X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What game did you last play?

Originally posted by Danzaiver View Post
    Well right now I'm playing Deadly Preminition, it's a very sick game
    I'm still trying to bring myself to try this game out.

Comment

Originally posted by Danzaiver View Post
      Well right now I'm playing Deadly Preminition, it's a very sick game
      Well, we can finally agree about something.

DP is indeed very "sick". Love it.
      Back to square one
      As the swine take on the faces
      Of their masters

Comment

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack View Post
        Another one? I thought they had they´re hands full with the sequel at the moment, but okay. Let´s hope it doesn´t follow in Underdome´s footsteps. That DLC was both a gigantic waste of time and money.
        There's informations about it on the Gearbox forum, all i can say is its a plot involving Ninja Claptrap and is apparently gonna be the final DLC.

On-topic: Castlevania HD, this game is so much fun with people and even solo. At least it is for me as i am a hardcore fan of the serie.

Comment

Alan Wake on nightmare -- the end of the 2nd chapter is pretty tricky, I ran out of flares, etc, and had to fend of the birds with just my flashlight. Also, I wouldn't mind knowing when the best time to switch between the shotgun and the rifle is. I hate how games make choose between weapons now, when you've got virtually no idea what's coming up next.

By the way, did anyone get Mario Galaxy 2? I've had my eyes on it for a while, but being a first-party Nintendo game, there's no way it's going to drop in price. How does it compare to the first one?

Comment

After an initial disappointment, I think I'm enjoying ACII. It seems it's gonna take around 40 hours to complete.
            Origami models on my YouTube: GeneTheWinter

Comment

Originally posted by Libertarian View Post
              Well, we can finally agree about something.

DP is indeed very "sick". Love it.
              LOL yeah DP rocks! I just finished it last night, love it.

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post

By the way, did anyone get Mario Galaxy 2? I've had my eyes on it for a while, but being a first-party Nintendo game, there's no way it's going to drop in price. How does it compare to the first one?
              It is much better and more fun to play, trust me if you like Mario you will love this game.

Originally posted by GENE_BC View Post
              After an initial disappointment, I think I'm enjoying ACII. It seems it's gonna take around 40 hours to complete.
              Yahoo! Play the game it is really cool
              Alan Wake will be missed, Welcome Quantum Break
              Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense

Comment

With those opinions of yours for Deadly Premonition, I need to find this game ASAP !
                The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

Originally posted by TannosukeGR View Post
                  With those opinions of yours for Deadly Premonition, I need to find this game ASAP !
                  Yes you do. If you want to play a great game, that's unlike anything you have ever played before then you need to get Deadly Premonition.

Also if you are a Twin Peaks fan then Deadly Premonition is an instant buy, no questions asked. The game is AWESOME!!!
                  Defeat is not an option, they picked a fight with a warlock. I have Tiger blood and Adonis DNA. Duhh Winning.

Comment

More Alan Wake -- half way through chapter 3. The daylight levels look incredible, I wish there were more of them.

http://www.quakelive.com/ finally works in Chrome. Time to return to my favourite time waster.

EDIT: Ah, they've gone 'live' with premium, etc, modes... I guess they have to make off it somehow. Still good though.
                    Last edited by Maddieman; 08-07-2010, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Dragon Age: Origins and Lego: Harry Potter.

I know, they just have so much in common.

I'm not sure what I think about DA:O yet. I mean... Don't get me wrong, I've never been the person to care about resolution or graphics, really. But this game in some instances just seems so disappointingly ugly. I was watching one tear-jerking scene where a character died, and yet, all I could think was, "What's wrong with his shirt? It's so blurry and blockish." Honestly, for a Bioware game, I was really surprised with how horrible it looks sometimes. Maybe it's something to do with me playing it on the PS3 instead of a high-end PC, but I don't think the difference would be all that different. Would it?

And on another note, let me just get this off my chest. There is one major reason why I prefer adventure games over RPGs. The blocking in RPGs is horrendous. Dragon Age:Origins, Fallout 3, and yes, even Mass Effect most of the time. I am sick and tired of the sheer lack of stage direction in these massive story-fests. Take a look at Uncharted: the characters have extremely dynamic expressions, hand gestures, and do things as they talk- interact with objects, other characters. They wince, and you can immediately tell their quirks and personality from their vibrant body language.

