old classic 'how to win friends and influnce people' - the original self development book. It's very much from its time (1938), but the advice is sound... well, it's got me out of a few pr jams in the past. Also, you might want to look up an introduction to social identity theory someday as well.

By the way, have you considered actually checking out Derren Brown's own book? I've not read it, but I heard it's quite a good introduction to his work. It's got mixed reviews, presumably because it's not a "how-to" manual.

Anyway, I've just finished reading 'winning at poker' - a great introduction to low-limit Poker. Covers the basics well, and moves on to the advanced stuff without losing you too much in terminology, betting statistics, and probability . I'm thinking of checking out 'Caro's Book of Tells' next; which is again body language, in the context of Poker.

Comment

I'm actually heading down to Adelaide next week for a conference and will be attending a talk by Jonar Nadar, the guy who wrote "How to lose friends and infuriate people". I'll see if I can get a copy of the book autographed or something haha.
                          Remedy's currently known projects:
                          Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Just finished reading the novels Dolores and Thinner by Stephen King. Realy great novels.
                            Can anybody advise me a good mystery-novel??

Comment

I'm gonna pick up those books on facial expression for definite once I'm done with my NLP book.

I should probably pick up those books on poker too considering I lost £15 the other day at work haha

Comment

Bulgakov's "Master and Margarita"
                                the shadows rushed me, bruised mug-shot faces hungry for revenge. They knew my weak spots and closed in for the kill. Just a dream.

Comment

Working...
                                X