This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first, removed youtube-comment

I just got my first youtube comment removal ever, caused by negative votes.
    It involved Qentin Tarantinos Django Unchained Soundtrack (Payback, by 2Pac) and I used the N-word (with no bad intent).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCWY60hWJec

In my comment I asked where I can find the version without the N.....-rap, because I like the James Brown mix but without, well, the rap part by 2Pac.

In the end I found the right version and got my first, negative vote-removed youtube comment ... and I still have no idea when it's safe to say the N-word without causing offence to somebody, just like in that scene from "Poolhall Junkies", hehe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty3SArUjgvQ
    Ironically the original version of James Browns Payback is playing in the background there
    Last edited by jester131; 02-24-2013, 08:52 AM.
    If you like the actor JAMES McCAFFREY you NEED to watch my James McCaffrey COLLECTION

Re: My first, removed youtube-comment

I would not be using it in public at all. After all, its still a racial slur.

The term has evolved over the past century to become more culturally sensitive, for example - ****** -> Coloured -> African American. In modern times, the term is only suitable for those African Americans who wish to display some form of solidarity by calling each other that name. Its the same as if close friends call each other "brother".

Ultimately, its use in any public arena should be frowned upon.
    Remedy's currently known projects:
    Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Hulk Hogan calls everybody "brother" (hehe) and some black people are even offended by the term african american or afroamerican (when they are "real" americans, born in america).

I'm from austria and if I should ever visit america one day I wouldn't dare to use it in public (or at all, for that matter). Well, forums and comment sections on the internet can also be considered public, but because of the relative anonymity it happens more easily to be loose-tongued sometimes.

But as I said, I didn't mean to offend anybody by it to begin with, especially in a video comment related to Django Unchained I thought people would be more tolerant and get the, uhm ... joke.

PS:
      and the solidarity thing is very well displayed in the "Poolhall Junkies" clip.
      Last edited by jester131; 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM.
      If you like the actor JAMES McCAFFREY you NEED to watch my James McCaffrey COLLECTION

Comment

Weird because the movie uses it a lot, so you'd think the comments section would be pretty liberal when moderating against that. Though probably they just have an auto-flag on certain words and whoever checks these things doesn't apply the "does this make sense in context" check because it's one of those words that is immediately frowned upon 99% of the time, though was probably hilarious in this case.
        Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Now, I gotta confess that the exact term i used was "where can if find the version without that STUPID n....-rap?" (maybe I even used a smilie, I can't remember)
          So maybe the word "stupid" made all the difference ... idk

I think what made me say stupid is this:
          I heared the version without the 2pac rap in a trailer or somewhere and liked it so much, it really was disturbing and annoying at first to constantly hear the rap throughout the song.

Comment

Originally posted by jester131 View Post
            Now, I gotta confess that the exact term i used was "where can if find the version without that STUPID n....-rap?" (maybe I even used a smilie, I can't remember)
            So maybe the word "stupid" made all the difference ... idk
            In the film, there's a historical context for the word. It's there because it was a part of commonly used language over 150 years ago, and very different cultural standards prevailed. It's also there because the film has a certain kind of audacity about it, for better or for worse.

But you're not living 150 years ago, and you're not in a film. You're living today, and today, that's a loaded word to use. You weren't using it ironically, and you weren't using it to discuss the word, or to quote the movie, or anything of the sort. You were just using it just to refer to black people as a whole, in a wholeheartedly negative context.

That... is not a good thing to do.

If you're a white guy, it's a safe assumption that it's never safe for you to use the n-word without offending somebody. Never. That's not really true, but if you don't know for a fact that this is a good moment to do it, you should probably err on the side of not using it -- or get it wrong, and face the consequences... as you did. You might also want to bear in mind that on YouTube, you're not hanging out with people who know you and understand that you're not serious -- as far as anybody looking at it can see, you're just another racist. They have no reason to assume that you're actually a cool guy who's joking around.

They don't know your intentions. They only know that you're saying stuff that racists like to say.

This is a problem that is amazingly easy to solve just by not using the word. If you'd simply said, "where can I find a version without the rap?", we wouldn't be having this conversation.
            Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
              This is a problem that is amazingly easy to solve just by not using the word. If you'd simply said, "where can I find a version without the rap?", we wouldn't be having this conversation.
              This puts it in a nutshell!
              Thread closed, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by jester131 View Post
                This puts it in a nutshell!
                Thread closed, eh?
                Done.

Comment

Working...
                X