Then look at Fallout 3. You're talking to any person. They could be discussing the fate of the world, and yet, look at their faces. They're standing like pencils, staring at you with empty eyes. In Dragon Age, where there should be some camera direction, there's hardly any- you're constantly faced with the same angle of someone's face as you talk to them. Sure, a good voice actor like Liam Neeson is great, but at one point while playing, I closed my eyes and imagined the characters moving and interacting as they spoke from a third person perspective. And you know what? It was so much more interesting. Something was actually happening, and I wasn't having a conversation with a bobblehead.

Sorry if this seems rant-ish, I just wanted to get that off my chest. These games are all fantastic- they're massive, often immersive, and rather fun. But the models need to act too, not just the people voicing them. It's so unbelievably boring for me to romance Alistair when his expressions are the same every time, even if his voice is shy and hilarious.

LONG SIGH. Anyway. It's fun. But I'm not going to buy it, partially because of previously mentioned comments. I'm just not meant for RPGs. Also, Gene, I'm very envious that you're enjoying ACII right now. I've beaten mine 100%- the first game I've ever done so for- and I really wish I had a reason to go back to it. Maybe I will soon.

On a side note, my local video store has a Master Assassin's Limited Edition ACII or somethingrather for $89. Is this rare enough that I should buy it before it's gone?
                      <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

Blocking?
                        NEVER FORGET
                        Jonathan "Maddieman" Hallier;
                        5/13/05 - 5/4/10, 5/21/10 -

Comment

In the context it's obvious, but it's a theatre term - positioning of characters, body language, acting, etc.
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocking_(stage)

Kitt's right of course -- Bethesda are notoriously bad, almost on a B-movie scale (the big climatic fights in Oblivion feel like a Monty Python interpretation of Lord of the Rings). There's no real animation there, it's all scripted by the mission designers. But technically, I'd say fallout3 and oblivion are edging on the previous gen games, compared to the newer ones, hence the static animation.

Mass Effect does a much better job, imo; but the problem is the same -- you've got hundreds of characters you can interact with, and reams of dialogue interactions to sift through. You can even break the immersion by asking the character the same thing, and getting the exact same response (not helped by the fact that some dialogue options change, even though the reply is the same).

Actually, both games reminded me of that scene in eXistenZ where they're talking to an NPC in the store. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

One solution, perhaps, is to use the animation technology in gta4, to procedurally create dialogue animations, and cameras to track them dramatically. Key scenes would be done by hand (so to speak), but everyday conversations could be randomised, with partial animations 'tagged' with particular dramatic responses and gestures (aggressive, defensive, embarrassed, laughing, scared, surprised, etc) with a value recording the intensity of the gesture (from subtle to extreme). The game tracks the 'mood' of the scene, and then picks an appropriate animation.

A more practical, but time costly solution, would be to record the motions of the voice actors while they're performing. I think that's what they did on Beowulf -- the entire film was 'shot' and recorded in mocap suits. Then all you have to do is place the actors into the game world, match the dialogue with the performances, set up the cameras and lights, and make sure they don't wander through a wall or something. But again, we're talking tons of dialogue, and tons of data.
                          Last edited by Maddieman; 08-08-2010, 10:32 AM.

Comment

60 Hours into Just Cause 2 at 60% complete. 4 Achievements left.

Comment

Originally posted by StarsRPD View Post
                              60 Hours into Just Cause 2 at 60% complete. 4 Achievements left.
                              I finished that game (and actually made a point to do side quests along the way beyond the requirements to unlock the main story) and was only on about 28% when i finished it... MASSIVE game world. Really fun. Tad repetive, but rewarding... though you basically are constantly on zero dollars and stealing a heli is better than buying good weapons generally...
                              Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Ah, yes, sorry- I was thinking of it from a drama perspective. I don't know what they'd call it from the game designer's perspective (file under animation?) but same basic concept. It's a visual medium like any play or film, just interactive.

But I hate having to sit through that. If you'll bear me using this example again, Uncharted uses a director with experience working in film and theatre. All of the cutscenes are shot in mo-cap suits, which are recorded and put directly into the game. Here's an interesting video that shows the process, and it's truly amazing. It basically goes over everything that bothers me about video game scenes today, and how something like this should really start becoming the standard for such massive titles and self-proclaimed storytellers. Story isn't just in the script- you can't write a novel solely on 'He/She said...'.

But I'll try not to steer this thread too off-topic. I'll just say that yes Maddie, watching a Bioware game... it's like watching a really horrible movies sometimes. All times. Maybe that's why I like Mass Effect more- it tries harder in that area.
                                <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

Working...
                                X